Upcoming Shout Factory releases

Discussion in 'General' started by Cujo108, Dec 19, 2009.

1. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

I had never seen The Vagrant until a few years ago and damn I love that movie. I voted for that as I would love to have it on Blu!

2. gobad2003

gobad2003 Well-Known Member

I'm in for:
    Arena
    Bee Girls
    Vicous Lips
    Vagrant
    Angry Red Planet, The

3. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

I voted for Arena and The Vagrant as well.

But, my first vote went to What's the Matter with Helen? (Not that that vote being first of 5 meant more or anything. It's the thought.)

Harry Warden and fceurich39 like this.
  4. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

I voted for this too. Would love to see it released on blu.

DVD-fanatic-9 likes this.
  5. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

From Facebook:

We are proud to announce that we have FOUR new IFC Midnight films planned for release on Blu-ray & DVD this Dec!

THE DEVIL’S DOLLS - A serial killer's curse unleashes a season of slaughter in the backwoods of Mississippi. According to an ancient Guatemalan tradition, parents teach their children to allay their troubles by giving them handmade "worry dolls" just before bedtime. But when several of these talismans — which once belonged to a notorious mass murderer — find their way into the hands of unsuspecting residents of a small Southern town, it sets off a grisly wave of bloodshed. The latest from Rites of Spring director Padraig Reynolds is a voodoo-slasher shocker bursting with scarily inventive kills.

Streets 12/6 Pre-order now @ https://www.shoutfactory.com/film/film-horror/the-devil-s-dolls
    Check out the trailer @ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0E6AKBZZMMs

SHELLEY - An unholy force takes root in an expectant mother's womb in this eerie, dread-inducing shocker. Privileged, nouveau-eco-hippies Louise (Ellen Dorrit Petersen) and Kasper (Peter Christoffersen) live off the grid in a remote home in the woods. Unable to conceive, the couple arranges for their immigrant maid, Elena (Cosmina Stratan), to act as a surrogate mother in exchange for payment. But as Elena becomes mysteriously sicker with each passing day, fears mount about what may be growing inside her. The debut feature from director Ali Abbasi is a stylish, atmospheric plunge into primal terror.

Streets 12/13 Pre-order now @ https://www.shoutfactory.com/film/film-horror/shelley
    Check out the trailer @ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYbw27lPHac

LET’S BE EVIL - Step into a virtual reality nightmare. Desperately in need of money to care for a sick parent, Jenny (Elizabeth Morris) takes a job supervising children at a learning center for gifted students. But when she and two other new employees are ushered into a maximum-security underground bunker where eerily robotic children are outfitted with augmented reality glasses, Jenny finds herself thrust into a disturbing technological experiment in which she is an unwitting player in a terrifying virtual game. This future shock brain-bender is a creepy kids thriller for our tech-addicted culture.

Streets 12/13 Pre-order now @ https://www.shoutfactory.com/film/film-horror/let-s-be-evil
    Check out the trailer @ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nsbzf3bL4Qg

I AM NOT A SERIAL KILLER - Sixteen-year-old John Wayne Cleaver (Max Records, Where the Wild Things Are) is not a serial killer—but he has all the makings of one. Keeping his homicidal tendencies and morbid obsessions with death and murder in check is a constant struggle that only gets harder when a real serial killer begins terrorizing his sleepy Midwestern town. Now, in order to track down a psychopath and protect those around him, John must unleash his darkest inner demons. Based on the cult novel by Dan Wells, this twisted, genre-bending thriller co-stars Christopher Lloyd and Breaking Bad’s Laura Fraser.

Streets 12/13 Pre-order now @ https://www.shoutfactory.com/film/film-horror/i-am-not-a-serial-killer
    Check out the trailer @ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQBnWWWU-gU

Steel76 and Harry Warden like this.
  6. Harry Warden

The Devil's Dolls and I Am Not a Serial Killer sound really good.

Steel76 likes this.
  7. delicreep

delicreep Well-Known Member

Harry Warden likes this.
  8. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Carrie is now up on caps-a-holic.

LOL. Probably the best screenshot in the whole film: https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?d1=8862&d2=8861&s1=85182&s2=85176&i=11&l=0&a=0

Screenshot 14 is like night and fucking day. You can actually see definition in the fire. It's not overexposed anymore and you can actually make out Sissy Spacek's arm. Gotta hand it to them, they did well on this one.

~Matt

Zombie Dude likes this.
  9. Harry Warden

10. thing

thing Well-Known Member

In general I dont think its really better or much better. its certainly different, framed, color timed a little different. I was expecting a bigger improvement

11. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

It's definitely way better. Once you've seen it in motion there's no question. There's more image in the frame, the grain is more defined, it doesn't look chunky and blocky like the older transfer, and it doesn't look contrast boosted. Colors look better and it has more depth. It LOOKS like it was scanned from the negatives. In motion, it looks better than those screencaps. Trust me. There are close-ups that look amazing. Not many of those screencaps serve justice to how much better this film now looks.

I'm not sure what people were expecting. This movie is not going to look razor sharp and that wasn't the main goal of a 4K scan. Most of De Palma's films from that era have a hazy, diffused look to them and Carrie is no different. You can only do so much in terms of sharpness. The biggest problem on the older release was that it used a scan that was mastered for DVD and was already about a decade old when they released the blu-ray. To top it off, it was encoded in shitty MPEG-2 (a DVD codec) and had many compression issues. The benefit of this release is the better framing, color reproduction, adjusted contrast and much better rendered film grain.

~Matt

12. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

What? The previous releases looked like dogshit. This job by Shout! is miraculous.

Zombie Dude and Matt89 like this.
  13. thing

thing Well-Known Member

im not saying the previous release was good, im saying im not impressed with the new one, i do not find it miraculous whatsoever. Perhaps it will be better in motion.

14. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Is it possible to add a green tint to a transfer? It really looks like that's what they did in quite a few of those caps.

15. thing

thing Well-Known Member

yeah its very green, looks like the color scheme has been moved away from the redder to the green.. I prefer the redder look but have no idea which is more accurate

16. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Which is more accurate? An overexposed transfer with contrast issues from some random film print that they've been using since the 1990s that was plagued with issues or a newly remastered print from the original camera negative? I'm wiling to bet it's the new scan.

What I think with a lot of these transfers that have a "green push" is that we're so used to watching a print that probably never was properly color timed to begin with and is several generations removed from the original source. In contrast I think the older transfer looks too red in comparison. Also you're directly comparing screenshots on your computer screen. It looks much better in motion on a 1080p television. But even then the differences are extremely telling. Look at the screenshot of the close-up of Nancy Allen. The older transfer looks like absolute crap. Look how fine the grain looks in that shot on the new transfer. That's what film looks like.

I think it finally looks like the rest of Brian De Palma's films from that era. Very similar to the look of Obsession and Dressed to Kill.

~Matt

Zombie Dude likes this.
  17. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

18. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

19. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I picked up the Carrie/The Rage: Carrie 2 double feature a while back when HMV was having a sale. I've never seen the Angela Bettis version. When I finally get my hands on this new Carrie SE, I'm gonna have me a Carrie marathon. Looking forward to it. The question is, though...what order do I watch them in? Do I watch the remake directly after the original, to do a more direct comparison, or do I watch the sequel immediately after the original to highlight whatever tenuous connections it may have (pretty much just Amy Irving, from what I can remember)? Decisions, decisions....

20. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost