The Warriors 1979

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by vidjunkie, Aug 23, 2014.

1. Shlockjock81

Shlockjock81 New Member

That info is a tad off. They freeze frame a comic book panel at the end so they no longer walk off into the distance (LAME), but Joe Walsh's "In The City" definitely still plays.

Still waiting for a definitive release of the theatrical version. Not sure what Walter Hill was thinking with the DC.

Just watched this movie again after having not seen it for a few years. As dated as it is, it gets better with age. Also did a run-through of the Xbox game (the most perfect movie-to-game translation ever made IMO).

2. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I watched it recently and loved it. Although I was slightly put off by how often they use the word faggot. "You goin' faggot on me?" I feel like I should've live tweeted the movie.

"Watching The Warriors. #goinfaggot"

~Matt

3. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I watched it on HBO in HD a few days ago, and it was definitely the theatrical cut.

I've never seen the director's cut, but this is what I was coming here to ask. Glad to hear the song is retained on the blu-ray. Sucks about the freeze frame though, the ending to the theatrical cut is pretty much perfect.

4. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

You mean 70s era NYC gang members were homophobes? The hell you say. I'm sure they're much more enlightened now...

Zombie Dude likes this.
  5. gobad2003

gobad2003 Well-Known Member

:lol:

6. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

But these gangs dressed up in matching outfits, sported thematic props, and wore makeup. They should be a tad more progressive.

7. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Good point. I'm sure that gang of mimes got their asses kicked on a daily basis. If not, they should have.

8. The Tall Man

The Tall Man Member

[​IMG]

Imagine catching a train these days and coming across these guys. Bahahahha

Edit: http://warriorsmovie.co.uk/gangs

9. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

As this is one of my all time favorite movies, I really hope that you can find a great source to work from. The comic book transitions are not only annoying, but breaks up the flow badly, when they do the freezeframes.

Sure, the movie have always had a bit of a comic book feel to it, when it comes to over the top characters etc. but damn did he take it too fucking far with this version.

Sometimes, the original directors should NOT be involved in the new releases.

10. burieddeep

burieddeep Dr. Obrero

I agree...the directors cut blows...the comic book transitions were such a terrible idea.

11. vidjunkie

vidjunkie Team Blu

OK we have gotten a lot of extras now for this as well as some really good ideas for in the case goodies, but we need help on something, does anyone have anything at all in the way of images, screens or pictures of what the color was supposed to be like back when this came out, I do not have the BD but am assuming it is close to the HD files that are being streamed, but some think that the HD file is correct where most believe the NTSC DVD is correct, I mean for me looking at the HD file it seems like the Riffs outfits were a tad more orange, and the skin on the Warriors was more tan, I mean they were outside at Coney Island lol.

So please if anyone has any input here please share, our HD video is in sync to the DVD(for the audio, plus we have a 5.1 track) and we are ready to make our final adjustments to the video and render then encode to get this out.

Thanks

Katatonia and Rotor1999 like this.
  12. vidjunkie

vidjunkie Team Blu

OK then, there must be zero interest in this one here, thanks anyways.

13. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I'm definitely very interested in it, but really have no clue what the original color timing looked like.

The Blu-ray looks damned good, it's just the shitty director's cut that ruins it! The colors on the DVD look more 70's and gritty though, so I would hazard "a guess" that it's closer to the original theatrical presentation. Hill probably fudged with them when he created the director's cut.

14. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

It's hard to know if any of the home releases have had the original theatrical color timing.
    But, yes, I would probably guess that the DVD of the original cut is closer to "correct" look.

15. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I've never giving up my original DVD!!

16. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

I have no idea what it looked like back the day, but would guess it's similar to the Night of the Living Dead 90 deal, where the dvd is close but a bit too bright. I'd say try to find a nice medium between the HD DC and dvd colors, and it should be close enough. Guess none of those who recall exactly how Halloween looked in the theater went to see this. Bummer.o_O:D

17. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Big fan of this movie, just watched it on I think it was Netflix a couple of weeks ago and it was the original cut. Hate the Directors Cut. If there was a re-release of some sort, would love to see the original daytime cut scenes added at the minimum as an extra or something. Think they were only used on broadcast if I remember correct. Would definitely buy this again and skid that directors cut disc across the driveway.

18. HorrorFan24

HorrorFan24 New Member

I've got the DC bd and the comic book crap takes you right out of the movie. It's been a long time since I've seen the theatrical cut, But I definitely need to watch it again.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  19. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I have the theatrical cut on dvd - I won't buy the bluray - what the hell was the Director thinking with that?

maskull likes this.
  20. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

The only version I've seen is the DC and the comic bits took me out of the film. I really hope they release a theatrical version in HD.