Until Dawn - PS4 Horror Game (2015)

Discussion in 'General' started by Steel76, Dec 7, 2014.

1. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I'm going to probably get it for Halloween. I'll see what the price is then.

2. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I didn't play the Walking Dead game, so I can't compare them. This game relies heavily on the decisions you make to determine where the story goes. It's point and click to determine how you want the eight characters interact with each other. You really have no idea (even when you think you do) who's going to die. When faced with the killer, I like the option to attack, hide or run. How many horror films have you seen where you know what the best option is for the potential victim? Now you control it. A great touch in one of my encounters is after getting away from the killer, I had to keep the controller completely still or the flashlight would move and I would give my position away. The game plays like Resident Evil, but it isn't a shooter. There are so many homages to great horror films, you owe it to yourself as a horror fan to at least rent it. I have had more fun with this than Arkham Knight, and that is shocking for me to say. There are some awesome scares in it as well.

Steel76 likes this.
  3. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

It has been getting pretty solid reviews overall. I have the game but just haven't had time to play it yet. I'll be shocked if I do not have a lot of fun with it. Also the Walking Dead and Game of Thrones episodic games by TellTale are very different - they are great - but different since your choices never change he overall story or outcome- they just change how you get there. Also visuals are totally different as well obviously. Once I get a chance to play Until Dawn though Ill give my thoughts

4. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I couldn't place him at first, and I figured out why. His voice. I remember him mainly from Fargo where he barely spoke. Then of course there's The Big Lebowski, but there he is spoke with an accent.

Steel76 likes this.
  5. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

This game is just getting better and better :)
    There are a lot more to the story, than I expected, with a lot of unexpected turns.

It really starts to remind me a lot of the earlier Resident Evil games, when it comes to the gameplay, the further in you get :)

Edit: I removed the spoiler, as I know it can be hard to resist reading them ;)

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  6. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Ahhhh! I shouldn't have read that spoiler! :eek:

7. Steel76

Maybe I shouldn't have added that spoiler, as I also can have a hard time resisting them :D
    Don't worry, there are LOTS of other twists and turns to discover :)

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
    buck135 likes this.
  8. Steel76

It's not, there is actual gameplay, where you control the characters and their actions.
    Just think Resident Evil, but as a slasher instead.
    But unlike THAT game, you can actually make choices, that changes the outcome, delivering great re-play value to the game.

I will definitely give it another go, when I have finished it :)

9. Steel76

Well, I finished the game last night, and the ending was insanely intense and awesome!
    The second half really is a lot more actionpacked, compared to the more slow burned first.
    After you finish the game, you can replay any of the 10 chapters, to see what you can do different.
    So you don't have to replay it from the start, if you don't want to.

There is a LOT more to the story than I expected.
    And that climax, holy shit!! :D

buck135 likes this.
  10. Mikey Horror

Mikey Horror Active Member

I'll wait about six months and pick it up for around $15. No way this is a $60 game. With Metal Gear 5, Mad Max, Fallout 4 and Just Cause 3 all coming out between now and the end of the year, I'll have enough to play.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  11. Steel76

12. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I'm surprised that Japan censored this game. Honestly having finished it last night, it isn't all that disturbing in my opinion. I'm looking forward to playing it again, this time I'll try to keep more of the characters alive.

13. othervoice1

"Japan makes some of the most extremely violent and gory movies and animation in the world, so why are games so different??"

Yea I was thinking the same thing - makes no sense

14. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I am replaying this with the PS Camera hooked up. My wife's reactions to the scares are priceless. I'm leaving all of the decisions to her. I still use the controller because the split second QTE's are not easy for someone who doesn't have the button configuration down pat. The game almost justifies the cost of the Camera...almost.

15. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

In Japan video gaming is part of their culture which is embraced.

My ass hurts watched a friend of mine play this for 7 hours great game highly recommend.

16. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I devoured this game over the past two days and loved every minute of it. I'm not much of a gamer, but it was very user friendly, walking you through it the whole way. I don't think there's really a way to lose, once a decision is made you're stuck with it (the game automatically saves after every decision, so no backpedaling). It's basically an interactive slasher film, although there's an excellent twist a little over halfway through that takes it into another direction. You control a lot of the character interactions, and it places you right in the chase scenes, where you have to quickly follow the commands to survive.

It plays out differently depending on your actions, so this isn't necessarily a spoiler, but for my storyline:
    Sam, Mike, Ashley, and Emily survived. Jessica, Chris, and Matt were killed (in that order), and Josh was dragged away and revealed to have become a Wendigo in the post-credits scene.

Excellent game, if you're a genre fan I can't recommend it enough. The Larry Fessenden cameo was good fun too (you'll notice a lot of Glass Eye Pix posters in the lodge's theater).

othervoice1 and Steel76 like this.
  17. othervoice1

This is one of the very few games I have ever played through more than once (helps it is really not a very long game). The best job of capturing an actual horror movie in video game form ever.

18. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

The only issue I had with the game is I kept every character alive until the very end. As you well know, there are instances where you need to keep your controller still. I swear I didn't flinch yet I was robbed. I almost broke my controller in half.

19. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I just finished playing Until Dawn for a second time. I must have made a lot of the same choices, because reading my post above (the spoiler of who lived and died), I ended up with the completely identical outcome.

Still thoroughly enjoyed it though. Probably the best horror game I've ever played, up there with Nocturne.

hots4, Steel76 and othervoice1 like this.