Upcoming Shout Factory releases

Discussion in 'General' started by Cujo108, Dec 19, 2009.

1. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

When they say "The footage is from a vintage VHS tape (we say this so to manage picture quality expectations) but it’s all there! " There was a VHS tape of this? What are they implying, that some guy had this on VHS, which was/is the only known existence? This one and only one VHS.

I haven't been following the cut/uncut story on this one film.

2. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

It was probably someone like Carl Fullerton who video taped the gore scenes. Savini did the same things on some of his films.

wago70 and baggio like this.
  3. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Now here's another question, which we may never know. Why now? Where was he or whoever with this tape 7 years ago when they were putting together the first collection? The collection were uncut scenes was the primary goal. In fact they have been talking about that scene for over 15 plus years I'm now finding out. Apparently, the guy/gal didn't have the internet or a phone. ;)

Zombie Dude likes this.
  4. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

It looks like Paramount may not have done their due dilligence on the first three films, previously, based on this 2009 interview with Daniel Farrands.

https://www.fridaythe13thfilms.com/...ut-his-name-was-jason-and-future-friday-dvds/

russweiss likes this.
  5. zbinks

I also wouldn't say that uncut scenes were a primary goal of the 2013 Blu-Ray set. Actually, I'd argue just the opposite, since Warner Brothers did not include the unrated director's cut of Jason Goes to Hell (previously available on VHS, laserdisc and DVD) on Blu-Ray. Speaking of, I wish they'd elaborate on what they mean by "UNCUT VERSION". Is it the previously released unrated director's cut or is it this?

6. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I would say with near certainty that it's the same Unrated version New Line released on VHS and DVD.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  7. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

The upcoming FRIDAY THE 13 boxed set from Scream Factory will include the uncut footage from Part 2. How it was found after being lost for almost 40 years is a great story! As many fans of the series know, several minutes were trimmed because of a crackdown by the MPAA on slasher movies. A few stills have surfaced over the years that gave a hint to what was missing, but despite many efforts over the years to find the footage, it was believed to have been lost or destroyed.

While prepping to shoot an interview with Bill Randolph for Part 2, I decided to re-watch the CRYSTAL LAKE MEMORIES documentary in order to avoid repeating stories that have already been discussed in depth for years. As expected, there was talk about the footage that was shot, but not included in the final cut due to ratings board. Greg Nicotero mentions that FX artist Carl Fullerton showed him the the footage in question. I wondered if anyone had reached out to Fullerton to see if he may still have the scenes that the fans have been dying to see for years. Bill Randolph (who wanted to see his scene as much as anyone else did) and I reached out to Fullerton to see if he still had it. We left a few voicemails and hoped for the best. With less than two weeks before our deadline, I received a call from Carl saying he had a VHS tape with all the material that was trimmed. However, he couldn’t remember exactly what was on it, but was kind enough to loan it to us for inclusion on the set.

Because I was terrified that if it was shipped via postal mail, it might get lost in transit, so I made arrangements to get the tape in person through my co-producer and pal, Peter Bracke. I joked with Peter that I should have gotten him a suitcase with handcuffs and a bodyguard as this most likely was the only copy in existence. Peter met up with Carl, who handed him the old cassette with a typewritten date of April 24, 1981 -- about a month before the film opened in theaters! What could be on the tape?

Now came the fun part, seeing if the tape was still viewable after all of these years. It's possible because of its age, it could have been blank or no longer viewable. We wouldn’t ’t know until we got it transferred. Shout Factory's Cliff MacMillan made arrangements to get it transferred at a top-notch facility. However, there was an issue: the lab indicated that the tape was stuck together. If pulled apart, the magnetic information could be stripped, which would mean that we would lose everything. The only solution: baking the tape in an oven overnight to separate the reels. The VHS would have to be taken apart, the reels would have placed into an oven and baked overnight to in order to make it playable. After waiting almost 40 years for this footage, we would have to wait another couple of days to see if “Operation: Baking With Jason “ was successful. So after the careful dismantling and baking operation, the tape was then put back into the cartridge so it could be transferred to a digital format.

Now for the moment of truth -- what’s on the tape and is it watchable? Eureka! “It’s alive!” After hearing so much about this footage over the years, I was astonished when viewing the contents for the first time. It appears that Fullerton knew the film was going to be trimmed, so he asked the editor to assemble the trims, and make a copy so he would have a them for his portfolio. The first thing you notice is that nearly every death is considerably longer! There are also few scenes that I didn’t even realize that were that trimmed, ie, Adrienne King’s death.

Even more surprising was the quality. At nearly four decades old, the tape gave me cause to worry, but what I discovered was that the older vintage of the tape actually worked in everyone’s favor. The VHS cassettes used back in the day were of a much higher quality than the ones used a few years later. In fact, I was surprised at how good the image quality was, especially considering the source.

