The Town that Dreaded Sundown (sequel/remake)

Discussion in 'General' started by rxfiend, Sep 10, 2014.

1. rhett

rhett Administrator

How is everybody watching this? Really excited to see it.

2. RJ Fielder

RJ Fielder Member

It's been released as a VOD.

3. rhett

rhett Administrator

Well I'll be, this is even here in Canada. Will be checking it out tonight, thanks for the tip.

4. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I got to watch this the other night and rather enjoyed it. I'm not a fan of the original but I thought this was very well made and the story was good. It's not a sequel like some have said though. It's more along the likes of New Nightmare where everyone is aware that the original film is a film. I really liked that approach here and thought they made it work really well. Like others have mentioned, due to lighting and clothing some scenes feel very 70's which is a nice touch.
    The only thing I wasn't thrilled about was the ending.

5. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    Trailer looks slick and the film looks well-made. Not the least bit scary to me (because it's so slick and the actors are so well made-up). Looks entertaining. Yes, it has ALL the current trends (digital color correction, ect) but it's nice to date movies to the era they were made.

6. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

I don't get the hype....this felt like a Scream sequel to me, but a lot less witty.

And the trombone death was nowhere near as hilarious and sinister as in the original.

The opening was great though...had me sucked in right away with the slick cinematography and lighting. But after that it seemed pretty generic and run of the mill,. ...with a rather lame "twist ending" that had zero payoff.

7. Zombie Dude

I agree about the ending. I had a hard time trying to remember who those people were. I also didn't like how easily the lead got over the deaths of people very close to her.
    I still think it was pretty decent though.

8. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Add me to the list of people who liked this one. It had a beautiful giallo atmosphere. They need to get Alfonso Gomez to do Halloween 3. He taught everyone a lesson here about making a simple story look great. It's shot out of a canon with much more style than was called for and likely expected.

Maybe there is no right way to satisfactorily end a film like this? It's the victim of it's own merits. After all it's just a slasher film at the end of the day. When it sets the bar so high in it's presentation, the payoff becomes more and more difficult to achieve. I was fine with it, but I can see how some may feel like it deserved something more.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  9. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Watched this "remake/meta-sequel/homage" last night on VOD and hated it. Absolutely ham-fisted on every level; from the sub-par direction and acting, to the one-note hysterically bland or over-the-top characters ("Call me Lone Wolf" - really? Come on...), to the "stylistic" mess that is the costume design - sorry, but the whole 60s/70s dress code/decor in the modern setting completely didn't work for me - it actually looked more 90s DTV production design than faux-retro. And the 'tie-in' was so poorly executed, leading to the
    Scream-esque red-herring with under-developed/positioned characters
    that really just comes out of left field to package up all its wrong doings in plot development/lack of story. My opinion is avoid this one even if you see it calling you under a stack of $4 white-cover red-letter rom-coms in the Wal-mart cheap-o bins.

10. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

No.

11. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Thank you for your non-elaborated rebuttal to my personal opinion of the film. In contrast to your views I found the "simple story" far too simple and under-developed, and reminiscent in set-up and execution to other much better films, such as cited in my opinion in regards to it's ending specifically:

which clearly steals its set-up Scream, and really also with its entire meta-world.
    To your praise that it had a "beautiful giallo atmosphere" I personally found the style of the film to be complete kitsch, which just didn't work for me - the giallo-esque 70s lighting to the costume design and decor just felt forced and unnatural and took me out from the film's hastily world. Sure, I can agree the camera work was slick but the whole film was pretty much style over substance, and the substance was severely lacking and poorly plotted, poorly written, and poorly executed. But that's just my opinion.

12. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Yes

Ok, sorry to be a dick Morallysound, but I just STRONGLY disagree to pretty much everything you said about it. ;)

13. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

It's not a bad movie by any means, but I don't see the overall appeal. It works better than I thought it would, but good god was the ending atrocious. The "motive" for the killer is so idiotic and vague it really took a lot away from what it had. In all honesty the killer in "Urban Legend: Final Cut" has a more reasonable and defined motive than the one in this film.

14. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Im not really a fan of the original but this one convinced me that maybe I should be. Going in there wasnt much to live up to, so i dont think i was as invested in needing the end to payoff as much as you guys. Thats not to say I was dissatisfied with it though.

15. 7_RaggedTiger

7_RaggedTiger Member

Yeah I have to agree with MorallySound spot on review.

16. Buechlers_beard

Buechlers_beard Well-Known Member

I rather enjoyed it! BD please ;)

17. Zombie Dude

That's pretty much how I feel. I wouldn't tell people to avoid it by any means as it has its cool moments, decent characters and is shot quite well. But yea, that ending was pretty bad. I feel like there's zero payoff with where they took it. My only other BIG issue is that the lead doesn't seem as phased as she should be about the deaths of those quite close to her. She's a decent character but starts verging on unlikable, especially when they show how she's moved on at the end. I feel like she'd be a little too damaged to be doing what she was, but that's me.

18. Cujo108

Cujo108 Member

I didn't expect much from this and mainly watched for Addison Timlin, but it was surprisingly unflinching and moody with a great time out of place quality. Beautifully shot, too. The climax is where it goes wrong. Reminded me of the overly explanatory ridiculousness of the Sorority Row remake's reveal. Despite that, I'll be buying this one.

19. Zombie Dude

Sorority Row's ending is fine. They were clear with their reveal and I knew who the character was. It's a hundred times better than this films ending where I had no idea who the reveal was of.

20. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

:eek2::eek2:

Huh? How could you not know who the character is? Not only does it show the person throughout the entire film it makes it very clear why he's doing it.

Some people UGH!