Upcoming Shout Factory releases

Discussion in 'General' started by Cujo108, Dec 19, 2009.

1. thing

thing Well-Known Member

2. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

3. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

***DRACULA (1979) (Collector’s Edition) Update***

Throughout history, Dracula has filled the hearts of men with fear and the hearts of women with desire. In this stylish production of Bram Stoker’s classic gothic horror tale, Frank Langella reprises his electrifying, award-winning stage performance as the bloodthirsty Count Dracula as he goes in search of his ultimate bride. Meanwhile, the renowned and relentless vampire hunter, Professor Van Helsing (Sir Laurence Olivier), seeks to end the dark prince’s reign of terror over the citizens of Transylvania. Directed by John Badham (Saturday Night Fever), featuring an all-star cast and a superbly atmospheric score by the great John Williams, DRACULA (1979) is an unforgettable adaption of one of the most enduring horror legends of all time.

Details we have on our release at the moment are as follows:

• National street date for North America (Region A) is November 26th.
    • As announced earlier, this is being presented as a 2-Disc Blu-ray Collector’s Edition and will come guaranteed with a slipcover in its first three months of release.
    • Includes a new HD transfer of the theatrical version as seen in theaters in 1979 with full color as well as the alternate director-approved version of the film created in 1991 for home video with a muted color palette.
    • The newly commissioned artwork you see pictured comes to us from artist Mark Maddox (Dracula: Prince of Darkness). This art will be front-facing and the reverse side of the wrap will feature the original theatrical artwork.
    • New and existing extras will be announced on a later date.

Pre-order now directly from us @ https://www.shoutfactory.com/p…/dracula-collector-s-edition…
    The first 500 orders from our site will receive an exclusive limited-edition 18” x 24” rolled poster of the exclusive new illustration.

[​IMG]

***PROPHECY Update***

1979’s gruesome nature-gone-awry cult classic is finally coming to Blu-ray! Planned release date is November 26th.

Robert Foxworth (Damien: Omen II) and Talia Shire (Rocky, The Godfather) star as a doctor and his wife who travel to Maine to research the impact of the lumber industry on the local environment. They begin to investigate a succession of mysterious and terrifying events: ecological freaks of nature and a series of bizarre and grisly human deaths. Something unimaginably horrible waits in the woods … something unwittingly created by man, that will become an uncontrollable, merciless machine of destruction. Veteran director John Frankenheimer (The Manchurian Candidate) and writer David Seltzer (The Omen) presents “a gritty, violent, and deadly film that [packs] a death punch with very vivid, nightmarish special effects …” (Bloody Disgusting).

Extras to be announced on a later date, but we can confirm today that we have a new interviews with Talia Shire, Robert Foxworth and David Seltzer! Pre-order now @ https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/prophecy…

[​IMG]

4. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

***THE ABOMINABLE SNOWMAN Update***

Legendary horror icon Peter Cushing stars in Hammer Films’ chill-you-to-the-bone tale of THE ABOMINABLE SNOWMAN. Coming soon to Blu-ray on November 19th.

Botanist Dr. John Rollason (Cushing) decides to join the exploration team of crass, American showman Tom Friend (Forrest Tucker) on a dangerous expedition into the Himalayas to search for the legendary Yeti. Soon after setting up camp, the group is attacked by a large beast which is shot by trapper Ed Shelley (Robert Brown) and stored in a cave to attract a live specimen. A smart, suspenseful and scary film that will set both your imagination and your fear of the unknown running wild, The Abominable Snowman is “definitely one of the best of Hammer’s earlier outings” (The Telltale Mind).

Extras to be announced on a later date. Pre-order now @ https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/the-abominable-snowman…

[​IMG]

***THE FAN Update***

The underrated 1981 NYC-based slasher film is coming to Blu-ray for the first time! Slated for release on November 19th.

Based on the best-selling novel by Bob Randall, Hollywood legend Lauren Bacall (The Big Sleep) and Michael Biehn (The Terminator) tear up the screen in this edge-of-your-seat thriller. Sally Ross (Bacall) is a renowned Broadway star, glamorous celebrity, and the object of adoration of countless admirers. But among all the loving little people lurks a young man (Biehn) whose devotion teeters on the edge of madness. His impassioned letters to her are initially a source of pleasure, but as he attempts to realize his ultimate fantasy – and is met with rejection – the stakes are raised to terrifying heights … which might bring on the final curtain for Sally. Co-stars include Maureen Stapleton (Reds) and James Garner (The Rockford Files).

