The Predator (2018) Review

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by thing, Sep 13, 2018.

1. thing

thing Well-Known Member

The Predator (2018, Shane Black)

I love the first two predator films and have seen them both many times. The third film ‘Predators’ had its moments but is not a good film and now we have Shane Black (the Nice Guys, Iron Man 3) trying to rejuvenate the franchise with this fourth entry. Black would seem to many like the man for the job as he was on screen in the original and proved to the numbers guys that he can turn a profit with a tent pole like Iron Man 3. However despite loving his last film “The Nice Guys”, I had my doubts that his more comedic sensibilities would jive with a franchise that despite what other faults any of the three previous chapters might have had, has always taken itself seriously.
    My doubts were realized by the film being a very unserious tonal mess. To be fair at the start I decided to just go along with the ridiculousness of the film and actually had fun watching the first third of the film despite no characters being fleshed out, not being very well made with poor effects. However the terrible choices kept adding up and made the rest of the film a chore.
    The film has way too many characters and way too much universe building style story elements and absolutely none of them are good. Most of the cast are fine and do well enough with what they have to work with but the leading man is very bland and Olivia Mann is very miscast. The Predator creature through the first half of the film is done practically like he has been in the previous films and looks good but the super-predator who arrives later in the film is done with cgi and looked awful and basically suck really bad. Not only that but they team him up with one of the worst parts of the previous chapter, the predator-dogs, who are terribly rendered and are just a bad idea from the get go.
    In the end you have a film that was planned to reinvigorate the franchise and tries to set you up for more films but gives you a total mess of bad ideas, bad effects, bad action, some ok gore with a few laughs in a film that looks like a B film from the 90’s. Also the post climax tag is embarrassingly awful... I doubt we will see another Predator film anytime soon.

3.5/10

ImmortalSlasher likes this.
  2. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

What do you think about the Alien vs Predator movies?

3. thing

thing Well-Known Member

I try not to for the most part. but I remember finding the first AvP film very dull and lackluster and Requiem is on my list of worst films ive ever seen.
    I don't really count them in the predator franchise, the same way I do not count them in the Alien franchise.
    As it stands The Predator is the worst of the four predator films, not as bd as requiem and at least more interesting than AvP

4. thing

thing Well-Known Member

Further to your question.. If i include them I would rate the series thusly

Predator 8/10
    Predator 2 7.5/10
    Predators 5.5/10
    The Predator 3.5/10
    AVP 3.5/10
    ABP Requiem 1/10

5. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

Thanks. I recently read a post where someone thought that Alien vs Predator was more of an Alien movie and AvP Requiem was more of a Predator movie. Or perhaps vice versa. I can't remember. AvP Requiem is on demand and I tried watching some of it. I don't think I can make it though the whole movie again.