The Toxic Avenger on Blu-Ray

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by zbinks, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Nope, I've ordered from Zavvi several times before. No problems at all.

I was just being sarcastic about the Japanese cut perhaps being overly goofy, not the actual product or retailer.

2. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Okay, thanks. They have FORBIDDEN ZONE on blu for 7.99 so I'll give it a whirl.

3. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

4. Sinister Ash

Sinister Ash New Member

Anyone know if the Japanese Cut will be in NTSC or PAL on the 88 films release?

5. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

So the Jap Cut is only on the 88Films release and in SD?

6. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

Yep.

7. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

8. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

What version is better? I've never seen the Jap cut so I don't know if I should go for the UK release or get the US one which is meant to have more extras.

9. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

10. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

The Unrated DC is better. The Japanese cut is a must see for fans but the pacing in the DC is much smoother and the additional scenes don't add a whole lot (except revealing two characters didn't actually die)

11. shithead

shithead Death By Ejaculation

12. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Can't wait to view this on Blu-ray, it's still currently in the mail. The Toxic Avenger is the movie that changed it all for me as a wee lad and turned me into a movie maniac. I screened a 35mm print back in 2008, which actually turned out to be the Japanese cut with the alternate takes, extra montages and phone-booth scene. I'm pretty excited to revisit the film in HD.

13. Katatonia

It's definitely NTSC.

I received the Steelbook earlier today, and it looks great with the embossed cover. Lossless audio, and everything is on a dual-layer disc.

Also, here's detailed screen comparisons of the US Blu-ray with the old US DVD: http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleic...disc1=4532&disc2=4531&hd_multiID=1855#auswahl

I would expect the 88 Films to best the US Blu-ray, since the feature size on that release is about 8+ gigs in size larger (MPEG-4 AVC) — so there should be less compression artifacting.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  14. Sinister Ash

Sinister Ash New Member

Thanks for confirming the format guys.

Now I'm really interested to see how picture quality of 88 Films and Troma stack up.

15. Katatonia

I'm pretty sure the 88 encode will prove superior to the Troma. It has 8+ extra gigs for the feature itself...if caps-a-holic is accurate with the specs for the Troma release.

I can see some noticeable compression artifacts in the screenshots for the Troma BD. Here's a good example of that. It's not that bad in most shots, and certainly far better than the DVD, but I'm amazed they were too cheap to put everything on a dual-layer with all the bonus features and stuff.

16. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Didn't want to start another thread, so I revived this old thread.

Question: Am I correct in saying there aren't really any "behind the scenes" features is these Toxic Avengers blu's? For example, there's a bunch of features, but they are mostly silly made up stuff. Tour of Troma offices, etc...

I ask , because after I watched the first film (I've seen it many times before), I wanted to see how certain scenes were filmed, like stunts for example. Was searching on youtube and found a couple of real news pieces on when they were filming the movie in 84. And one had a shot of the fire stunt (it was real quick)and the dive through the window. (you see an outside shot, guy landing on the mattress) And this was on Troma's youtube channel. Why the hell isn't all this stuff on the Blu?

Also I remember years ago, maybe it was on the dvd. In part 2 or maybe 3. There was behind the scenes stuff, remember Lloyd was getting mad an some actor playing Toxie (but a normal version of Toxie) dream sequence. Is that in there?

Just an observation, now I love Troma films/Lloyd, but his commentaries are boring as hell. He doesn't get into any real details. Pretty annoying. So much missed opportunities to explain scenes and give insight. Like he didn't even mention hey that's Marisa Tomei. Nothing. On the burn stunt, he just said something to the effect that about being Rated R and ratings with the stunt. Nothing about a freaking guy running down the street doing an incredible burn stunt with random people watching.No mention of the stuntman name. So bizzare.

In comparison Poultrygeist had a huge behind the scenes feature.

BTW, I own all the 88 Films versions. I'm just now going through them (watched only the first movie so far)

17. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Just watched part II. Lloyd was better on the commentary this time around. More informative.

Edit: Watching Part III. Lloyd's commentary is almost worst the part 1. It's so disjointed, he has people walking in and he talking to them as scenes are passing by. Not to mention, (and I don't know if this was 88 Films fault) the audio commentary is not matching up. He's talking about scenes that are 5 to 10 minutes behind whats currently on the screen. Anybody else notice this or know the reason?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  18. zombi3

zombi3 Pure Evil

That's probably because the Blu-ray of Part III is the cut version. If this is the same commentary that was recorded for the old unrated DVD then it won't sync up.

baggio likes this.
  19. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

That makes sense now. Thanks for the info.