UK blu-rays that are worth importing...

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Matt89, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

So I'm region-free again and was wondering if people could recommend some UK releases that are better than their North American counterparts. I'm particularly interested in horror and classical Hollywood/"new" Hollywood. I currently have the Arrow edition of Dressed to Kill and the Masters of Cinema edition of Touch of Evil in my shopping cart and I think I wanna throw another one in there. Double Indemnity, possibly? The Masters of Cinema release of The Tarnished Angels looks tempting too...

Just throw some titles at me, guys.

~Matt

2. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

The titles I've gotten from the UK generally don't have North American counterparts at all. I cannot speak highly enough of BFI Flipside. They are totally top notch. Check out Deep End if you have the chance or Jan Svenkmajer's Alice. Alice does have an old R1 release but this new edition smokes it. I also have Arrow's Forbidden Zone. All three of these films are worth owning, but none of them fit the horror/Hollywood description. Sorry about that.

Can't go wrong with Deep End though. Get it.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  3. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Hitchcock's Lifeboat and The Lodger, although BFI just remastered The Lodger, so an improved blu-ray may be released next year. Arrow's Dawn and Day of the Dead Blu's are good for their extras. Hammer's Dracula and Dracula Prince of Darkness are good too, though I believe DPOD is scheduled for a U.S. release later this year.

4. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

the non Region A or Region ALL discs I've bought since going region free are:

The Reptile
    Dracula
    The Curse of Frankenstein
    Don't Look Now
    Zombie Flesh Eaters

not a huge amount, but I've been happy with each of them.

the next ones I pick up will probably be Possession and The Blood on Satan's Claw

5. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I would have pounced on most of the above, but I'm confined strictly to All Region discs. If I had the capability I would also pounce on BFI Flipsides release of The Innocents.