Tusk

Discussion in 'General' started by CPT HOOK, Sep 26, 2014.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Did anyone here get a chance to catch this on the big screen this week?

I just got back from seeing it. I actually drove 2 hours to the nearest theater. I'm honestly not sure if I liked it or not. It was definitely... out there. Had a bit of a Human Centipede vibe. Whether I liked it or not, I'm glad I went out and supported it, because it's always a treat to see something so bizarre and off-the-beaten-path on the big screen.

I think my major gripe was a certain celebrity cameo near the end of the movie... it's not really a cameo I guess, it's a main role, but the character doesn't turn up until the final half-hour. For the most part, the movie is played with a straight-face, but this character was just so over-the-top it became an eye-rolling comedy. The premise of the movie is absolutely ridiculous so you can't help but laugh, but the movie itself worked better when it was keeping a straight-face. Whenever this character was on screen, my interest started to drift.

I'd be curious to hear what others thought of the movie.

2. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

Haven't seen it yet but I loved the trailer. Made me so excited to check it out. Of course I'm not even sure if it played near here.

3. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

full review at the av club: C-

:hum:

4. Zillamon51

Zillamon51 Member

5. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

What ever you do, don't search for movie Tuck.

You'll get a whole other different transforming movie.

6. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Man, I fucking hated this movie. This is what happens when you give a stoner access to a camera.

I'm a Kevin Smith fan, too, although I get far less excited about his product nowadays. One he started smoking marijuana, he became insanely boring. Tusk is a perfect example of this. I pretty much got the entire gist of the creation of this film (as Workshed outlined above) in the closing credits, where Smith and Mosier's Smodcast "treatment" of the film is played out. Smith is beside himself laughing at the concept, to the point where he's just not talking anymore. In other words, it's like listening to a stoner ramble on. Surprise surprise, watching the movie gives you the exact same feeling.

It never knows if it's a horror film or a comedy. The basic concept is so absurd, it should be played for laughs, but they keep trying to make it serious. Man, if I want that, I'll just watch The Room. And what's with the Canadian jokes? It was funny the first 2-3 times (and that's being generous), but once "Guy Lapointe" comes on screen, it's just endlessly unfunny jokes about Canada and Canadian stereotypes. Hell, even South Park knew when to call it quits with the Canada jokes.

And I'm surprised to see that Harely Quinn Smith is actually cute as a teenager. She was pretty ugly as a little kid (she looked like her dad), and kept getting goofier looking each time Smith put her in one of his movies. Guess she passed that awkward phase finally.

7. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Scratch what I said about Harley Quinn Smith. It was the other girl, Johnny Depp's daughter, that was the cute one in that scene. But they're both 15, so I can't even talk about them anyway.

8. Cydeous

Cydeous Axxon N

I saw this at the Toronto film festival and I really enjoyed it. The horror aspects were pretty silly but it was meant to be a dark comedy. I had a different reaction to the character that CPT HOOK mentioned. To me, it was the best part of the movie.

9. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Just came back from it, and maybe it's the fact that so many people have dumped on it before so my expectations were low, but I thought it was pretty good. I didn't find the Kevin Smith straight comedy all that funny, and this is coming from a guy wearing a J&SBSB t-shirt right now, but the comedic horror elements were hysterical to me. I think that's why I enjoyed it as much, there's not a lot of good dark comedy like that out there.

I'm going to have to agree though with the bulk of what's been said about "Guy Lapointe," that's when the movie jumped the shark for me. It's the same bad makeup, bad hair piece and unbuyable performance that plagues the worst comedies out there. However when Michael Parks plays off him in their one and only scene together, that was pretty damn good. Lapointe was worth it for that alone, although it was all Parks working it then and not "Lampointe" himself that made it work.

However he's a small part of the finale and not truly a part of it either, so I was able to look past that and over enjoy it. I'll probably pick up the Blu-ray as it's a fucked up film I'm sure I'll want to watch again.

10. lnalindrfa

lnalindrfa New Member

it was a busy schdule last weekend, hopefully if i get some time i will try this weekend

11. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I finally took the chance on Tusk last night and was surprised at how much I enjoyed it, and a whole helluva lot more than I was expecting to. Sure, it definitely has its misfires with some of the comedy and over abundance of the Canadian stereotypes, especially when Depp shows up (who provides a terrible and not-always-there Quebecois accent), but considering this was a podcast joke-turned-feature this was far better than it had any right to be. Michael Parks is exceptional as always, and the scenes with him providing the storytelling show Smith's gift for writing when he actually puts his talent to something other than dick-and-fart jokes (Clerks excluded) and he can even do serious horror when required (also loved Red State). Sure, it's uneven, but there's surprisingly good and interesting movie in Tusk. I haven't heard much good about the follow-up Yoga Hosers, but will probably give that a viewing out of morbid curiousity. And if Moose Jaws get's going I'm definitely in for that, especially since I live less than 2 hours away from where that one is to take place (and potentially shoot).

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  12. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

I decided some time ago that I will only watch this if I can watch it and Horns on streaming, back to back.

No other way.

13. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Seems kinda strange to me. Both films are vastly different in tone.

Tusk is fucking awesome, though.

14. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Yeah, they don't have anything in common other than each being named after a protruding piece of bone... And to be honest, Horns sucked a whole lot.

15. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Agreed. Horns was very forgettable....... Tusk on the other hand? That image of Justin Long after "transformation" is branded on my brain for all of eternity LOL

MorallySound and hots4 like this.
  16. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

Horns was much better than Tusk and this coming from a Tusk fan.

I just don't see how Horns "sucks a whole lot" It's FAR from perfect but it certainly doesn't suck.

And it doesn't have a moment as WTF terrible as the flashback scene with Parks and Depp. I love Tusk but fuck that scene is painful.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  17. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Well, the tusk is technically a horn in an elephant's mouth, right? (And / or a walrus's?) And it's the same shape as a horn. (At least a bugle horn.)

Also, I've never seen either film. And both directors are horror-fan directors. (Which is how I regard Alexandre Aja rather than any kind of legit artist.)

MisterTwister likes this.
  18. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

Makes sense to me.