The X-Files

Discussion in 'General' started by scarychick, Mar 11, 2003.

1. scarychick

scarychick Guest

Is anyone here an X-Files fan?

I started watching it back in 1996 and thanks to FX I was able to get caught up on the first 3 seasons that I missed. I watched the show faithfully until the final season, although I think the show started losing its steam in the 7th season.

There were some pretty creepy episodes of that show! :eek1: It was one of the best of the 90's, imho.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2003
  2. InkyWretch

InkyWretch Guest

another fan ...

Hey scarychick,

You're absolutely right -- the X-Files rocks.

My favorite single episode was "Bad Blood," from Season 5. It's the one where Mulder and Scully go to investigate a series of mysterious, vampire-like murders in a little Texas trailer park, which of course turns out to be a roaming colony of vampires.

The he said/she said format of the episode is hilarious, as is Skully's infatuation with the town sheriff.

I think that episode highlights one of the best things about the series -- its creators weren't afraid to make fun of it. Most of the episodes were serious, creepy, atmospheric dramas (and damn good ones), but every now again they'd throw all that out the window in favor of a geeky schlock fest.

Anybody else got any favorite episodes?

3. scarychick

scarychick Guest

Oh yes, Bad Blood was great!

It was especially hilarious how in Mulder's version, the sheriff {played by Luke Wilson, btw} had these big-ass buck teeth! :lol:

As far as my favorite episode, I have so many! I would have to say the Duane Barry/Ascension/One Breath episodes from the second season. One Breath was an especially powerful episode.

Other favorites:

Pilot {seson 1)

Beyond The Sea {season1}

Pusher {season 3}

Paper Hearts {season 4}

Small Potatoes {season 4}

Detour {season 5}

Kitsunegari {season 5}

Dreamland/Dreamland 2 {season 6}

The Rain King {season 6}

Field Trip {season 6}

Millennium {season 7} Great to see Lance Henriksen reprise his role of Frank Black here.

Sein Und Zeit/Closure {season 7}

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2003
  4. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I watched a bit during the first season, but never became a huge fan. The first episode I saw was Squeeze, which is still entertaining, but I hated the alien abduction and UFO episodes. For some reason, I find aliens and conspiracies to be totally ludicrous, yet I have no problem with a person hibernating for 30 years, squeezing through plumbing, and eating 5 people's livers...

Several episodes were released on Laserdisc, 2 episodes per disc. This is great for casual fans like myself.
    The X-Files LDs I have are
    Squeeze/Tooms
    Conduit/Ice
    Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose/War of the Coprophages
    Irresistable/Die Hand Die Verletz
    Humbug/Anasazi

and the classic

Herrenvolk/Home

some other favorites are Triangle and X-Cops, I don't know if I'd want entire DVD seasons just for those episodes though.

5. onebyone

onebyone Guest

I loved the X-files when Mulder was there, hated it when he left. :cry: My two favorite episodes tie together: Irresistible and Orison. The bad guy in those scares me to death, with his baths and funeral flowers everywhere. :nervous:

6. dmeister

dmeister New Member

Did you guys know that Bruce Campbell was considered for Duchovny's replacement? He and Robert Patrick both tried out for the new role, but Fox gave it to Patrick. Would've been interesting to see Bruce starring in a series like that, though.

dmeister

7. dvdasia62

dvdasia62 Guest

Excellent show. One of my all time favorites. My favorite episode is "All Souls" from season 5.

8. onebyone

onebyone Guest

I was so sad when I first read that. I would have been like, "Mulder who?" had that happened and been a hell of a lot happier with the end run of the show.

9. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

I forget the episode name but Bruce was in one of them where he was the devil trying to get a perfect hybrid offspring. He was great in it too. :D

My fave episode is the one with the dude from Exorcist III (the Gemini killer) in it. That was a great episode. :evil:

10. scarychick

scarychick Guest

the two episodes you're referring to are Terms Of Endearment {season 6} and Beyond The Sea {season 1) :)

11. dmeister

dmeister New Member

That guy from Exorcist III is Brad Douriff. Brad kicks ass. He's also been in LOTR The Two Towers, Child's Play (he's Chucky), Trauma, Graveyard Shift, Body Parts, Spontaneous Combustion, and a bunch of other flicks.

dmeister

12. dmeister

dmeister New Member

Yeah, Bruce would've done the role justice. I got to meet him last year; he's a great guy. Very funny, very friendly.

dmeister

13. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

Thanks for letting me know SC. ;) :D

Yes dmeister, he does kick ass. :evil: He's been great in all the stuff I've seen him in thus far. ;)

14. Cydeous

Cydeous Axxon N

I watched most of them up to when Mulder left. Since then, I saw only a few. Does anyone remember the episode that featured the Mothman?

