THE STAND- King's most emotional film

Discussion in 'General' started by Cujo108, Sep 11, 2001.

1. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

I absolutely LOVE The Stand miniseries! It is definitely a favorite of mine. I thought it portrayed the novel very well. All of the actors do a great job and the film is just classic. It also emotionally moved me. I felt very bad for quite a lot of the characters. The evil characters were the only ones I felt for though. I really liked ALL of the evil characters very much, but I can honestly say that I don't think there was a single good/heroic character that I liked. Since I liked all of the evil characters, the emotion was stronger. Just to name a few I felt very bad for, the absolutely gorgeous Laura San Giacomo's Nadine character went through a lot of hell. I also felt bad for Miguel Ferrer's character and the Harold Lauder character, as well as Trashcan Man and several others. I had a very strong liking of them all and really wanted the evil side to win. I truly think this is an epic horror film and would like to know what you all think of it. Please discuss The Stand though, and don't just say what you think is King's most emotional film or whatnot. You can, but I want to here opinions on this great film. Thanks!

2. 2D4EVER

2D4EVER Guest

OK

I liked The Stand. It was pretty interesting. It wasn't really scary but it was still good. Trashcan man was pretty messed up. So was Harold and the lady who married Flagg. I like almost all of the King miniseries. But most have a happy ending. I want some bad endings.:p

We are dead..and...this...is...HELL!

3. 2D4EVER

2D4EVER Guest

Yeah I saw Storm of the Century. Forgot about that one. It was OK.

I guess a lot of people here like Jeepers Creepers.:)

Anyone else not like that blind girl in The Langoliers?

Tumi should have lived!

That was just too happy an ending. One guy died a heroic death and Tumi was killed. Woo hoo. How about when they go back they are stuck in between dimensions or something? I want a bittersweet ending. They survived but they are still not back to the right place type of ending. Like in that Simpsons epsiode.;)

Re-eNEDucation.

4. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

It's been a while since I've seen the mini-series, but I recently finished the book and, like you Cujo, I felt more sympathy for the supposedly evil characters. This is, however, probably intentional. What King is saying is that when it comes to life-or-death situations like that you have to make certain choices. There are two leaders, a good one and a bad one and the bad one is, of course, a lot more appealing. Living in Vegas, treating his people well... you'd forgive people for turning to him. And, as is much too often the case with King, his "good" characters are all-too goody-goody for my taste. They're not entirely perfect, but almost and I need some flaws to be able to root for them. The same problem is in King's The Eyes of the Dragon fairy-tale/novel, where the main characters are so incredibly kind-hearted, you actually begin to root for the evil magician. You also feel a lot more sorry for the "evil" characters as their lives have been a lot more difficult than the lives of the others; what they go through is hell. The Nadine character is especially sympathetic - extremely evil at some times, extremely real and sad at other times. This is what makes King such a genius, he makes characters that have multiple dimensions - characters you like, he just needs to lay off the cream-machine when it comes to his heroes.

5. Col. Ives

Col. Ives Guest

The Stand is my favorite King movie, I bought The DVD the day I got my DVD player.

6. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

I didn't much care for any part of the Langoliers. Did that really need to be a 4 hour movie? And did the langoliers need to be cartoons. I waited 3 and a half hours for the big payoff of the creatures and they were cartoons. I could've watched Evil Toons three times in the time it took to watch the Langoliers once. At least theres tits in Evil Toons. Though I really thought that blind girl was gonna flash something, but nothing. Ok that was uncalled for. Sorry. My favorite King movie is Creepshow I suppose, but I think I'd like the Green Mile, but I don't have time to watch long ass Stephen King movies anymore. Wait, yeah I do. I dont have a job yet. Maybe I'll watch that tomorrow. Also I thought Christine was kinda cool. And don't laugh, but I've never seen Carrie all the way through so I cant judge that one. I saw the beginning and the end but thats it.

7. Andrew

Andrew Guest

As Long As We're Talkin' King Movies...

I loved Christine. One of my faves.

Cujo was okay, better book though.

Salem's Lot was awful. I loved the book so much, but the filmed version was really off. Just didn't piece together right for me.

Green Mile was pretty good. Long, but worth watching.

What else.........ummmmm....... oh yeah!

Silver Bullet was great! Loved the book too.

8. highdef

highdef Guest

THE STAND is one of KING'S best!

This is truly Stephen King's opus!
    The film adaptation was an incredible undertaking
    by director MicK Garris. The dvd transfer is simply
    outstanding. The disc's picture and sound are top-notch.
    This IS A MUST OWN dvd!

9. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Anyone know if the The Stand DVD in the 5 Disc Stephen King Giftset including The Langoliers and Golden years is the same as the OOP Artisan release. Does it include the commentary, making of featurette, and Special Effects & Storyboard Photo Gallery?

10. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I saw the first part of The Stand and didn't want to see any more. It's overlit, looks like it was shot for television (which it was) and was too damned sappy.

11. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

Wow, old post. I still love this miniseries. I'd rank it right behind Cujo as my second favorite King adaptation. That said, I also still hate the so-called heroes. Their goody two shoes, holier than thou attitude just irks the hell out of me, even more so in the film than it ever did in the book. I love this story for the "evil" characters. They're the ones I feel for, they're the ones I connect with. When Nadine and Harold blow up the house, it makes me smile. I think it says something when the only character that I liked on the "good" side was Kojak.

12. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

While Molly Ringwald continues to annoy the hell out of me in this series, I have to say the most emotion I felt was when the four are walking toward Vegas. The music and the direction really elevate that part above made-for-TV.

13. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

I always get caught up in ol' Tom Cullen. M-O-O-N. He and Rob Lowe had some great chemistry.

I've loved this since I was a kid and I have been trying to track down The Langoliers for awhile. Thanks for reminding me about that one, spawningblue.

14. 2D4EVER

2D4EVER Guest

Curse you to hell for bumping this thread. How embarrassing. Even on the internet. I was a smiley obsessed ass.

15. MrKateB

MrKateB Asshole Extraordinaire

I, to be quite frank, did NOT care for the blind girl in The Langoliers one iota. In fact, there were times where I wanted nothing more than to literally punch her lights out, and make her blind all the further, with that damned monotone, whining and nasal droniing she was always doing.

What an asshole she was.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
  16. MrKateB

MrKateB Asshole Extraordinaire

by the way, re:The Stand, I thought it was kind of a bummer that the character of Susan Strode (the blond who shows up on the way to the old bat's farmhouse) didn't stick around longer--I thought she was kinda purty.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
  17. snowbeast323

snowbeast323 New Member

I should really revisit The Stand, I watched it years ago and can't really remember that much about it or what I thought about it.

18. HellRazor

HellRazor New Member

Funniest thing I've read all day, lol! :D

19. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

It should be.
    I bought that set way back when they first went OOP, or at least it rumored they were and my Stand has all the stuff. If you can get that box for a decent price it's worth having, except for the way sub-par Cujo. Plus I've never heard of or seen any other dvd version of The Stand ever (in the US that is).

BTW, the Stand in my box was the double disc in the doublewide case. I've seen some in normal cases and Ithink on dual-sided discs. Both are identical contentwise.

20. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I think the miniseries is good, but it definitely suffers from some of the limitations of made-for-TV stuff. Still, this sported a great cast and was able to keep my attention for 8 fucking hours.