The Purge TV Series - September 4th on USA

Discussion in 'General' started by CPT HOOK, Jun 29, 2018.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Premieres on September 4th.

10 episodes.

Between this and The First Purge, we're on Purge overload this year. Thanks Trump!

fceurich39 likes this.
  2. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

I for one love the Purge films looking forward to the 1st Purge on July 4! The TV series not so much just like Chucky getting a TV series I'd rather have another movie. But hey ash vs evil dead is amazing but it ended after 3 seasons.

3. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

The series that should be over keeps going. I won't watch these anymore. Not the TV show or the origin movie.

4. CPT HOOK

Premieres tonight at 10PM. Same time slot as the Mayans MC premiere, so I doubt it will do very well.

5. CPT HOOK

Anyone watch the premiere last night?

The first episode is pretty much the two hours before the start of the Purge, with the Purge kicking off in the last ten minutes.

It doesn't seem like they're exploring anything beyond what we've seen in the movies. All the character set-ups so far have all been identical to ones we've already seen. So basically, it's more of the same, only with a made-for-TV aesthetic.

Seems fun though. If you enjoy the movies, I can't imagine you wouldn't like it.

Also, one of the leads is from the excellent indie horror What Keeps You Alive, which is currently OnDemand. Her boyfriend is the lead from Blumhouse's Unfriended: Dark Web, so they're keeping it in the Blumhouse family.

fceurich39 likes this.
  6. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Saw the first episode. It was pretty good, like you said it was just a set up leading to the Purge. I have the second ep on my DVR waiting to be watched. Probably get to that soon. Lot of people saying the series is shaping up to be better than the movies. Plenty of time to develop characters. We'll see, it's still early.

7. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

I hope it doesn’t fall into the soap opera trap, like most other horror/genre shows seems to do these days.

8. CPT HOOK

Episode 1 was a fun set-up, but episodes 2 & 3 have been a huge bore.

Hope the show starts heading somewhere soon.

9. CPT HOOK

Just ahead of tonight's season finale, The Purge has been renewed for season two.

I thought a majority of this season was pretty boring, but I did really enjoy episode 9, which ridiculously ties all of our main characters together. For the most part, there's no reason this entire season couldn't have been just a normal two-hour Purge movie. Hopefully season two will take advantage of the format.

10. CPT HOOK

So... that's over.

I liked episode 1 and episode 9. The rest was pretty meh.

I hope season two will follow a new group of characters, because they killed off the most interesting character here. The rest are all pretty boring.

11. fceurich39

Will wait and get the complete season 1 DVD or bluray before checking this series out.

12. CPT HOOK

You're in luck. The Purge: Season One will be released on blu-ray and DVD on January 8th.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

fceurich39 likes this.
  13. fceurich39

Excellent news will be getting this day 1 thanks for the info.

14. Dave

Dave Pimp

I'm seven episodes in and enjoying this. Make get the blu.

15. CPT HOOK

Season two is over, and it was an improvement over the first. Still, nothing spectacular.

This season took place over the year between Purges. Episode one shows the final hours of the Purge, then the following year's Purge is shown over episodes 9 & 10. In between that, it's all the character drama of having to face your friends and neighbors in the aftermath, allowing it to explore some new areas that the movies never have. It also explores crimes that aren't murder (in this case, a bank robbery).

One storyline involves two fraternity pledges who are tasked with going out on Purge night. One is attacked and the other leaves him for dead... only he's not dead, and when he comes back to the frat house the next day it makes for an awkward reunion. Also, what happens when someone kills on Purge night and develops a taste for killing? How does a serial killer satisfy their urges in the 364 days between Purges?

Another plotline involves a suburban couple who survive a Purge night attack, only to discover someone had placed a Purge night bounty on their head. They survive the night, but now they have to figure out who placed the bounty before the next Purge night when more assassins will come after them.

Also, what happens when a crime is committed right on the 6AM end-of-purge threshold? Can that person be held legally accountable for that crime?

So yeah, this was a much more interesting approach then just doing a Purge night stretched out over 10 hours. It allowed them to do things the movies haven't. I definitely prefer the movies, but this was still fun if you're a fan. Also, there's a nice cameo in the season finale by a character from the movie(s).

fceurich39 likes this.
  16. fceurich39

Any idea when season 2 is coming out on DVD bluray?

17. CPT HOOK

March 31st. DVD only, no blu-ray.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

fceurich39 likes this.
  18. fceurich39

Excellent I have season one on DVD never did find it in store on bluray. Been waiting for season 2 never have watched season one yet.