Upcoming Shout Factory releases

Discussion in 'General' started by Cujo108, Dec 19, 2009.

1. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

2. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

There isn't a single blu-ray that anyone is happy with anymore. The nitpicking is out of control. This is a hobby that most collector's have resorted to griping about (not as much on this site). I'm not sure if they are too young to remember collecting VHS tapes or what. Laserdiscs used to cost a fortune. With the early days of DVD it was hard enough to get a film in Widescreen. I've gotten to the point where I'm just happy when catalog titles are released anywhere in the world on blu-ray at all.

3. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

For as much as Shout's BDs cost no one should give anyone grief for being disappointed with the new DOG SOLDIERS release. I was hoping this would be a definitive release. Now that it appears a definitive release is unlikly, I'll save the $20 and wait for its eventual release to Netflix streaming. It sounds like they did their best, but perhaps they should have cancelled/postponed the release until the negative was found. I find Shout's Blu-ray re-releases to be frustrating. I'd rather them focus on films languishing on VHS or poor DVDs.

FTR, it's rare that I find a BD that I'm not happy with. But that's because blu-ray.com does a good job of letting me know what to expect before I purchase. I don't mind buying a poor quality BD as long as I know before I purchase and its priced accordingly.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
  4. gobad2003

gobad2003 Active Member

Amen to that brother^^^ People are just spoiled these days and don't remember how bad we had it back in the day.:rolleyes:

5. Mikey Horror

Mikey Horror Active Member

The worst thing you can do is read the majority of opinions over at blu-ray.com. Those fuckers over there are flat out INSANE. It's a wonder why they are even involved in the hobby at all 'cause they're not happy with ANYTHING. Their absurd and deranged back and forth banter is entertaining reading, though. I will say that.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
  6. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

It did look brighter than the old DVDs, but that is what Marshall intended. Apparently during the first werewolf attack scene in the woods, either the lab or the producers timed the original release so it looked like a night scene when it was meant to still be daytime out. It definitely takes a little getting used to if you're intimately familiar with the old transfer. Then again, I had a friend complain that they thought the new transfer was much too dark and that was their problem with it. I don't agree with that at all as it is a brighter transfer than before.

7. Mikey Horror

Mikey Horror Active Member

That is one thing I can understand the complaints about. Since when do werewolves come out during the day?

8. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Honestly I don't know what people are complaining about most of the time. Occasionally you get an abysmal transfer that deserves all the shit it gets (SNDN, Cat People, Osterman Weekend), but I really don't understand the complaints about Escape From New York, for example. I think it comes down to the fact that it's so easy to compare transfers that people get nitpicky. Escape from NY actually looks really really nice in motion. And you wouldn't notice about 90% of the small things people complain about if you didn't compare them side by side. There are also often limitations with the source material. Someone on the bluray.com forums actually said Escape From NY was "unwatchable". UNWATCHABLE? Are you fucking kidding me? Talk about over exaggerating.

~Matt

9. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

Certainly blu-ray.com has it's fair share of loons, but many of you act like we should never discuss the problems with some of these discs. These forums exist for discussion. Go to Shout's Facebook page if you want to read nothing but sycophants lauding praise. I think most of the gripes about Shout's discs are that many of their problems are avoidable. You'd think if you were going to re-release a title that's been on the market less than two years and is still readily available, you'd create a superior presentation.

10. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

What I love are the people who "saw the original theatrical run" back in 1981 and remember that it wasn't this bright/dark/whatever." When I go to the movies, I watch the film. Do certain blockbuster films need updated transfers like Goodfellas just received? Yes. Batman Begins desperately needs a new transfer and Dark Knight could use an update as well. Then you have films like Moonrise Kingdom that receive a 2K restoration. What? The movie is three years old! I'm a Wes Anderson fan and I will buy the film again for the extras, but that really threw me. Cult films such as EFNY generally don't get the love that Shout! provided. MGM certainly couldn't be bothered. I understand that Shout's tools to restore films aren't on par with many of the other companies, but they do the best with what they have.

11. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

The interviews on Scarecrows were really interesting. I wish they had been able to track down more interviewees, because I wanted to know more.

