Upcoming Shout Factory releases

Discussion in 'General' started by Cujo108, Dec 19, 2009.

1. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

**MORE NEW TITLES THIS SUMMER!**

We have not one, not two, but THREE new Universal titles from the '50s landing onto Blu-ray in June!

THE MONOLITH MONSTERS (1957) - A giant meteor crashes to Earth near the small town of San Angelo and local geologist Ben Gilbert (Phil Harvey, The Deadly Mantis) brings a fragment back to his lab for testing. Shortly afterwards, fellow geologist Dave Miller (Grant Williams, The Leech Woman) arrives to find the lab filled with rocks ... and Ben is dead ... his body turned completely to stone! Now in a desperate race against time, Dave and Professor Arthur Flanders (Trevor Bardette, Death Valley Days) must unlock the secret of the deadly rocks from outer space before they turn the world to stone and destroy mankind! Also featuring Lola Albright (Peyton Place), William Schallert (The Man From Planet X), and Troy Donahue (Monster On The Campus), The Monolith Monsters ratchets up the "tension and suspense ... and the actors really put it across to the viewer, creating a very compelling film" (The Telltale Mind)!

Street date (U.S. & Canada): 6/18/19

THIS ISLAND EARTH (1955) - Prepare to blast off from planet Earth with one of the most popular classic sci-fi films of all time! When atomic scientist Dr. Meacham (Rex Reason, The Creature Walks Among Us) is chosen to take part in a top-secret research experiment in a remote lab, he quickly discovers that he is really involved in an evil scheme by alien Metalunans to take over Earth. After he and the gorgeous Dr. Adams (Faith Domergue, It Came From Beneath The Sea) make their escape shortly before the lab explodes, they are whisked away in a flying saucer to Metaluna, where they are blamed for the destruction. Will interstellar negotiation save the day or will the scientists be forced to take part in a treacherous battle to the death?

Street date (U.S. & Canada): 6/25/19

MONSTER ON THE CAMPUS (1958) - Fear stalks the seemingly tranquil halls of Dunsfield University with the arrival of a prehistoric fish, the coelacanth. The terror begins when a student's dog laps up water that has been contaminated by the fish and turns into a savage wolf attacking Madeline Howard (Joanna Moore, Touch Of Evil). The school's paleontology professor, Donald Blake (Arthur Franz, The Caine Mutiny), is accidentally bitten by the coelacanth and blacks out, only to find that a hulking beast has killed one of his friends. Somehow, contact with this fish's prehistoric blood causes a total collapse of evolution, turning animals and humans into mindless, murderous monsters!

Street date (U.S. & Canada): 6/25/19

Extras are in progress on all three films and will be announced on a later date.

[​IMG]

2. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    Great releases! Just look at that great artwork!

3. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

4. chancetx

chancetx Well-Known Member

I'm sure it comes down to economics. Halloween II & III are titles Scream knows people will double dip on. I don't think there would be the same returns for Cat People or Deadly Blessing unfortunately. Although if they were able to license Nightmare on Elm Street or the Scream series I could see them revisiting some of their other Craven titles the way they've upgraded the Carpenter library.

5. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I dunno if I totally agree with that. I get what you’re saying and it’s true that Halloween II and III are bigger titles. But, if they put out a remastered version of Cat People, I guarantee you that would be a massive seller. Why? It has a big cult following, Paul Schrader is a well-known director and it’s ALWAYS looked like crap on home video. Every single blu-ray release comes from the same dated, over-processed garbage scan that’s like 20 years old. To FINALLY have a remastered version of Cat People I feel would go over very well with fans. Their previous CE also sucked in the features dept so this would be another opportunity for them to do this title right.

If they could afford to do new remasters of Ninja 3 and 10 to Midnight I don’t see why Cat People wouldn’t do well. It also came out five years ago now so really it’s about time.

~Matt

6. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

On the plus side however, SF just announced a collector’s edition of The Entity coming out June 11!

The only thing that concerns me is that this might be a US-only release. Which is kinda weird. Fuck this is gonna be such a pain in the ass to get if it’s a US-only release. Wonder why. It’s owned by Fox in both Canada/US.

~Matt

Katatonia likes this.
  7. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

^^^ Oh hell yeah! Maybe The Entity will finally get a worthy special edition Blu-ray with a new transfer.

I can't say I like their new artwork much though... o_O

hots4 and Matt89 like this.
  8. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

No new transfer, they already confirmed on fb that they tried that and were refused the opportunity to give the film a new scan. Probably has a lot to do with the Fox/Disney merger is my guess.