The film also had some rich pedigree behind the scenes: It was produced by Robert Stigwood (Grease), directed by Edward Bianchi (Deadwood), edited by Oscar-Winner Alan Heim (All That Jazz), shot by cinematographer Dick Bush (Sorcerer, Crimes of Passion) and scored by legendary genre composer Pino Donaggio (Dressed to Kill, Carrie, The Howling).

Extras to be announced on a later date, but we can confirm today that we have a new interview with “The Fan” himself, Michael Biehn! Pre-order now @ https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/the-fan?product_id=7232

[​IMG]

wago70 likes this.
  5. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

***ROAD GAMES (Collector’s Edition) Update***

Stacy Keach (Nebraska) is Pat Quid, a lone trucker who plays games to keep his sanity on long hauls through the desolate Australian Outback. Jamie Lee Curtis (Halloween) is a free-spirited hitchhiker looking for excitement with a game of her own. And somewhere up ahead is a maniac in a van whose game may be butchering young women along the highway. But when the killer decides to raise the stakes, Quid's game becomes personal ... and the rules of this road are about to take some very deadly turns. Director Richard Franklin (Psycho II) packs plenty of Hitchcock-like twists and suspense into this sly shocker that was nominated for four Australian Film Institute Awards and remains one of the most surprising thrillers of the '80s.

Current details we have on our upcoming release are as follows:

• National street date for North America (Region A) is November 12th.
    • As announced earlier, this is being presented as a Blu-ray Collector’s Edition and will come guaranteed with a slipcover in its first three months of release.
    • The newly commissioned artwork you see pictured comes to us from artist Joel Robinson (The Blob, Vice Squad, Candyman). This art will be front-facing and the reverse side of the wrap will feature the original theatrical artwork.
    • New and existing extras will be announced on a later date, but we can confirm today that we have a new interview with actor Stacy Keach.

Pre-order now directly from us @ https://www.shoutfactory.com/…/road-games-collector-s-editi…. The first 500 orders from our site will receive an exclusive limited-edition 18” x 24” rolled poster of the new illustration.

[​IMG]

6. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

Details for Fear No Evil:

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=25522

"NEW Audio Commentary With Actor Stefan Arngrim
    • NEW Interview With Actor Stefan Arngrim
    • NEW Interview With Special Effects Artist John Eggett
    • Audio Commentary With Writer/Director Frank Laloggia And Cinematographer Frederic Goodich
    • Theatrical Trailer
    • TV Spots
    • Still Gallery
    • Optional English subtitles for the main feature"

loutoad23, wago70 and Erick H. like this.
  7. Nailwraps

MorallySound likes this.
  8. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Nice! Will definitely be getting that Abbot & Costello Blu-ray collection. Watched a handful of the films over the last couple years and they hold up incredibly well.

Nailwraps likes this.
  9. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I love the idea of an Abbott & Costello set, but who am I kidding, I'm not going to watch them.

I do own the ones in the Universal Monsters sets.

10. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

That’s my line of reasoning. I wound up spending thousands of dollars on DVDs over the decades buying classics that, while I liked, usually get passed over in favor of “lesser” films that I enjoy more. I try to stay away from that behavior now.

11. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

My purchasing slowed partly for the same reason. Time and interests keep a lot of "that looks interesting at the time purchases" collecting dust later.

I temper that with the (possibly false) expectation that I'll get around to watching them when I'm retired. Obvious question becomes, will it be the same media copy I've already spent money on, or will that have been a wasted purchase rebought?

I have friends that hit the theater several times a week, stay current with numerous streaming series from multiple services, and frequently spin up old flicks often gleefully knowing they're crap. I've no idea how they find the time, if I had that kind of time I wouldn't have a DVD backlog.

12. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Just a heads-up if anyone orders a lot of their SF titles from Hamilton Book. They got "complaints" (see their statement here) about their prices being too low, so have decided to no longer carry SF titles. They will still have existing In Stock titles on their website until they sell out, but will no longer be restocking.

chancetx and shape22 like this.
  13. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

This is like a tale of two philosophically opposed companies--and it certainly confirms why Shout! titles rarely seem to hit even semi-attractive price points. I applaud Hamilton Book for taking the high road. As for Shout!, they drop another notch with me. Hamilton Book typically sells only the older, tapped-out Shout! titles. Why Shout! would continue to demand above-market pricing for those titles is a mystery Peter Graves, Robert Stack, and Leonard Nimoy couldn't solve if they pooled their efforts (and were alive).

It saddens me to think that Shout! seems to be taking over more and more of the genre market. Synapse, Vinegar Syndrome, and others do a far better job presenting the films they license. Getting definitive confirmation that the Shout! price gouging is actually THEIR POLICY will make me even more resentful when I'm forced to deal with them to acquire a title I covet.

I guess this is the kind of thing we'll be dealing with more and more as physical media continues its slow fade. Depressing.

14. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Hopefully more sites will give shout the push, making them question and hopefully re-visit their current tactics.

15. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Wow. Not too sure how Shout can enforce MAP on Hamilton unless they put the squeeze on someone else who in turn squeezed Hamilton.

I hadn't bought a Shout title for over two years until Hamilton Books finally put these up a few months ago and I even bought crap like Hercules II! I kinda regret it now and I'm probably even less likely to ever buy a Shout release again.

But I don't begrudge Shout trying to keep prices up. We had a race to the bottom and that may ultimately have hurt physical media in the long run. However Shout's lackluster quality means that I'm not willing to pay the premium prices. Premium prices demand premium quality. At their prices I can import a UK, German or even just wait out their release for another US distributor and gets something better quality for about the same price if not cheaper. I regularly import Arrow UK releases and still save around $10.

What's interesting to me is that of the stuff I'm selling on eBay I haven't seen people stepping up to pay more for Shout Factory releases. I have old Anchor Bay DVDs that are obsolete but still manage to sell for more than I thought. But Shout titles routinely under perform. I don't think Shout is garnering the loyalty for its brands that they seem to think they deserve.

satans-sadists likes this.
  16. chancetx

chancetx Well-Known Member

I wondered how they were able to price recent Shout/Scream titles so far below other retailers. I was hoping they might restock some titles I missed out on recently - they had the Night of the Creeps blu for $18 and it sold out in less than a day. I might have to grab a few more titles while they're still available.

Myron Breck and Katatonia like this.
  17. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

I have never even heard of this site until now (wtf, guys?) so I picked up TWO-MINUTE WARNING, HERCULES 2, and EXTERMINATOR 2. Those prices are bonkers.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  18. Nailwraps

Details for Vampires CE:

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=25554

"NEW Time to Kill Some Vampires – an interview with composer/director John Carpenter, producer Sandy King Carpenter and cinematographer Garry B. Kibbe
    • NEW Jack the Slayer – an interview with actor James Woods
    • NEW The First Vampire – an interview with actor Thomas Ian Griffith
    • NEW Raising the Stakes – an interview with special effects artist Greg Nicotero
    • NEW Padre – an interview with actor Tim Guinee
    • Audio Commentary by composer/director John Carpenter
    • Isolated Score
    • Vintage Making of featurette
    • Theatrical Trailer
    • TV Spots
    • Still Gallery
    • Optional English SDH subtitles for the main feature"
    And a little late for this, but here are the extras for Endless Love available tomorrow:

https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/endless-love?product_id=7130

"NEW 2K Scan From The Interpositive
    • NEW Audio Commentary With Film Historian Lee Gambin
    • NEW Interview With Actor Martin Hewitt
    • NEW Audio Interview With Actress Penelope Milford
    • NEW Audio Interview With Actor Jeff Marcus
    • NEW Audio Interview With Actress Shirley Knight
    • Theatrical Trailer
    • Image Gallery"

Plus, Rock n' Roll High School 40th Anniversary Steelbook:
    https://www.shoutfactory.com/produc...anniversary-edition-steelbook?product_id=7221

and The (Eddie Murphy) Nutty Professor Collection:
    https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/the-nutty-professor-collection?product_id=7230

And a Blu-ray.com review for The Harder They Come:
    https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Harder-They-Come-Blu-ray/82857/#Review

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  19. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Myron Breck and zbinks like this.
  20. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Very interested in ROCK N ROLL HIGH SCHOOL if there's some new extras--I've bought it three times already, but it's so much fun.