Universal announces Jaws blu-ray specs!

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Matt89, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=7943

Fuck yes, Universal. You actually got it right! LOOK AT THAT ARTWORK. FUCK YEHHHH! Let's just hope the transfer lives up to this.

My most anticipated blu-ray ever. Cannot wait till August 14.

~Matt

2. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

This is awesome news

3. Mikey Horror

Mikey Horror Active Member

HOLYYYYY SHIT! I honestly thought Universal was going to shit the bed on this one but they actually nailed it! They even put The Shark is Still Working on there! Not to mention I don't even have to worry about what region code it'll be! Thank you Universal for not fucking this up. Thank you.

4. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

In my opinion it seems with this & a few others (Halloween II for example) that Universal's finally getting what the fans want & giving it to us in spades.

5. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

absolutely. if it ain't broke, don't fix it. glad to see they've figured that out.

6. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

that restoraration video was fascinating, looks like a lot of work has gone into this, small cosmetic changes, nothing to the lucas level, will be interested in seeing how this looks.

7. Shlockjock81

Shlockjock81 New Member

I'm all over this. ALL OVER IT.

8. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

cool cant wait i am sure all the retail stores like walmart etc will have it on release date

9. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I pray they're not screwing up the sound mix again. It's clear that they went back to the original stems. But the quote about finding additional effects to help with pans through the sound channels suggests that we might be looking at a lot of new Foley work again. That obviously led to the nightmarish 5.1 changes that plagued the DVD editions.

I have no doubt the video transfer is going to be spectacular. But I really hope the surround mix is simply an expansion of the original stems.

10. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Universal needs to pump a cash-cow desperately. Of course they are not dropping the ball on this. All they're newer movies are shit and won't be called classics 50 years from now. Anyway I look forward to this also can't wait day one purchase!

11. soxfan666

soxfan666 Well-Known Member

Cant wait for this. Easily my favorite movie of all time and a disc that will get multiple views per year.

12. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

13. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Also one of my favourite movies of all time, can't wait for this! Hope North America gets a cool digibook or steelbook as well, if not though that slipcover is still looks good. Glad to see them including all the extras from previous DVD releases as well (Though possibly missing some trailers) and the apparently excellent doc. "The Shark is Still Working". As long as they nail the video and audio (Which looks promising with Spielberg watching over their shoulders) this should easily be the release of the year, yes even with the Indiana Jones and Universal Monster movies still to come.

14. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I'm a little apprehensive about these upcoming transfers as Buck Privates is turning out to be over processed. Considering how Jurassic Park ended up there's not much guarantee that they'll even do Spielberg's babies right.

I'm mostly worried about the Classic Monsters and Hitchcock though. If any of these releases are fucked up there's little chance they'll revisit them any time soon.

15. Mikey Horror

Mikey Horror Active Member

I'm definitely going for the UK steelbook seeing as how Universal releases are region free. It doesn't come out till September 3, but I've waited this long, I can wait a few extra weeks.

16. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

whats the story on buck privates and jurassic park?

17. jscott

jscott Guided By Voices

Never understood the hubub about Jaws on DVD, but I didn't see the film until 2000/01, when I got a used copy of the Signature Collection Laserdisc set. After watching the video, I may get the blu, but its not a priority.

18. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Sorry, I meant to link a review for Buck Privates at least. Here's what Robert Harris, who did the restorations on Vertigo and Spartacus in the 90's, had to say:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/319894/a-few-words-about-buck-privates-in-blu-ray

So it looks like they did pretty good job restoring the film and then cranked up the DNR. A typical studio fear of old black and white films. At the very least this looks to be what will happen for Abbott and Costello Meets Frankenstein announced for this year too.

Jurassic Park was the same masters originally done for the DVDs so they had Edge Enhancement and lacked finer details. Much like Back to the Future's Blu-ray. It's just laziness on their parts and so I have doubts that they'd pull a 180 this year. Considering the just released DVD boxset re-release of Dracula/Frankenstein/Bride/Creature from last month was the same old transfers all over again (when they already confirmed new transfers are done for Dracula) that's not a confidence builder either.

My only hope is that it's a clue that the rumored 3D release of Creature may infact be on the horizon since they've never paired Creature with these other three together on DVD before; Wolfman is the more obvious choice. It may be a good sign that they're testing the waters on Creature.

19. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

20. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

yeah, those screen captures look pretty sharp at first glance, but there's no grain evident at all! as far as some of the Beaver reviews go, I'm spending less and less time reading what is written, and just focusing on the screen captures. sometimes his writing is well put together, and other times its riddled with grammatical errors and really immature writing style. It honestly feels like they're being written by two different people, although the name at the top is the same...

also disappointed that universal isn't ponying up for any new supplements for these. i don't care too much about those "100 years..." featurettes. even a half-hour retrospective on the film itself would be a nice addition. the digibooks with all their artwork and text are nice, but not worth the crazy prices being charged ($30+ as far as i've seen - its whats kept me from picking up All Quiet on the Western Front).

its disappointing to hear about the Jurassic Park discs as well. I'd kind of been planning on picking the set up when I found one for a decent price. Now, maybe not...

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012