Tombs of the Blind Dead coming from Synapse!

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Kim Bruun, Jul 28, 2019.

1. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

View attachment 9632

From the Dawn of the Discs FB page:

buck135, chancetx, russweiss and 5 others like this.
  2. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

That's cool! Why separate releases now?

3. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

My understanding is that the films are spread between two or three separate rightsholders.

4. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

So I should be buying the Night of the Seagulls Shout release if I want them all? Wtf.

5. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Nice! It was rumored to be with Synapse when there were hints at an upcoming Spanish feature but when they (reluctantly) announced Let Sleeping Corpses Lie that squashed it. Glad to hear the rumors proved to be true because this is an absolute favorite of mine (LSCL much less so).

From my understanding the Blind Dead films are split between three separate companies and one of them filed for bankruptcy not too long ago. So I guess that makes Ancla Century Films the bankrupt owners of the middle two according to IMDB. Maybe Synapse or Shout will pick them up when the dust settles but it seems unlikely we'll be seeing all four together in a box set.

I kinda collect coffin releases so the Blind Dead films are one DVD box set I won't sell. I'm selling a bunch of others but those stay with me.

6. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Looking forward to this.
    But, I hope it won't be yet another expensive steelbook...

rxfiend likes this.
  7. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

I actually don't mind if it is. I love the Blind Dead movies (though Ghost Galleon is clunky as all get-out) and its a film that could 100% use some serious restoration/attention. I don't mind paying more here.

I'm more disappointed a box set isn't coming. I still have my Coffin set, so I suppose I'll hold on to that.

8. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I've still not seen any of these films though they've been on my radar. Which ones are recommended?

9. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

I think I might be the only guy whose not a fan of these movies. I've got the coffin box and I've seen 3 of them (all but the third one I think) and while the templars look awesome, I find the movies to be kind of dull. The first one is okay, but I don't think I'd watch it again. I don't remember the 4th one, but I know I really didn't care for the second one. I watched it last year and I made a note in my film tracking list that says "These are the dumbest characters I've ever seen in a movie". I yelled at my TV a lot during that movie. I even put an extra paragraph in my backup list on my computer with several of the dumber moments.

Still, glad for the people who like them that they're getting a Blu-ray of this one.

buck135 and Zombie Dude like this.
  10. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

The first one is the best. They're all good in their own way imo.

11. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

Pretty much everyone would cite the first or second as the best. I haven't seen either of them for a while, but I think I lean toward the second. Like Buck, I think all of them are worth seeing. None of them are as action-packed as pure-exploitation flicks like Burial Ground--but if you dig slower, atmospheric Euro horror I think you'll appreciate them. The last two definitely struggle to overcome a sense of deja vu, but there were enough wrinkles to keep me interested.

12. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

I really like all 4. Remarkable in their atmosphere with some great Templar violence. For a slower film series, they are more eventful than most.

13. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

They all feature zombies with cheap masks that ride around making moaning noises that sounds more like kids trying to scare other kids at Halloween. "Aaaaaaah Ima gonna gitchu!" :)

Zombie Dude and Mutilated Prey like this.
  14. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Well that definitely doesn't sell me lol. I might just watch some YouTube reviews for these. Not sure I'll enjoy sitting through any of these in their entirety.

15. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

It's been awhile since I've watched these (I keep thinking a new Blu-ray is around the corner so instead I save an undetermined future night for them) but you're underselling them. Most of the close-ups use skeletons not some guy in a rubber mask for example. And as a post-NOTLD film (and pre-Dawn) the term "zombie" doesn't describe 'em. They're more like vengeful ghost as in The Fog or even Pirates of the Caribbean. And they're no small influence on Army of Darkness.

These are old school Gothic horrors like Black Sunday or a segment from Black Sabbath. Chasing women around decrepit castles under blue cast nights in phastasmic slow motion. And these have a Spanish flavor much like Paul Naschy's werewolf films. I find the cloaked skeletons on horseback a unique approach and so these are difficult to compare to. It's a vampire tale "from the old country" not from Stoker and with the Templar legend they become double fun.

I rather prefer the last two though. Ghost Galleon uses that rare but iconic plot of an ancient ghost ship and strands a bunch of bikini models on board! I couldn't compare it to anything really it's a rare treat. And Night of the Seagulls perfects the plot line of the first two movies by mixing in more of a Lovecraft and Wicker Man approach. As I recall the female lead in that isn't an idiot too so that's a big improvement as well. In the other three all the characters are about a smart as the comment section on YouTube.