thinking about picking up mortuary on dvd?

Discussion in 'General' started by ronnie21, May 28, 2012.

1. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

am i think wrong? just re watched it on you tube. and noticed that when killer kills the mom it was cut. I recall my cable version showing him repeatly stabbing christys mom? am i wrong? hows the picture??

2. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Picture is great...the mom kill is in full. Pretty dull movie though....I don't get the love for it...yeah, great Bill Paxton...other than that I find Mortuary to be a snoozer.

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  3. Bad_Ronald_1983

Bad_Ronald_1983 New Member

Good movie. DVD is great. Has the cool trailer with it as well, with I think Michael Berryman in it.

I thought the movie was creepy and unique, and had a great score.

-MATT-

4. ArrowBeach

ArrowBeach Active Member

Isnt this like your third post you started about you debating on if you should buy film? Just buy it already, or wait for it to go out of print and pay double for it. :sarcasm::p:D

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  5. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Initial feeling I got is that it would be dull as well. Thanks Chomp for saving me some bucks.

6. walkingdude

walkingdude Megatron

I just ordered this myself.It seems to be out of stock in some places.I checked with Amazon.ca and Deep Discount with no luck.I got it on Ebay.Only one seller had one copy.I was starting to think I should have pre-booked it.

7. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

It's listed as in stock on Amazon.com.

8. ronnie21

arrowbeach, i know I was wondering how long it will take before these katrinia scorpions will all be dropping out of print soon.. It seems like these days it dont take long for stuff to go right out of print.

9. frightmares

frightmares New Member

I pre-ordered it & watched it as soon as I got it. I thought it still held up pretty well, I enjoyed it all these years later! I never saw the trailer & loved it, I assume that they made it before filming even started. Anyone know more about that?

10. ronnie21

looks as though mortuary was lensed sometime in late 1980 iam gonna quess, or least before sept of 81 since david wallaces hair is longer in mortuary, the filming months for humongous were august and sept of 81.. so iam assuming mortuary was shot sometime in late 80 early 81. but boy does it look late 70's as i dont know what!!!!!

11. ronnie21

the trailer could have been filmed at anytime. i think they were trying to pass the film off in the ads as something diffrent than what is was...

12. ronnie21

Got mine today. was surprised how good the colors and video looked.. It still help up a little, always thought mary was hot. it could have been a little shorter, but the video on mortuary looked better transfer wise than house on sorority row, althought Row was a better movie. And. the mothers death scene is graphic and long... good stuff though.. Katrinas nightmare theater almost reminds me of rhonda shears up all night ha ha, Now. if only The Boogens Blu-ray picture will look this good this will make my summer.

13. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

Amen brother. The movie was extremely dull.

If anyone is interested, I have my copy up for trade/sale.

14. ronnie21

The nudity saved it.. it was only like 80 some Min's but felt like 2:20 mins.. They could have cut like 12 mins of footage out with her and the mom scenes... and added more nudity..

15. ronnie21

Also, Mary was opossed by the nudity. but only cause she was ashamed of her real body...

16. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

Compared to the high production golden age slasher years of 80-85, I suppose Mortuary does fall into a dull category at times. But I think it is different for different areas.

I LOVE the scenes with the mother. Those were the best. It's when we go to the morgue prematurely that is mucks itself up. That and the 50 minute wait between kills #2 and #3.

Bill Paxton was kind of annoying in the role. Had we remained in that beautiful house longer and had a brief 10 minute finale at the morgue, I'd have a higher regard for it. But overall, it's not a bad movie, and it have positives to it. But compared to other Scorpion slashers, Final Exam is better a smidge. House on Sorority Row, Double Exposure and Humongous are infinitely better! Those three are classics. Though in my mind, all 5 are classics.

17. ronnie21

i was really impressed with these scorpion releases overall, I mean they really did a great job of research and extras and cleaning up the pictures. I mean compare Final Exam's previos transfer to the new one. Night and Day. and Mortuary looks like avatar compared to the crappy vestron and cable versions... Humongous can finally see alot that was missing in VHS versions so kudos to them .. and keeping original artwork too.. with reversable covers. hats off.. Can't wait to see how the transfer for incubus looks if it ever gets released...

18. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Watched this for the first time yesterday and thought it was sort of lame. Not much in the way of suspense or interesting characters (outside of Paxton, he always rocks). The biggest problem were the many subplots that really took away from the believe-ability of the whole thing. For example:
    -My Mom's a member of some seance group with other local women who meet every couple of days to commune with the dead? That makes sense.
    -The lights in my house have randomly been going off and on for days and the phone lines have been dead for just as long even though we're in the middle of a city? Of course, that happens in reality and not just in badly written horror films.
    I did enjoy the killer's use of embalming tools for weapons and the finale was great, but this is one I could only recommend to hardcore slasher or Bill Paxton fans.
    The DVD bonuses were also a little weak. The only featurette was with the composer and he says right off the bat that he remembers nothing about his score for Mortuary because all of his scores from that period run together in his head. Good thing they interviewed you then!

19. ronnie21

yeah. re watched it again. its very slow and needed more nudity...

20. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I picked up the Blu of this one as a blind buy and finally got around to watching it tonight. I really enjoyed the first hour, but it ultimately unravels Popcorn-style--with yet-another overly talkative killer proving more is less. Until the disappointing reveal, I found a lot to appreciate: the 80s vibe, the suburban satanism element, and the somewhat quaint lack of contempt for the subject matter. The killer is scary-looking and very reminiscent of Captain Howdy. His costume adds a very welcome gothic horror vibe, and he's wisely kept in the shadows for the bulk of the first hour. I thought the scenes of him stalking around outside of the mansion were very well shot. As always, it's great to see Christopher George chewing the scenery, and his wife sure can fill a night gown. The final 20 minutes are ridiculous, and they negate most of the good that comes before. I'd still recommend this one for fans of 80s cheese or Bill Paxton's signature over-acting.

Angelman likes this.