The Official Turner Classic Movies (aka TCM) Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by Shawn Francis, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Jamie

Jamie Member

Thanks for the heads up man.

2. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Awesome to see Final Exam on TV late night last night! I made it a point to save a couple of beers for it. I've never seen Night School so I set my dvr.

3. scott71670

scott71670 Active Member

On June 28, Turner classics at 8 pm is showing the film Some of my Best Friends Are, which is from AIP in 1971 and currently unavailable on any format. It covers the Christmas Eve of the patrons of a gay bar and their various intermingling narratives, and I can identify with this film waaaay more than Boys in the Band. As someone who went to gay bars frequently in the 80 and 90s, this film accurately captures the inclusiveness of the exclusivity of everyone there. It was a different time in that all the bar patrons had a We Are Family vibe (if you want to learn more about this, look up the Up Stairs Lounge in New Orleans where they'd close the party singing United We Stand by Brotherhood of Man in 73), which was diluted by the era of greater acceptance we live in today. Some of the cast includes Rue McClanahan, Fannie Flagg, Gary Sandy, and the incredible Candy Darling, whose beauty it appeared they had to downplay until her fantasy sequence. It's also a good reminder to today's kids that we LGBTs had it a lot harder than worrying about if our pronouns got bruised.

Myron Breck and chancetx like this.
  4. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

This appears to be on Amazon Prime as well.

Myron Breck likes this.
  5. chancetx

chancetx Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads up, scott71670! I keep hoping Vinegar Syndrome might get their hands on this one.

6. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Friday night on TCM Underground at 2AM is Another Son Of Sam, which was included on AGFA's The Zodiac Killer blu-ray.

At 3:30AM is Alone In The Dark (1982). I wonder if this is a new HD transfer? There has been speculation that Scream Factory is releasing a blu-ray, as they got Jack Shoulder on the Valentine blu-ray for a 30 second Easter egg.

chancetx likes this.
  7. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Their October schedule is up. Most of the usual stuff, which while good, is what they show every year this time. Lot of kaiju, which outside of Mothra I'm not a huge fan of. There's some late 60s Japanese horror I haven't heard of but will look up. Also the interesting Irma Vep, which has an amazing sequence of Maggie Cheung slinking around in a tight leather suit to a Sonic Youth song.