I must have watched the footage found ten times, as I was in utter disbelief that I was finally seeing this material that was considered forever lost. Viewing it confirmed that it was no longer lost, but found. I want to thank Carl Fullerton for going the extra mile to get us the tape; Bill Randolph for reaching out to Carl; my co-producer, Peter Bracke for transporting the holy grail; and to Shout Factory's Cliff MacMillan and Jeff Nelson for keeping the faith. Every Friday the 13th fan owes them a big round of applause and their eternal gratitude.

Edwin Samuelson
    Director/Producer
    Samuelson Studios

FB_IMG_1599089737255.jpg

8. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

One of the best posts I've ever read.

gobad2003, loutoad23 and x666x like this.
  9. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

This is fantastic stuff! The old baking method is quite an art and has been used for some time for restoration. The Grateful Dead Betty boards from the late 70s had to go through a very similar method, as for any music that was captured on real to reel. @zbinks - you know all this!

“If you had looked in the box, you would say there was no way they can be recovered but they could, if you took the time to do it. The challenge is that you can’t play them until you bake them at a low temperature for an extended period of time. That reformulates the back coding, which is what the oxide is on, and the oxide is what the music is recorded on magnetically. The seven-inch reels were on plastic hubs but I couldn’t transfer those to metal reels because it would ruin the tapes. So I modified a food dehydrator that I use to dehydrate mushrooms I collect here in the mountains of Colorado in the summer time.”

buck135, zbinks and Zombie Dude like this.
  10. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I'm curious about the Rob Hedden commentary on Manhattan. It only lists one track. He recorded two solo ones, one for the Crystal Lake to Manhattan set, and one for the Deluxe Edition. Did they only include one of them? Or is that just a misprint, and both are included? I hope that's the case. It would be a shame if one was left off because somebody didn't realize that they were two different tracks...

11. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

This is the first I've heard of him doing two different tracks. Usually everything missing is called out when specs are announced, but I didn't hear anything about it when the old Blu set was announced or when specs went up for this Scream Factory edition. I also did a quick look at reviews and none mention a Hedden commentary on the Deluxe Edition.

12. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

Ugh. That's my mistake. I didn't think any of the Crystal Lake to Manhattan tracks had been carried over to the Deluxe Edition releases, but after giving them a quick listen, the solo track on the Deluxe Edition blu ray (which I dont think was present on the Deluxe Edition DVD) is the same track as the one on the Crysral Lake to Manhattan set. Which is kind of irritating on it's own...why wouldn't paramount carry all the previously recorded tracks over? Why just that one? Oh well...I suppose the new Scream Factory set will render that complaint moot.

13. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

Wow, that’s great! Kind of makes me wish I’d ordered this.

Oh well, can’t have it all.

Ugh, fuck you.

I really, really hate when when labels do stuff like this; give us the option to watch it as part of the movie, it's pointless on it's own. I went from reconsidering my decision not to buy this back to not caring in 3 sentences, way to go Scream Factory...

14. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Someone on Bluray.com pointed out that with the way it's worded it sounds like the tape just had those gore scenes so the effects guy could use them as examples for his resume. Whether that's the case or it was a full cut of the film isn't 100% clear.

15. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

I was assuming that the tape just had the gore effects but now that they have the tape they have everything they need to create a disc where the extra footage can be seamlessly branched into the movie if people want to see it that way, varying quality and all. It's just so incomprehensibly lame that they didn't bother to do this.

16. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Well that's what fan edits are for I guess. They still have never officially done this for The New Blood, and that's had the tape quality gore footage available for a while now. You can find some competent edits from fans that have reinserted it into the film and it works rather well. Seen a fan cut of The Final Chapter that added deleted scenes and gore that was rather impressive too.

Myron Breck and loutoad23 like this.
  17. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

I would have to respectfully disagree. That was the main thing people wanted(that and the entire set on Blu), it was the highlight of the set. Jason Goes to Hell was another story all together. That was just one film, plus everyone already saw the Unrated version already. The rest of the series, the uncut scenes were basically legend, always talked about, but never seen. Look what's going on right now with the new Shout collection. What is everyone talking about? When the set was first announced, I read several saying Unrated Jason Goes to Hell or No Sale. Look at the excitement over Part 2 news.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
  18. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Now imagine what a profession studio could do. I get it would take up a lot of room or more Discs, costly, etc... But there's really no excuse not to have three ways to watch the film. Original, uncut scenes put back in, and uncut scenes that you watch separate in a feature. Give people the choice.

f.ramses likes this.
  19. zbinks

I think you're conflating the 2013 Blu-Ray set with the 2009 Deluxe Edition DVDs, because the Blu-Ray set was mostly just a collection of the films and existing extras, with Parts 4 - X making their Blu-Ray debut. I don't recall it having any content that hadn't been released prior to 2013.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  20. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

My mistake. I was probably thinking of the DVD's. From Crystal Lake to Manhattan. Yeah, that's the set I was referring to. The main attraction being the cut scenes.