Upcoming Shout Factory releases

Discussion in 'General' started by Cujo108, Dec 19, 2009.

1. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Link doesn't work. At least, it didn't for me. And I'm looking at this from my phone.

~Matt

2. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

3. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

4. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Really cool that both discs on Escape From New York are blu-rays. Im definitely gonna pick up all 3.

~Matt

5. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

So that's what Bill has been doing in LA - moderating dry commentaries. Nice.

I'm more than happy to add New Year's Evil to my Blu-ray collection, even though it's not one of my favorite slashers. There's something very grimy about this flick, it's fun :)

6. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I agree. I also would have been happy with just the new commentary and 2K scan. The second disc is an added bonus. Shout does it again!

7. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

so hows the transfer on new years evil, that review doesn't tell me much??

8. FulciLuvver

FulciLuvver Member

the transfer is pretty solid, no complaints there. the featurette/doc is also quite good if kinda short.

but that commentary is one of the worst i've ever sat through. the moderator is beyond terrible and makes a lot of inappropriate comments and the director is clearly annoyed by him at several times and by the end just says "whatever" to a lot of the moderator's comments.

seriously this is one of the bottom five ive listened to and any review that doesnt call this out clearly didnt bother to listen to it. im like stunned that screamfactory included this on the disc.

9. Mikey Horror

Mikey Horror Active Member

After that description I can't wait to hear it!

10. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

Not really interested in the movie but now I may just get it for the commentary alone!

11. shithead

shithead Death By Ejaculation

Isn't the moderator Bill from Code Red? :lol:

12. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

what cracks me up is that they are doing these commentaries with these directors who made these movies some 40 yrs ago,, no wonder they cant remember much...

13. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

It's gotta be Bill Olsen. He did the same thing on BRUTE CORPS and JACKSON COUNTY JAIL. I felt sorry for those guys. They were all friendly and had allot of interesting things to say but Bill repeatedly insulted them and their films. You could here the anger and tension grow their voices until it sounded like they were about to deck Bill. Not sure why Bill gets asked to moderate commentaries (JACKSON COUNTY JAIL is a Shout Factory release). It's the worst thing I've ever heard.

Listening to those commentaries made me wonder why Bill is in the the business of selling genre films. He speaks to those filmmakers as if they had made PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE. I get the sense that he doesn't like the films he works on at all.

Hearing what Bill did on BC and JCJ I can only imagine what was said on NEW YEARS EVIL. BC and JCJ aren't high art, but i find them to be far more entertaining and well made than NEW YEARS EVIL.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  14. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Lol Brute Force is actually an incredibly well-made film, and a very well-respected one at that. I think it's one of the best Hollywood films of the '40s. But anyway yeah Bill is kind of a piece of crap. I remember him making a very homophobic comment on one commentary (I can't remember what film it was from). It actually really pissed me off and I was shocked they left it in.

~Matt

15. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

That's got to be a typo - Brute Force is from Criterion...I don't think Bill's been moderating any Criterion commentaries lately.

I remember having a similar reaction when listening to him moderate commentaries with Fred Williamson on two Code Red releases...by the end, Williamson was obviously very annoyed. He just has a talent for asking the most inane questions, actually getting in the way of people offering interesting info.

16. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

Bill comes across as a star-crossed, obsessed movie nut when he does these commentaries. I imagine Quentin Tarantino during his video store clerk days who just landed a gig interviewing one of his favorite has-been actors: prying them for tidbits to satisfy his own curiosity. Of course, that doesn't serve the purpose of these things, which is to inform the viewer. What Bill actually does is rankle his subjects and stifle the conversation. I think all commentaries should be moderated, only by people who are well prepared and take it seriously.

17. rift

rift New Member

moderators are never a good idea for commentaries. Either people have something to talk about or they don't. If they don't, either don't have them do a commentary or add other people from the film and cut between them.

18. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

I agree that commentaries need qualified moderators. The commentary track for IN THE MOUTH OF MADNESS (John Carpenter and Cinematographer Gary B. Kibbe) is so bad its almost surreal. For the first 20 minutes nothing is talked about other than how the shots are lit. It was being led by Carpenter and I got the impression he was trying desperately not to talk about the film himself. I got frustrated and skipped forward a few chapters and was shocked hear that they were still talking about the lighting. "How many watts did you use here Gary?". So I skipped forward to near the end and they were still talking about the lighting!!! A week later I'm visiting with my brother (IN THE MOUTH OF MADNESS is one of his favorites) and he tells me I have to listen to that commentary track . I tell I already have and we laugh about it for over ten minutes. Now we often will ask each-other how many watts we'd use for the room we are in.

Sorry Matt, I meant Brute Corps.

19. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

Looks like the Instagram list was incomplete.

https://www.facebook.com/ScreamFact...3961936407493/576689805801368/?type=1&theater

20. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost