Unpopular opinions!

Discussion in 'General' started by _pi_, Nov 6, 2007.

1. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Well part of the problem is that the original's storyline is a victim of its own success. It's set up so that you think Cheryl will be the last girl standing, and it's rather dedicated to that plot thread until almost half way through. And then it throws that all out the window. It toyed with the audience's expectations and broke all the rules. After that moment, to the audience, anything could happen and that adds to the horror. Today though, everyone and their dog knows Bruce is the hero before they ever see it. This spoils a lot of its potential for new viewers.

I think this helps explain why it was such a success early on, and why some who look on it later are only left to scratch their heads.

Now to make up for defending a popular opinion, I'll attack Terminator and T2. Then praise T3. :D

I watched Terminator again just about a year ago and found it to be slow, tedious and overall pretty bad. The whole love story is so forced and the dialog is really awful. T2 reminds me everything that was wrong with the 90's and is not a film I'd like to revist.

T3 on the other hand I kinda liked. The characters react more realistically with each other, even if the dialog is still pretty bad. The fun stuff in it kinda makes fun of the first two entries to boot. It also has a much more ballsy ending than the previous entries. If people woke up to how bad the first two movies really were, I think they'd open up a bit more to T3.

2. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I agree with most of that, although not the part about Cheryl. Scott was the one that I assumed would survive upon initial viewing.

3. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I've never thought of Evil Dead as anything other then a top 10 Classic. So I have no idea what some of you are talking about. The cheesy play doe effect at the end was experimentation gone wrong but it's such a small part of the film.

4. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

I'll actually stand by you on this one. I still like the motorcycle/truck/motorcycle chase in T2 and Robert Patrick had a pretty impressively menacing presence (he even runs creepy) but the middle section is so heavy and preachy that this has really not held up as a whole for me.

And, T3 was definitely not the disaster I was lead to believe it was. It is certainly a lot more fun than 2 was.

But, I'll go even farther with the Cameron heresy and say that the director's cut of "The Abyss" is his best film.

5. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

It's ok to disagree. However, speaking both as a Dj and a musician/composer, I believe it is different to create, than to play with something others have already created.

6. The Chaostar

And it's still a zillion times better than fucking CGI. Saw it back in 1987. That scene (too) scared the crap out of me.

7. Anaestheus

And, rather that feed off of others, here are some of mine:

Tim Burton should give up directing and just design sets. He is no good at the former and really only excels at the latter.

There has yet to be a Sci-Fi film that surpasses 2001. Tarkovsky got really close. But in America the only thing that has even approached the scope is the last episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation.

The Beatles are the most over-rated band in history and actually did more damage to popular music than any other artist. (But, I think I already said that in either this thread or the other one)

"Hudson Hawk" was a brilliant film and one of the best action films of the 90s

George Lazenby was the best Bond - yeah, I suppose that is a popular unpopular opinion, but I still stand by it.

The vast majority of 'horror/comedies" are not horror films. They are comedies. They have more in common with The Three Stooges than they do any other straight horror film. Not saying they are bad, but "DeadAlive" (while an excellent film) has fewer horror elements than most crime films.

Zombies are extremely over-done and have become the "slashers" on the 00s

Ridley Scott is a dick. (I've also said this elsewhere and often)

John Williams is a terrible composer. He's the Britney Spears of cinematic scores.

Barry Manilow's songs from the 70s are greatly under appreciated these days.

Larry Fessenden is one of the most interesting directors working in horror in the past decade.

Shinya Tsukamato is the best director coming out of Japan in the past 2 decades.

Back to the Future 2 and 3 are really quite stupid movies.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  8. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I won't comment on his quality, but I will say that his "signature" themes to films like Indiana Jones, Star Wars, and Superman, all sound really, really similar to me.

9. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

God, that is one crotch flash I DON'T want to see...

10. The Chaostar

'nuff said. :eek2::p

11. Damage

Damage Mirror Mirror

I totally agree with this. I never was a fan and I never understood what was so "great" about them. What would music be like today if The Beatles never existed?

12. aoiookami

aoiookami Demon Fetishist

George Romero and Sam Raimi are the two most over-rated directors in horror and don't have 1 remotely scary film between the 2 of them.

13. The Chaostar

14. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Actually, "See My Friends" by the Kinks was highly influential in the rise of "sitar" music in 60s rock music (even though there's no actual sitar in the song). The single was released a full year before Revolver.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2Al7u0cKRk

The Kinks with their early hits "You Really Got Me", "All Day and All of the Night", and "Till The End of the Day" were also more essential than The Beatles in the eventual rise of Punk Rock. Also, Iggy Pop is considered the Godfather of Punk and he was inspired to perform after seeing Jim Morrison play. And you can't forget The Troggs either. There were a TON of garage/proto punk bands in the 60s years before The Beatles did "Helter Skelter".

Regarding Heavy Metal, "Helter Skelter" was preceded by Iron Butterfly's "In A Gadda Da Vida" by several months, as well as Steppenwolf's "Born to Be Wild" (which invented the term with the lyric "Heavy Metal Thunder").

Don't mean to demean the importance of The Beatles in Rock and Roll History, but they didn't work in a vacuum. They were influenced by friends and fellow contemporary musicians as much as they influenced others.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
  15. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I fucking hate The Beatles too. They're influence on Heavy Metal usually comes from the fact that Black Sabbath members were fans. So what? They were fans of many early Rock bands.

Every band in history has been influenced by another band or composer(s), but that doesn't necessarily mean they're music sounds like such.

16. Anaestheus

Psychedelic: A lot of critics credit Bob Dylan as starting psychedelic back in 65

Punk: sorry, that's the antithesis of the Beatles and has more in common with Robert Johnson.

Industrial: That can be traced back to Raymond Scott, Karlheinz Stockhausen, Gyorgy Ligeti, and the Beach Boys more easily than it can the Beatles.

17. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Man, where were all you Beatles haters when I was being over-run by Beatles supporters when I first brought up the over-rated-ness of the Beatles? Good to see you all now, though.

18. Shlockjock81

Shlockjock81 New Member

I like a few of the Beatles' songs but I just don't see how they're considered the best band ever. I can think of 100 other bands that probably deserve that title more than they do.

19. Anaestheus

Yeah, they sound like Holst's Planets Suite - which Williams openly admits to borrowing from.

20. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I think "best" band ever is pretty subjective. I think you could make a strong argument for most influential band ever, though, if you consider their impact on other musicians, the music industry, and music listeners.