The Ring

Discussion in 'General' started by Lindane, May 2, 2001.

1. Lindane

Lindane Guest

Hello fellow horror fans! Sniff Sniff, god I love you guys. Anyways, I just saw The Ring and loved it. Just wondering, have any of you guys seen The Ring 2? Saw the trailer and it looked pretty decent. Is it any good? How does it compare to the first one? Is it out on DVD? Video? Where can it be found?

2. Maupin

Maupin Guest

The plot to Ring 2 is a bit corny, but it doesn't matter because the film is even more creepy than the first one (in my opinion). All in all, it doesn't stand out as much as the first one, but it's well worth picking up for the excellent bits here and there.

3. suspiria

suspiria Guest

I've been meaning to check this film out due to all the great reviews going round. Can anyone recommend a decent online store for me to get this from. Some place that aint a rip-off would be good :)

4. If you're speaking of the original 'Ring', you can get it R2 by clicking here. No region 1 disc will ever surface, most likely, since the fuckheads at Dreamworks thought it'd be better to re-make it. I hate Hollywood.

5. vroberts

vroberts New Member

Shit, that sucks!! Why can't those bastards just release it in Japanese and subtitled. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon proved the Hollywood idea wrong, which was that people can't read and watch a movie at the same time. I mean, a bad dub would be one thing, but a remake? That is just friggin stupid to do to such a great film. I never thought the day would come when we steal ideas from Japanese cinema (not counting anime). Why dont we just make a re-make of Eko Eko Azarak while they're at it... Shit, what a bunch of dumbasses!!

6. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

There was a few Ring film topics so I wasn't sure whether to created a new one to discuss Arrow's Blu-ray set. Feel free to movie this to a more appropriate thread.

So far I've watched Ring, Ring 2 and Spiral. I just have Ring 0 to go.
    I must say I was surprised by the first film. I think this is one rare instance,eespecially from foreign to American, where I prefer the remake. I think the tape is more interesting, the detective element better and the death faces to name a few things. The Japanese version felt a bit tame and slow in comparison which shocked me.

Ring 2 I found a lot better. It was scarier with more moments I found effectively creepy and I liked that they expanded on the mythology more.

Then I watched Spiral and enjoyed it for maybe 40 minutes to and hour, thinking it was reminiscent of a giallo. After that though it didn't bother to pick up the pace and I lost interest. Plus they changed things like no death faces from those that viewed the tape which I really didn't like.

Hopefully Ring 0 is another good one I can enjoy.