Upcoming Shout Factory releases

Discussion in 'General' started by Cujo108, Dec 19, 2009.

1. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

Agree with Matt89 on this. If you want to keep waiting on the magical day that better elements show up for some of these films, then go ahead. It will happen with the odd one. I am just happy that they can preserve what they can and move on with the release in response to the high probability that the original elements for most of these will never resurface.

The customer is not always right. They do not know of all the circumstances behind why a product or a service is not consistent in quality every time.

2. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Isn't it a bit of an issue when the DVD looks better in terms of clarity? Maybe those screen grabs are misleading but it looks a lot worse than the DVD in terms of detail. The other issue was that they weren't upfront (as far as I'm aware) about these issues till after the release which can seem a bit shifty. I can understand people being upset if they weren't aware of how cruddy it was going to look.

3. Zollman

Zollman New Member

They don't skip films, they seek out the elements and do the work which takes time.
    Shout (for the most part) take anything as is.

4. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Yes exactly another prime example of blu rays being nothing but a gimmic format. Unless the negatives are cleaned and run on a 4k scan then shout is a joke.

5. The Tall Man

The Tall Man Member

Yes and no. Shout/Scream do a great job with most of the movies with the interviews and commentary tracks, and considering that most of their library that people here would be interested in are 80's movies, and some 90's, then the 4k scan isn't gonna help much anyway. Blurays are not a gimmick format, I watched The Avengers on a 72" UHD TV the other day and it was truly amazing.

6. The Tall Man

The Tall Man Member

This is one of my favourite horror films of all time. I love the atmosphere and the setting. The extras on this bluray, although minimal, were fantastic. The interview with the FX guy was awesome. He was great to listen to and i wish it could have gone on longer.

The interview with ted Vernon was.... well, the guy comes across as a bit of a dick, but a likeable dick ? His comments after the credits rolled in the interview were fucking hilarious. If you didn't see it, then go back to it. Cracked me up big time. :banana::banana::banana:

7. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

8. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Too bad that Ghosthouse get such a mediocre transfer :(
    Let's hope that Arrow releases it with a fresher one in a near future.

9. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Does anybody know if Witchery is Uncut?

10. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Matt 89 used to be uncut now he is the cut version. :eek1:

11. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

:sleepy::sleepy::sleepy:

12. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

:p What a callback.

13. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

I'm just happy Ghosthouse has an official US disc release.

14. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

15. NIN

NIN Member

No, I don't think its obvious. I do think its obvious that, for example, Synapse will do eberything to find the best source and do the best transfer from it.

Boosted contrast is very likely in the film source? No, I don't believe that.

16. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

17. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

Admittedly that did peak my curiosity. Is it that the brighter source on some dvds cannot be used for a more demanding format like blu when it comes to clarity and whatnot? Just a guess. Not sure, really. I do not recall earlier versions of Slaughterhouse being so dark per se. Does the clarity of the blu make it worth it? Is the overall quality that much better? I just thought it was ok, personally.

And I totally agree that it has been a common practice to warn people about substandard picture quality when it comes to a lack of original elements. They should really manage people's expectations upon release. That would cushion any possible disappointment. Will most likely be getting Dog Soldiers regardless because I can be rather forgiving.

18. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Bear with me, I don't entirely know what I'm talking about here, but hopefully this will give you the gist of it. Or at least my understanding of it.

It doesn't have to do with the format itself, it's the source. I believe they've said Dog Soldiers was sourced from a theatrical 35mm print. From the look of it, I'd guess Slaughterhouse was as well. The Final Terror and the German blu-ray of Trick Or Treat are other examples.

I never watched the past DVD releases of Dog Soldiers, but the first DVD release was 2002. With the movie being brand new at the time, they probably had access to a much better source (most likely the camera negatives). But HD mastering circa 2002 isn't what it is now. The same HD transfer struck for the original 2002 DVD release was probably used for the first blu-ray release. But somewhere between 2002 and now, the original source material must have been lost. So if you think the DVD looks better than the blu-ray, it's not because of anything to do with the blu-ray format, it's simply because the DVD transfer came from a higher quality source.

In the case of Slaughterhouse, this was back in 1987 so they created telecine transfers, meaning they took the film or negative and made a transfer that was formatted for video / fullscreen televisions. So that was used for the VHS release, and I'm guessing the old fullscreen DVD used the same transfer. But again, sometime between now and then, the original source was lost, and a film print had to be used to source the new blu-ray transfer.

So in other words, what you're seeing on these blu-rays is a transfer of a transfer. Which is why they look inferior to a lot of other blu-rays, and why they look different from previous media formats taken from a direct source.

For example:

Slaughterhouse:
    VHS and DVD:
    OCN ---> telecine (VHS transfer)

Blu-ray:
    OCN ---> 35mm print ---> blu-ray transfer

Dog Soldiers:
    DVD and original blu-ray:
    OCN ---> 2002 transfer

Scream Factory blu-ray:
    OCN (16mm) ---> 35mm print (blown up from 16mm) ---> blu-ray transfer

19. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

Wow! Great breakdown Captain Hook. It is sad that some elements were lost between one format and the other. Clearly home video was well into being a thing during those periods yet they did not protect the original elements. Did not realize that and it sucks to think that people could just lose original elements. I would protect the hell out of them. I get that storage of film elements are more finicky but damn.

20. Buechlers_beard

Buechlers_beard Well-Known Member