Trespassers - IFC Midnight

Discussion in 'General' started by CPT HOOK, Jul 11, 2019.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

The new home-invasion horror Trespassers will be released on VOD tomorrow from IFC Midnight (expect a Scream Factory blu-ray probably later this year). Stars Fairuza Balk, Janel Parish (Pretty Little Liars), and Angela Trimbur (The Final Girls, Halloween II, Trash Fire).

I've seen a few reviews on various horror sites, and so far they've all been positive.

baggio likes this.
  2. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I had a lot of fun with Trespassers.

It looks like a fairly straight-forward home invasion horror, and for stretches of the movie it is (especially the final third). Getting there, however, the movie takes some surprising twists and turns I didn't expect. Not twists as in a new or creative spin on the home-invasion genre, but twists that break the standard blueprint for movies like these. There were times I was wondering if this was even a home invasion movie? It kept me on my toes and held my attention.

It's basically a single location with a small cast, but they did a great job of making the movie look bigger than it is. It's very colorful and the cast is quite good. It reminded me a lot of the recent indie Head Count, a movie that looks much bigger than its means (although that one didn't do nearly as good of a job at keeping my attention). There are some cliched character choices (the husband is sleeping with the best friend, etc), but the movie holds tension well enough to where the flaws were easy to overlook.

I can't say it brings anything new to the table, but if you like this sub-genre it's a lot of fun. I would recommend if you're in the mood for a quick little thriller.

Natas likes this.
  3. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Haven't seen Balk in a while and I like Parish, might give it a go.