I’m actually okay with that though, I held off on buying every blu release because none of them had features. And the transfer was fine. It could use a new scan sure but it’s not like the current HD master is a disaster. I’ve seen caps, it looks fine.

Not a fan of the new artwork either.

~Matt

Katatonia likes this.
  9. Katatonia

That sucks, but at least they tried I guess. I already have the US, UK & German Blu-rays... with the German the best of the lot as far as the encode and extras go. The transfer isn't "bad" but it could certainly use a newer scan. Shout will have to do a damn good high bit-rate encode to top the German Blu-ray's encode though, I will say that.

Hopefully they get some worthy new extras, or it won't really be worth quad-dipping. o_O I see they are porting over "all" of the old DVD extras at least.

Matt89 likes this.
  10. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Does this mean Shout has Fox titles? Did I miss that licensing deal?

11. Katatonia

I don't know either. They had a Disney deal at least with releasing Gravity Falls, but I thought the Fox/Disney deal had yet to be finalized.

12. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

The Disney/Fox deal finalizes this Friday! And yes, Fox always sublicensed titles to Shout! (Rhoda, Hill Street Blues, Lake Placid, and until recently Terror Train), but recently film titles have been quiet until MMPR: The Movie and Warning Sign. Guess they renewed their sublicensing agreement. That being said, I'm more confident of a CE of Freaked now than ever before!

And with that said, another Shout Select title has been announced for June; Snow Falling on Cedars
    https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/snow-falling-on-cedars-collector-s-edition?product_id=7084

13. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I don't think Shout had much input on that. Shout routinely says they take what the licensor gives them. Universal did the new scans and I figure with Halloween II and III it was simply that Universal knew a sequel was in works so those got put on the "to do" pile some time ago. These could have been offered to Shout out of the blue (I know Twilight Time says that happens to them). Shout could have asked Universal for Cat People to be remastered and were simply told "Sales analytics says no, how about Halloween II and III instead?" Plus there's some good interviews out there with Don May Jr. working with studio's labs trying to get proper scans of the right materials the studio is holding and it can take years because each new request go to the bottom of the pile.

I think you give great examples. But as big as Shout is as an independent distributor they're still just a small voice of many shouting from the outside at Universal Corporate. Maybe I myself have been in the corporate world too long but it just plain makes sense to me because that's how it works sometimes. You get marching orders to do something that doesn't seem to be the best strategy but it took 6 months to get this plan together and it would take another 6 months to change it. So you do the work now and you put in your suggestions how to proceed going forward.

Shout consistently takes the path of least resistance. "What have you got? OK we'll take this, that and the other." They don't initiate much on their own.

14. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

The artwork is terrible.

Katatonia and x666x like this.
  15. Nailwraps

16. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Nailwraps likes this.
  17. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

It's fitting because so is the movie :p It honestly surprises me so many people seem to enjoy this one. I've seen it twice and found it lacking and slow. The concept itself is really cool but the movie kind of goes nowhere with it.

maybrick likes this.
  18. Nailwraps

Details for The Green Inferno CE:

http://www.nightmarishconjurings.com/2019/03/08/news-scream-factory-presents-the-green-inferno/

"Two-disc set – includes the exclusive original CD soundtrack by Manuel Riverio with bonus tracks not included in the film
    • NEW Into the Green Inferno – an interview with co-writer/producer/director Eli Roth
    • NEW Uncivilized Behavior: Method Acting in The Green Inferno – featuring interviews with actors Lorenza Izzo, Daryl Sabara and Kirby Bliss Blanton
    • NEW Behind the Scenes footage – includes nearly an hour of never-before-seen footage
    • Audio Commentary with co-writer/producer/director Eli Roth, producer Nicolás López and cast members Lorenza Izzo, Aaron Burns, Kirby Bliss Blanton and Daryl Sabara
    • Original Publicity Featurettes including The Making of The Green Inferno
    • Theatrical Trailer
    • TV Spots
    • Still Galleries – Storyboards and Makeup Tests, Behind-the-Scenes photos, Village Construction, and movie stills"

And the Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers The Movie Blu-ray is getting an individual release:
    https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/mighty-morphin-power-rangers-the-movie?product_id=7074

Natas and fceurich39 like this.
  19. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

Found the universal bluray at a pawnshop of Green Inferno for $3 happy with that as for the film I thought it was OK.

20. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Coincidentally, exactly what the film is worth. You got a fair deal.