Upcoming Shout Factory releases

Discussion in 'General' started by Cujo108, Dec 19, 2009.

1. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Myself and many other got corrected ones during the pre-order early shipping. Here's what the correct inner ring reads.
    [​IMG]

Myron Breck and buck135 like this.
  2. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Ugh Poltergeist II and III are delayed everywhere (it was supposed to come out in Canada this week as opposed to next week in the states). It's in stock on Amazon.ca, and it was $31.49 and I was going to pre-order it but decided to pick it up in store on release day, only to find out that it's been delayed. But now they're up to $40 each on Amazon. Which is fucking insane. Like wtf. I'm not paying that.

~Matt

3. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

Scream Factory titles are grossly overpriced. the only ones i buy on release are the SE's. All the others I just sit on until they drop below $20.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  4. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

HMV has some good prices. A lot of Scream titles (not CE's) are $20 or 2/$30. I grabbed a ton just before Christmas.

But the best place to get SF CE's is Bay St Video. They're usually significantly cheaper than Amazon (ususally $29-32). That's usually where I go. But their stock was delayed too.

I'm so excited for the Poltergeist sequels (even though they're not great films I still love them). I had asked Shout if they had plans to release them years ago and they said they didn't at the time. So the announcement was a total surprise.

~Matt

DVD-fanatic-9 likes this.
  5. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I haven't been to Bay St. Video in a long time. I'm in Brampton, so it's pretty far out of my way.

You're absolutely right about HMV and their good SF prices, to a point. It seems like anything that was released in the last year is still expensive. Bad Moon, Death Wish II, Lady in White, Sssssss, Session 9, Hellhole, they're all still $25-30. I don't know if something changed with their distributor, or if HMV just waits a certain amount of time to discount them. I keep checking every time I go in, but so far no movement. As much as I want many of those discs, there's no way I'm spending that much on them.

I'm also excited for the Poltergeist sequels. Hopefully they show up soon. My pre-orders are still wallowing in pre-shipping hell, though, as seems to be the trend with amazon lately.

6. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Nope. I bought it in Pittsburgh about a month after it came out.

7. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Then you're fine.

~Matt

8. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Yep,

9. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Zombie Dude likes this.
  10. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

They failed basic math. Average of those numbers comes out to 3.75.

DVD-fanatic-9, Matt89 and Zombie Dude like this.
  11. delicreep

delicreep Well-Known Member

I saw the Replay rating as 2.5, but did not see an overall score.

DVD-fanatic-9 likes this.
  12. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Since the store was mentioned I've been informed that HMV is doing really poorly as of late, apparently the Toronto Eaton Center location has been closed and pretty much all locations around Ottawa are underperforming, a 40% drop in sales volume with the corresponding period last year.
    My friend who is an assistant manager is losing her job next month, she was told that most stores will only retain a manager and part-time staff as the lack of business does not make it feasible to retain much staff anymore.
    There was a conscious effort to move beyond music and film into the area of merchandise and collectibles which seems to have been a disaster. My friend also mentioned that several distributors are hesitant to get their stock into HMV's hands at this point, for what reason I did not get into though it seems to be a recurring theme as many popular artists are no longer being stocked at locations near me.
    I will concur that they always had a great inventory of Scream Factory titles, and they often went out of their way to feature them prominently and not just at Halloween either. Some of these were impulse buys for me of films previously unseen and I enjoyed most of them tremendously.
    I hope that HMV can survive these tough times, we've already lost Sam The Record Man, Discus, A&A Records and Tapes and Tower Records, it would be nice to still have one actual store to shop for entertainment at rather than being dependent on online retailers exclusively.

13. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Lol, that's great. Obviously they have no idea what they're doing.

14. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Yes, I hope they survive too. When my buddies and I went to Toronto practically every month during the 1990's, I would shop at HMV all the time. Great chain. I remember Sam the Record Man. Loved that store too. And Sunrise Records was good. The only chain left in the U.S. is FYE. There are still about 4 locations within 60 miles of me. I hate that brick and mortar stores are disappearing. It just makes me sad.

Anthropophagus likes this.
  15. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

That's too bad about your friend. I've been hearing that they've been doing poorly for a while now. The one at Yorkdale closed, and so did the big one at Square One, replaced by a little outlet-type. The flagship store at Yonge and Dundas downsized, too, I think, although I haven't been there in a while.

To call the merchandise and collectibles a disaster is an understatement. Who needs a $60 batman cookie jar? For fuck sake, what a waste of space that shit is. It also pisses me off how they always advertise sales on giant banners in their windows, and then you go in to find that it's only on the garbage they carry at the front. We went in on boxing day, and that was the only stuff they had discounted. I swear, in the last few years that they've been desperately trying to sell that junk, I don't think I've ever (I mean EVER) seen someone buy any of it. It just sits there gathering dust.

It's so sad to see it on it's last legs. It used to be such a wonderful place.

We also lost Music World, and an amazing chain (there were 3 of them around the GTA) called Starstruck Entertainment. It's really a bummer.

Anthropophagus likes this.
  16. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

I used to work at Music World in Montreal in the late-nineties. It was indeed a great place with wonderful staff and management.
    Most of the actual in-store staff, including my friend, will admit that the merch and collectibles transition is pure shit yet head office continues to tout this as the next generation HMV. I have written to them to express how out of touch I think they are with their client base. Vinyl is experiencing quite the renaissance now, huge stores like the HMV Downtown Montreal have quite a selection while the smaller stores have next to nothing. In Ottawa, a relatively small city, we have about a half dozen vinyl shops all of whom are doing remarkably well as it stands HMV's selection cannot come close to competing and the staff will admit this.

dave13 likes this.
  17. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

18. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

Since HMV is being discussed here, they have unfortunately went bankrupt. Sucks

19. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I saw that today. I guess we now need to keep an eye out so that we can take advantage of the inevitable cannibalization phase where they start to liquidate their product. that's always a bitter sweet time. i remember buying a ton from Music World when they went under. Great deals, but sad.

20. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Damn, really sucks that HMV is going under. I'll miss the Yonge/Dundas location. But a lot have disappeared lately so I'm kind of not surprised. There was one at Yonge/Bloor, College/Beverley, one in the Eaton Centre and one underground at First Canadian Place. They've all since gone so it was really only a matter of time.

~Matt