The Possession Of Hannah Grace (2018)

Discussion in 'General' started by CPT HOOK, Nov 30, 2018.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Now in theaters.

A shocking exorcism spirals out of control, claiming the life of a young woman. Months later, Megan Reed (Shay Mitchell) is working the graveyard shift in the morgue when she takes delivery of a disfigured cadaver. Locked alone inside the basement corridors, Megan begins to experience horrifying visions and starts to suspect that the body may be possessed by a ruthless demonic force.

I caught a matinee of this today. It's basically the mainstream studio version of The Autopsy Of Jane Doe, only filtered through the typical Sony horror aesthetic of movies like Slender Man or Raimi's Ghost House Pictures line-up. How you feel about those movies is probably a fair gauge of how you'll feel about this one.

Running a brisk 85-minutes, a majority of the running time of this very quiet horror movie is mostly Shay Mitchell's character wandering through the morgue, with an occasional jump scare or a creepy figure lurking in the background. The plot is extremely straight-forward, and there's not much in the way of twists or surprises. It's exactly what the trailer looks like. Nick Thune kind of steals the movie in his small role, I couldn't help but think this would be a better movie with him as the lead. Everyone else here is pretty generic.

I don't think I'd recommend it unless you have a subscription service like A-List or MoviePass. I'm sure it will wind up on Starz soon enough, like most Sony releases.

It's probably weird that I'd start a thread on a movie that I was just so-so on, but considering it's the big theatrical horror release of the weekend, I figured I might as well say a few words.

Anyone else see this yet, or planning to check it out this weekend?

2. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

I only heard of this one a few days ago, I will probably wait for it to make its way to one of the streaming services I'm subscribed to. How many of these "The ____ of" titled movies are there? Seems to be a lot of these lately, might be a fun Letterboxd list to make to keep track of all the Haunting of, Possession of, Exorcism of movies out there.

3. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I remember Shay Mitchell from PRETTY LITTLE LIARS. Might catch a matinee of this.

4. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I saw this one too and agree that it was just average. The R rating made me hope for more. There were a few creepy scenes with Hannah and the studio was smart to make the film so short. Autopsy of Jane Doe is a much better film yet that one didn't play in the theater (at least not wide release). At Regal Cinemas this was part of a see 3 films and get free digital copies and I generally take advantage of these.

CPT HOOK likes this.
  5. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I put this on my list after seeing a bit of the trailer on TV. It will be a home watch though.