Upcoming Shout Factory releases

Discussion in 'General' started by Cujo108, Dec 19, 2009.

1. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Oh they're bad. I'm not going to argue that, I'm well aware of their shortcomings lol. But they were childhood favorites of mine so I've been waiting forever for a CE. If I saw them now for the first time I'd probably hate them. The first one holds up well though, but it's in a completely different league than the sequels (although Jerry Goldsmith's score on part II is really great).

The older daughter didn't come back for the sequel because the actress who played her actually died shortly after the first film came out. Dominique Dunne (her brother is Griffin Dunne from American Werewolf) was murdered by her boyfriend, strangled to death at her own home. It's really sad, actually. Then Julian Beck, who played the reverend Kane died directly after they shot part II (but before it came out) and Will Sampson who played Taylor (the Native American) also died the year after Poltergeist II. Then obviously O'Rourke died the year after that in 1988.

People tend to call it the Poltergeist curse. Lol maybe it's why they stopped making them.

~Matt

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
    Zombie Dude likes this.
  2. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

My god, I knew a bunch of the actors involved in these films eerily died around the same time but I had no idea Dominique Dunne was actually murdered, and at such a young age too. That's terribly sad. She was fantastic in Poltergeist.
    Do they cover any of the "Poltergeist curse" on the new Scream Factory discs?

3. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I don't know if they address the Poltergeist curse in the new docs, I'm waiting till tomorrow when it comes out lol. Can't wait to watch these. There aren't a ton of interviews. Understandably. Everyone's dead. But it's gonna be interesting hearing the director commentaries on both movies, 4 in total. Crazy. And the long lost alternate ending of part III. Still can't believe they found that.

I'm not even kidding these are two of my most anticipated releases this year. The screenshots on caps-a-holic look great. They fixed the color timing at the end of part 2.

I really have to give Shout credit. They have really been putting a lot of effort into their films lately (for the most part) and their new transfers actually look as good as Arrow's best.

And they just announced Streets of Fire which was probably my most anticipated blu-ray ever. New scan for that one too.

~Matt

Zombie Dude likes this.
  4. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

5. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

True, but at least 2 retains some of the feel. Whereas 3 is just another film entirely.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  6. SilentScreams

SilentScreams Member

Didn't Gary Sherman swear up and down that they never shot an alternate ending? I seem to recall an interview where he vehemently denied that the current ending was a reshoot even though there was a picture of the original ending that ran in Fangoria and one of the actors admitted there was a reshoot after Heather's death. Interesting that they were able to get Sherman's involvement and include the original ending. I wonder if Sherman still denies its existence in the commentary?

Zombie Dude likes this.
  7. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

I've never seen Streets of Fire but it looks like something I would totally dig.

8. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

Yeah but the flack he was mentioning was towards Psycho '98 and not Pee Wee. You're just trying, quite desperately, to dethrone DVD-fan 9 as the king of unpopular opinions.

Stop trying.

Streets of Fire is a fun flick!

9. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Very weird. His films are all over the place.

DVD-fanatic-9 likes this.
  10. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Yeah. Dominique's father was an advocate for years after her murder trying to get justice and to help those being stalked by partners in domestic abuse situations.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  11. Nailwraps

12. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

Dominique Dunne's murder was messed up all ways round,, her killer only got like less than 3 years. blatting beat her up a lot and everyone knew it and no one did anything about it...

Zombie Dude likes this.
  13. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Yeah it's really sad. She was on an episode of some TV show around the time that Poltergeist was filmed and she played an abuse victim and apparently she didn't even need makeup she had been beaten so badly by her boyfriend.

They eventually broke up and he came by her house to talk things through and it started to get heated and he ended up strangling her in her driveway.

~Matt

Zombie Dude likes this.
  14. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

As someone who actually watched Virus last October, nothing to be excited for.

15. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Seriously heart breaking. I can't believe the bf got less than 3 years! That's disgusting if true. The justice system needs some serious work.

Anthropophagus and Harry Warden like this.
  16. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

[​IMG]

Nailwraps and Anthropophagus like this.
  17. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

I love Enter The Dragon. Feedback on these? I have not seen either. Thank you.

18. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

We are now taking pre-orders for our upcoming release of the 1992 horror comedy THE VAGRANT which makes its Blu-ray format debut in the U.S. & Canada! Release date is planned for May 23rd.

Ambitious young executive Graham Krakowski (Bill Paxton--Aliens, Titanic) has plotted out every move of this life and career. What he didn't plan on was a creepy vagrant living opposite his new home. And when the mysterious man (Marshall Bell--Total Recall, Virus) sneaks into Graham's home... and starts playing sick mind games, he is driven to take matters into his own hands. Detective Ralf Barfuss (Michael Ironside--Scanners) stays hot on Graham's trail while Graham wages war against the unrelenting vagrant, who is robbing him of his sanity… and quite possibly his life. The comedic psychological thriller is directed by special effects wizard Chris Walas (The Fly, Raiders of the Lost Ark).

Extras (though slim) will be announced at a later date. Pre-order now directly through us @ https://www.shoutfactory.com/film/film-horror/the-vagrant to receive early shipping.

19. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

That show she was on was hill street blues. you can find it on you tube. man, he really beat her up, she looked worse than rocky. Anyway. I always wonder if the judge had some gripes with her dad and the family to give the guy such a light sentence. I seen jay walkers get more time..

Zombie Dude likes this.
  20. Nailwraps

Zombie Dude likes this.