The Suicide Squad 2021

Discussion in 'General' started by russweiss, Aug 8, 2021.

1. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

The original Suicide Squad felt really generic. Especially when the bad guys showed up. The bits with Batman although good, almost thrown together with the story. Joker was terrible which is probably why we haven't seen him since. Except of course in the Snyder Cut. Which isn't official so that doesn't really count.

And by bringing up the original, I forgot Katana was missing in the sequel.

2. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I thought Jared Leto did a great job as Joker. It's unfortunate that a lot of his scenes were edited from the film. Maybe one day we'll get a longer Ayer cut.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  3. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

i-hope-so-polka-dot-man.gif

Zombie Dude likes this.
  4. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Is that meant to be a question?
    If so, there's more than just a score change in the Ayer cut. It would have ditched a lot of the weird editing and burst of colour transitions. Characters would have been more fleshed out. There's a longer scene of June in the Amazon discovering the Enchantress relic. Katana actually has scenes, one of which she fights the squad. More joker and Harley stuff. There's enough there to really change up the feel and flow of the movie. Here's a vid that goes through a lot of the differences.

5. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

I don't know if I can really say that Leto did a great job as the Joker. But, I did love all the Harley/Joker stuff in the first one. Really was my favorite bits. And when pushed to say good things about the film, those are the parts that I happily defend. The rest was a mess of good ideas buried and suffocated by terrible ideas.

6. Zombie Dude

And even then a lot of that got nerfed. I remember seeing footage of them filming scenes with the Joker abusing Harley before her chemical dip. Seems there was a lot more to their psych sessions too. The video I posted also mentions the club scene where Joker kills Monster T, where the original cut had Joker convince the guy to kill himself.

7. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

So where's this cut, and how do we see it?

8. Zombie Dude

Presumably in WB vaults. David Ayer has said it exists in a releasable form.

baggio likes this.
  9. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Figured I should finally watch this thing, since it's being taken off HBOMax tomorrow. I loved the pre-credits sequence, and for the first half-hour or so I was thinking this might actually be pretty good. As it went along though, it devolved into the same old dumb superhero shit that ran its course years ago. There are quick bursts of energy and humor here and there, which I have to credit to Gunn, but for the most part this is just another one of those movies. I will say that I appreciated that James Gunn understands that these movies are inherently stupid, and decided to play that up (the villain is a giant starfish, and one of the squad shoots polka dots).

Far from the worst of this genre, but aside from the stellar opening sequence, this one really doesn't stand out among the rest.

10. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I thought he was too extreme. He came off like a ghetto pimp with the tattoos.

The bit with Enchantress in that video would have helped as I thought the bad creatures were really generic.

I think everyone is spoiled from Suicide Squad now. But here is that two part Batman Beyond episode for those that haven't seen it and want to check it out.

https://www.wco.tv/batman-beyond-season-3-episode-46-the-call-part-1

https://www.wco.tv/batman-beyond-season-3-episode-47-the-call-part-2