I figured Scarecrows was an indie-film, but I never realized it was such a homegrown little no-budget production cobbled together by a bunch of random guys in south Florida. I guess that does explain all the dubbed in dialogue where the actors lips aren't even moving. But the effects are extremely impressive considering, and it's no surprise Norman Cabrera went on to work with Rick Baker (apparently this was a selling point on the back of the VHS, even though it was Cabrera's first movie and shot before he worked with Baker). It was shot in 1985 and dumped straight-to-video in 1988.

I would have loved a big 90-minute all encompassing documentary on the making-of ala From A Whisper To A Scream. I imagine it would be fascinating, as it felt like there were a lot of stories to tell (and we only heard from two of the people involved). But maybe that's just me, as I'm a sucker for the stories behind the little underdog homegrown American films that manage to find an audience (Last House, Friday The 13th, all the movies in Nightmare USA, etc).

12. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

You also have to consider that the reason why companies like Arrow or Synapse are so blemish free is the simple fact they skip over films with problematic elements. Shout Factory on the other hand is not as interested in a film's condition. So they'll pick these up and release what's available and move on to the next release.

It's a rather different philosophy. They're trying more with releases like Dog Soldiers but hell even Synapse had some pretty bad decisions on transfers (Vampire Circus comes to mind) early on. So it may be a learning curve for them in terms of redoing transfers. Also some film makers don't know what the hell they're doing for home video. Shout's been very trusting, like with Herzog, and it's bit them on the ass repeatedly because of it.

13. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

What's wrong with Vampire Circus?

14. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

It's been awhile since I watched it, but I recall the films biggest problems were unfinished special effects due to the fact that they ran out of money. I thought the transfer was as good as it'll ever get.

15. thing

thing Well-Known Member

16. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

The transfer has been critiqued as overly dark and too cool/blue. For most of the film it's not an issue but in some of the night shots action becomes difficult to see. It's worth noting that Don came out in support of Coppola's Dracula and Savini's Night of the Living Dead which both had transfers with similar issues but were much more pronounced. (The later having been denounced by the DP)

Red Scorpion also has some excessive DNR as I recall; blurring some of the action scenes. Don's apologized for that, saying he should have caught that in his QC.

There was another early release with some digital artifacts. I can't recall which off the top of my head.

I don't point this all out to slam Synapse, but to say that honest mistakes happen and not everyone's on the same page when describing what makes a "good transfer." The recent internet storm over the yellow or blue dress is a good example of that.

And in the example of Mr. May I would say that has a red color bias in his vision. The average person is either red bias or green bias in their vision. They either see more of a red or more of a green. Don's remarks have been in defense of transfers that seem overly blue, which could mean he sees excessive red which cancels out a slightly bluer hue. Peter Jackson also probably has this issue as he's defended the excessive green tint to Fellowship of the Rings. If you have green bias these slight tints are much more pronounced so that explains why it's an annoyance to some.

Also Don's describes his QC process as on his home projection system. Projection has a tendency to brighten and if poorly configured blow out an image. Especially when projected on white (should be more of a light grey). Not to critique his setup either then or now (and the natural presentation of film is arguably via projection) but projection systems require regular adjustments over the life of the system. This would explain why overly dark transfers are seen as less of an issue. Both color bias and projection vs. television go a long way to explain why when Don goes against the curve.

It's a minor complaint of an otherwise excellent transfer, and many are able to enjoy Vampire Circus without reservation.

17. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Ok, it's long been a favorite of mine so I guess I overlooked the imperfections.
    I grew up watching it frequently on local tv while adjusting the rabbit ears and trying to make out the action through the snowy picture all dubbed into French no less.
    You can probably understand now why I love my Blu-Ray despite the flaws.

18. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

19. NIN

NIN Member

Source that show that Arrow and Synapse skip films because the film element is not good?

And the problem with Dog Soldier, from what I can see, is not the source but the mastering. The contrast boost is most likly not in the film source.

20. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I think it's just obvious given the releases. Synapse will do titles like Prom Night and Intruder where the elements are at least workable (and when there's an actual negative available). Shout will release stuff like The Final Terror where they have to literally piece together different prints. It's great that they're getting the obscure stuff out there even if it means the quality isn't the best. It's what they have to work with.

And the director HIMSELF said that the negatives for Dog Soldiers cannot be found so that's what Shout had to work with. And boosted contrast is very likely inherent in the film source when you have a 2nd or 3rd generation film stock.

The director has come out and specifically addressed the issue. How is there even still an argument about it? He was not consulted on the last blu-ray and said that's not how he wanted his film to look.

~Matt