The Ring

Discussion in 'General' started by gusse, Aug 28, 2001.

1. gusse

gusse New Member

What do you think about "The Ring"? I went out and got my selfe a copy the other day after hearing many good things about it... I have only seen it once and have to say that it's a pretty darn cool movie! I had pretty high expectations after reading all lots of stuff about the movie on the net and sort of thaught it would be even more scary - but all in all I have to say I'm pretty pleased with it. And the ending probably is one of the creepiest things I have seen in a LONG time - damn that shit was unsetteling!!!!!

It seems as Ring2 is a pretty decent sequel judging by the reviews I have read - any one care to comment on that? And how about the re-make "The Ring Virus", is it as good?

For those who havent seen the movie yet: If you tend to like atmospheric ghost-like movies where the horror is more present in you mind than it's visible on the screen you really should give this one a shot! Very little blood/gore but TONS of shilling atmosphere to keep you feeling uneasy (in a nice horror-kind-of-way you know ;D) through out!

And, btw: Hollywood is curently gathering people to make an americanized re-make so be sure to give the original one a spin before the masses cath on and belittle the experience ;)

2. DVD Connoisseur

DVD Connoisseur Active Member

Absolutely!

There's a chilling sense of dread from the start with this movie. It's spine-tingling fun and relies on good old fashioned suspense and the viewer's imagination to drive the shocks home. I like this movie....I like it a lot!

I haven't seen the second installment or the prequel yet. I'll treat myself to Ring 2 once I've enjoyed the first film another time.

3. Zombie Keeper

Zombie Keeper New Member

Ya, I agree, great film...

4. Trout

Trout Guest

Is there a decent R1 release out there somewhere?

5. flesh-huntr

flesh-huntr Guest

I think Ring is a great, ORIGINAL film. (not a word used much anymore in this age of sequals).....
    Ring 2 on the other hand is imo not nearly as good, and tries too hard to follow the same formula. It goes with the slow build up and shocking ending that falls a little short and makes very little sense. I would still recommend it for the story continuation and the fact that sub par Asian horror blows away anything being cranked out of Hollywood these days.
    I would highly recommend to anyone who liked Ring to check out Audition or Tell Me Something. You won't be sorry.

6. Maupin

Maupin Guest

The Ring series are excellent films.

Ring 2 has a much more convoluted story, but I think it bests the original for the number of creepy scenes. Unfortunately as a whole it breaks down - still I prefer it over Ring 1. The prequel, Ring 0 is also pretty good, but not perfect either and not as creepy. I haven't seen the Korean knockoff of Ring yet.

Recently I watched KAIRO (Circuit, or "Pulse"), a movie which almost blatantly steals from the Ring series' "people doing strange things on video monitors are creepy" motif. It wasn't well-directed (seemed to be composed of all master shots!) and the story was confusing and choppy. Kind of like a technically deficient Argento film, but it did have its moments.

7. Ash

Ash New Member

Yeah what Trout said. Is there a R1 disc of the film?

8. slinker

slinker Un-Holy Force.

The Ring is one of the most sinister and dread filled movies ive ever seen!..and the sequel delivers even more shocks but goes a bit overboard on the brain with its confusing plot....SADA =^,^=
    that freeze frame video sequence in the Ring 2 is totally frightening, definately the stuff that nightmares are made of! 10/10

9. vroberts

vroberts New Member

There is no R1 Ring release, and it is doubtful for a while as Dreamworks has the rights to the franchise and are making the re-make. The only DVD of Ring 1 & 2 I know of are the Tartan PAL discs (With white subs :mad: ).

Ring 2 is definitely not as good as the first. It had it's moments, but like said before, VERY confusing story. Although the scene in the hospital was truly chilling.