The Twilight Zone (2019)

Discussion in 'General' started by Steel76, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

This is the problem with all the episodes.
    Should have kept them at around 20-25 minutes.

They tried the 1 hour format in season 4 of the original show, and it didn't work well there either, so they went back to 30 minutes for season 5.

chancetx likes this.
  2. Dave

Dave Pimp

The latest episode, Six Degrees of Freedom, was the best one yet ... at least for me. Hopefully they can learn some things from season one and improve on season two.

3. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I also caught up with all the episodes so far.

The Comedian - Pretty much agree with the consensus, although I didn't dislike it. Very predictable, no surprises whatsoever, and it runs at least ten minutes too long. Also, for an episode about stand-up comedy, there wasn't a moment in it that was actually funny. Still, perfectly watchable and harmless but a weak note to start the series out on.

Nightmare At 30,000 Feet - This was my favorite episode by far. Very playful and fun, with lots of twists and turns. I liked that they remade a famous episode without actually remaking the episode. I love the monster on the wing of the plane, but I was also grateful they didn't do that again. Also, the macabre ending was hilarious and perfect for this type of anthology horror. Big thumbs up from me.

Replay - This was not only the worst episode of the new series so far, it might be the worst episode of any incarnation of Twilight Zone. I love social commentary wrapped in horror the way Jordan Peele is known for, but this was just social commentary wrapped in... nothing really. It was like staring at an angry political Facebook post for 45 minutes. If you'd like to see thoughtful well-done movies/television about police-shootings, check out Blindspotting and The Hate U Give from last year. This is not that.

A Traveler - This episode had a lot going for it, but completely missed the mark. Great cast, great setting, great atmosphere, and a great concept. The execution doesn't work though, and nothing comes together at the end. So close, but so far. If they had put just a little more effort into the screenplay, this could have easily been a standout episode.

The Wunderkind - I've kind of already forgotten this episode, I just remember that it was silly and slight. I was a little confused because the first half of the episode feels like a scathing satire of AOC, then very sharply turns and becomes a scathing satire of Trump. So I was kind of left like... which is it?

Six Degrees Of Freedom - I was dreading this episode because I think space and science fiction are boring. It turned out to be one of the better episodes. In fact, if they had explored further, it could have made for a decent feature. It's very thoughtful, the characters are engaging, and it really keeps you guessing. Well done.

Next week's episode Not All Men looks AMAZING, and it's hopefully the episode we all wanted this series to be.

4. Steel76

Started out pretty okey (I have a weak spot for alien threats crashing down on earth in a meteorite), but then fell apart, especially after that fucking twist.
    Definitely written and directed by angry feminazis that think men are nothing but rapists and murderers ;)

Why do I continue to watch the damn show?!? :D

5. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Finished off the season. Here are my thoughts on the four remaining episodes.

Not All Men - This was the best episode of the season by far. Or at least the most fun. The problem with this episode is that it feels like a feature-length movie that just abruptly stops at the 40-minute mark. Where's the rest of it? Normally my gripe with movies is that they would have worked better as shorts, and here I had the opposite problem. Directed by Christina Choe, who made the terrific indie Nancy.

Point Of Origin - This started out really engaging, but by the end I was a little bored of it. I did enjoy that it was filmed at the Cecil Green Park House, also seen recently in The Perfection. I visited there while in Vancouver. I also loved that it guest stars Michael Eklund and Karin Konoval, both of whom I'm a huge fan of. Overall, more good than bad.

The Blue Scorpion - This one was kind of a mess. Definitely not Replay bad, but it's one of the weaker episodes of the season. The story doesn't really make sense, nor does it accommodate the message they are trying to make. The Wunderkind had the same problem, as the show is so "left" that it contradicts itself while making its points.

Blurryman - The Twilight Zone goes meta! This starts out great and ends great, but the middle is a bit of a slog. It's a terrific concept for an episode, but it's stretched way too thin here. Which is shocking because this is one of the shortest episodes of the season! Still, old school Twilight Zone fans should dig this one.

So overall, there were maybe three episode of the ten that I'd recommend checking out. Not a great track record. Honestly, this show has the same problem that the latest season of Slasher has. They need to spend less time trying to show how "woke" they are, and more time simply trying to tell a good story. You can do both! It doesn't have to be one or the other! I like statement horror (Jordan Peele's movies being the perfect example), but it's nice when it's done with some intelligence behind it.

6. Steel76

So I was bored, and though, "what the hell", I'll give the last two episodes a watch.
    And I actually liked Blue Scorpion and Blurryman.
    Loved the final scene in Blurryman.

Those two and Nightmare at 30.000 feet was sadly the only ones that I enjoyed this season.
    I'll give the next season a chance, but I hope they improve on the scripts and the pacing, as most of the episodes bored me to death.
    And I hope they make the episodes around 20-30 minutes.