Upcoming Shout Factory releases

Discussion in 'General' started by Cujo108, Dec 19, 2009.

1. Zollman

Zollman New Member

The only time they actually couldn't was with Swamp Thing, and it was on Wes Craven- not MGM.

2. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

I remember renting ghoulies around spring 86 and liking it then, but I was 13, don't think it holds up today..

3. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

4. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

5. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

A lot of contracts stipulate whether something needs to be a R or PG-13 rating. Especially older contracts (pre-uncut DVDs). To change it would require a NEW contract, legal fees and re-evaluation of incentives to involved parties (more money). Kinda like the Batman TV show. Contracts were written up before home video, making video releases an impossibility without lengthy contract negotiations with ALL parties (Fox, Warner, DC, Dozier, West, Ward, etc., etc., etc.,). Which literally took DECADES.

Nobody wants to spend even two cents on such dealings, especially Charles Band (although I'm sure he'd gladly spend all of MGM's money).

Asking a studio like MGM to make it company policy to start flagrantly ignoring contracts (opening themselves up for lawsuits) for what amounts to a couple of bucks of DVDs sales is ludicrous. They're rather lose money pulling the discs (like with Swamp Thing) than face any legal repercussions.

The Craven angle is news to me but not unheard of with directors to help "protect" their actress (making it easier to cast in subsequent films). From what I recall Adrienne Barbeau's contract stipulated that the nudity was only for the international showings. But it's one of those things we'll probably never really know.

Just another example of the pitfalls in contracts. Most of the time companies don't even want to spend the money to pay a lawyer to go dust off the contract just to find out!

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  6. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

7. killit

killit Active Member

I'm just checking in to what scream has done this time? Is the ghoulies debacle the only thing affected. Is scarecrows gonna be cut

8. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

9. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Shout reeeeeally needs to step it up with their fucking transfers. I'd rather all their stuff just go to Arrow to be quite honest. They at least put a lot of work into image quality.

I think Shout puts too much stuff out too quickly and doesn't take the time to properly remaster films.

~Matt

10. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

It's probably just what MGM gave them. The screenshots look very similar to the German Blu-ray release which was licensed from MGM.

11. ArrowBeach

ArrowBeach Active Member

12. Buechlers_beard

Buechlers_beard Well-Known Member

The only win from SF in my book is the fact they offer 5.1 soundtracks more often than Arrow. If Arrow offered slightly better audio options, I'd choose them every time!

13. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Apparently they did the remastering job themselves.

~Matt

14. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    The first reviews of the Escape from NY transfer are horrible.

15. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Honestly what is it with Shout and their shitty compression? You'd think after all the shit they've received they'd at least make an effort to improve. But...nope.

I read a review of the new Mad Max disc and apparently it's the same transfer but OF COURSE a shittier encode. For fucks sake...

~Matt

16. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Escape from New York review: http://www.dvdverdict.com/reviews/escapefromnewyorkbluray.php

This sounds positive:

17. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

Sure does. The armchair critics and compression nazis at blu-ray.com are already hard at work tearing into Shout for the "travesty" that is their new BD of the film. Those people don't watch movies, they watch pixels. They sit around rubbing their chins with one hand and pausing their remotes in 5 second intervals with the other, muttering to themselves while they scour every frame for imperfections. They have checklists for everything and issue a final grade based on every reel change mark, hairline, white speck, crushed black, splice mark, and, oh, imperfect pixel they count, and based on that they issue a final grade. FAIL! They almost seem to WANT to trash the label. I've decided I've had enough of the whining and will just watch and enjoy the films - imperfections and all.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  18. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

19. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

20. ctyner

ctyner Member

For what it's worth, I've been critical of Scream Factory's encoding woes, and it has nothing to do with zooming in and squinting at individual pixels.

I mean, there are absolutely people guilty of what you're saying (some of the rants about single frame glitches in Synapse's Red Scorpion BD, for instance), but Scream Factory's encoding really is a mess. It's certainly not the sort of thing that's going to bug everyone, the same as the way a lot of people don't notice / aren't bothered by excessive noise reduction, but for some videophiles, it's hard to miss, even in motion and at a normal viewing distance. Believe me -- I wish I didn't notice this sort of thing because ignorance was definitely bliss.

The compression alone isn't the sort of thing that'd make me tell someone "no! don't buy this disc", and I would never take that alone to the extreme of calling it a travesty, but it does dim my enthusiasm and it's baffling that this is still a problem after so many years. (I'd reserve the harshest criticism for releases like They Live where the presentation is so wretched that it's genuinely unpleasant to watch.)

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015