15. Luna

Luna Guest

Oh, oh... The X-Files have sucked at least $600 from me so far with the season boxsets, but I don't mind. :D

The first episode I really remember seeing (I'd seen some before this one but didn't really *watch*) was "Teso Dos Bichos", you know, with the cats. :lol: Heh, I think I probably remembered because I couldn't believe they were saying "dos bichos" on the air. Sorta like the episode "Chinga", which was changed to "Bunghoney" or whatever because of what it meant in Spanish. ;)

I've gone WAY off track, but I must say it'd be VERY hard for me to pick a favorite episode. "Bad Blood" would have to be among them, as would "Musings of a Cigarette Smoking Man", "Triangle" and "The Calusari" or ANY episode with a creepy kid -- "Eve", "Conduit", etc. Now, I love ALL the mytharc episodes, pretty much and I just KNOW I'm missing major episodes I'd also claim to love. My brain isn't fully awake yet, though, so my list will remain incomplete. :D

Also, as much as I missed Mulder during the Mulderless episodes, I thought Robert Patrick did an excellent job and well, what a lot of people failed to mention in their bitchings on X-Files boards was that the X-Files was Mulderless mainly because David Duchovny helped make it that way (not getting into the whole FOX legal thing). Also, he managed to move the show from lovely Canada to sunny, decidedly un-dreary California, which I wasn't thrilled with either, but well, that's another story entirely! Eh, I wasn't thrilled with a *tiny* handful of the Mulderless episodes but on the whole I think the show chugged on rather nicely without him... they did what they could, ya know? :p

Now, what I wish is that Millennium hadn't been cancelled. I LOVED that show. Maybe I'm crazy, but I recall hearing something about it MAYBE being released on DVD? I cannot WAIT. :banana:

Erm, add the Lone Gunmen to my love list too. Any episode with them was a favorite and I swear, "Jump The Shark", their final episode... oh, I was stunned. I'd successfully managed to avoid any spoilers, but I did see it coming a mile away during the actual episode. :cry:

16. scarychick

scarychick Guest

Hey Cydeous,

I think the episode you're referring to is Folie A Deux from the 5th season...

that one really creeped me out! :eek1:

17. Cydeous

Cydeous Axxon N

Cool, thanks scarychick! I've been wanting to watch that one for a long time.

My favourite so far is the one with the men in black. It was kind of comic but still creepy.

18. JW77

JW77 Support Halliburton

:p

Got you all beat.

I was there from day one.

I was really looking forward to what FOX had in store for Friday nights. "Brisco County Jr" with Bruce Campbell (I was an ED fan even back then), and I also thought that that funky new show about UFOs that followed it looked cool, too.

So I'm going to watch them that night. But then some buds of mine wanted me to go the state fair with them, so I said yes and set the VCR.

So we get drunk and go the fair. Garth Brooks is playing there that night. Which is apropos of nothing.

Anyway, after a night of binge drinking and Tilt-a-Whirls I make it home at about three a.m. To unwind, I watch the tape.

Brisco County was pretty damned good. Steam punk western with Ash and a bit of Indiana Jones in the mix.

But it was X-Files that just fucking blew me away. That first episode, the pilot, was just dirty and grimy and dark and faded and spooky and brilliant. Mulder had the geek-chic thing going on and Scully was just brainy and cute. But FUCK that show was awesome. I saved the tape because I thought it wouldn't last a month.

But, as all good things must come to an end, I was pretty much burned out on X-Files by the fifth/sixth season. It just sort of lost its edge and nothing was ever really explained to my satisfaction. Seemed like they were just making the "conspiracy" up as they went along. It as after "Fight the Future" that I pretty much said fuck it and stopped caring. I caught the odd episode every now and then, but it just didn't mean much to me anymore.

And when
    Mulder knocked up Scully
    -- what the fuck was that? Fonzie revving up his motorcycle by a shark tank was what it was. From that point on, the show was pretty much fucked.

19. Curt Duncan

Curt Duncan Guest

I like the espisode darkness falls when the loggers up in the mountain cut certain trees that bring out flesh eating bugs that cannot be in the light.

20. dmeister

dmeister New Member

Those were my sentiments, exactly. After Duchovny left the show it was just the last nail in the coffin.

dmeister