The next remake: Stephen King's IT

Discussion in 'General' started by Workshed, Jun 7, 2006.

1. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Caught it last night. Thanks to drizzly weather (we were skirted by Hurricane Dorian) the theater was only half full. Overall I enjoyed it, well done technically and well acted but I did feel it was overlong and repetitive in the back half. At times it felt like the most expensive ELM STREET movie ever made.So ,I enjoyed it but liked part one better,, which is exactly what I thought of the miniseries when I saw it years ago.

Katatonia likes this.
  2. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I was honestly somewhat disappointed with part one and found it very average, so do you think I would enjoy this one even less then?

3. Erick H.

If you had a tepid reaction to the first one then I doubt a longer , more convoluted follow up is gonna rock your world. If you want to judge the story as a whole you might wanna catch it cheap but if you aren't that involved just catch it on Netflix.Again, while I enjoyed it overall, if the first film wasn't your cup of tea you likely aren't gonna be won over by this one.

Zombie Dude and Katatonia like this.
  4. Dave

Dave Pimp

Saw it with my two boys. We all thought it was 'just okay'. Good but not great. We all liked the first one better. We all pretty much had the same opinion: a little too long, too many jump scares, too much humor. No need for a super cut! Funny thing is, the first one probably had more humor. I think it was just more appropriate given it was children.

Katatonia, chancetx and Myron Breck like this.
  5. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

I agree with Dave, mostly. Especially the humor. My god, enough with the one-liners already.

I never got restless or looked at the time, which is good, but I also don't relish the thought of an Extended Cut (which I would certainly watch anyway).

Was there any significance
    to the Juice Newton song coming in when Eddie gets barfed on--it was so brief and forced that I figured I'd forgotten something from the previous movie and/or the book
    ?

6. Dave

Dave Pimp

Haha I thought the same. I was like am I watching Deadpool or It ???

Zombie Dude and Myron Breck like this.
  7. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Didn't care for the first Chapter, but still decided to give Chapter Two a shot and still feel the same but Chapter Two is definitely the messiest of the two. Even though I didn't like the first Chapter I can at least say the kids had chemistry and the dramatic bits at least held my attention, but here I didn't feel any chemistry between the adult cast in the least bit, and like Eric H. said above it felt a bit like a big budget Elm Street sequel - but no fun - and stuck in a loop of endless repetition since each character has to go through the same motions beat-by-beat. It's not the least bit scary and again the non-horror elements are better than the horror elements, but this could have easily been a good half an hour to an hour shorter and still kept the same story line. I understand King's book is a mammoth text and a story that isn't the best suited to be translated to film, and maybe a season of TV is what they should have aimed for originally with this new adaptation to handle it better, but the length just wasn't justified. When the most fun I had with the movie was spotting the couple of cameos (Xaiver Dolan, Peter Bogdonavich, Stephen King himself) that's not a good sign...

8. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

While not great, I thought Chapter 1 was alright. Saw Chapter 2 yesterday and pretty much hated it. Last film we saw in the theater was Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. Both are long films. It Chapter 2 was just 8 minutes longer than Tarantino's film, but felt about an hour longer in comparison. Too much comedy throughout. So many jump scare moments that were ineffective, weak overall in the horror department. There's a running joke concerning an adult character novelist incapable of writing a good ending to whatever he does. Some foreshadowing there. The final battle between the Losers' Club and Pennywise is especially lame and drawn out.

Bill SkarsgÄrd doesn't do much for me as Pennywise. His version of the character is so much about special effects and over the top loud outbursts, feeling one dimensional. Tim Curry in comparison brought more to the role in his unpredictable performance.

The Chinese restaurant scene really lost it once the fortune cookies came alive. Jessica Chastain with the old lady was another scene ruined by overdone effects. Didn't help that too much of this scene was spoiled in the advance trailer. Could really have done without the Paul Bunyan statue coming to life.

Too many spider references going on, one which imitates John Carpenter's The Thing. Bill Hader even blurts out: "You gotta be fucking kidding me!" If that's not enough, there is a Die Hard reference "Yippee Ki Yay, motherfucker!" and "Here's Johnny!" from The Shining. All three moments were really groan inducing.

Walking out of the theater, we heard two teenage girls behind us talking about how scary the film was. Glad it worked for someone. Waste of time and money.

MorallySound likes this.
  9. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Appreciate all your input.

2 hours and 50 minutes for a horror film is a fucking crime, I'm sorry. You wanna bring some Tarantino or Scorsese shit to the table, then ok, bring it...... IT? Go fuck yourself. I'll catch it on HBO a year from now

10. Dave

Dave Pimp

It's a massive novel. I don't know....I think the runtime could have been justified. I just don't think in this case that it is. I was concerned right away when
    the Indian ritual came up and each had to go out on their quest of sorts

11. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I'll preface by saying there are definitely some spoilers on the way, but if you've seen the original miniseries or read the book, probably nothing too major.

I caught the earliest IMAX screening yesterday after the weekend crowds had died down. I loved the first movie, but Chapter 2 is a hot mess! I'm not even sure where to begin really, this movie was so all over the place. Erick H. is correct that this felt like a 3 hour CGI-filled bad Elm Street sequel. It's very fitting that the movie is littered with posters and theater marquees for Elm Street 5: The Dream Child. It's not cohesive at all, and I couldn't tell how much of the humor was intentional or unintentional. It felt more like the latter. I'm a little in disbelief that both Chapters were from the same filmmaker.

I've never read the book, so I really only have the mini-series to compare. Right off the bat, the movie opens with a rather disturbing and lengthy gay-bashing that has nothing to do with the rest of the movie. Maybe the intention was that our divisiveness, fear, and hatred for one another is what brought Pennywise back, but it really doesn't come across at all. They should have probably stuck with the little girl intro from the miniseries, which there is a variation of here later in the movie. There's no reason for this movie to be 3 hours, and there's probably a better version hiding in here with scenes removed and rearranged.

Honestly, I think the biggest flaw of the movie is that everyone comes back to town with zero memory of what happened in the first movie, except for Mike who never left Derry. I'd imagine this is carried over from both the book and the miniseries, but it'd make for a much more interesting movie if they remembered everything. It just fills the movie with so much backpedaling, and it also gives the adults here only a small fraction of the chemistry the kids in the first movie had. There are so many childhood flashbacks, the adults are never really given an opportunity to be fleshed out. This movie also treats its audience like the first movie was released 20 years ago, not two years.

There are so many WTF moments throughout this thing, I lost count. Pretty much every CGI filled scare the movie has to offer just left me baffled. I mean, Paul Bunyan? Really? Plus, all these random demon spider things result in significantly less Pennywise here. Beverly has an extremely awkward introduction, establishing that she has an abusive husband, a scene that results in a Matrix-style fight-scene between the two? Bill's wife (played by Olivia Hussey in the original and Teeth's Jess Weixler here) takes the back-burner here to play up the love triangle between Bill, Beverly, and Ben. The miniseries is capped off by a sweet scene between Bill and his catatonic wife riding his childhood bicycle. Bill's wife never comes to Derry here, so that scene never happens, however the movie still spends time establishing the bicycle scene that never pays off (although the scene where he gets the bicycle here is easily my favorite in the movie, but no spoilers as to why).

I did really enjoy the last hour of the movie, mainly because by that point the movie had gone so far off-the-rails that they might as well go as crazy as they can possibly go. And do they ever, the climax is basically one big blockbuster spectacle extravaganza. All things considered, it ended well enough I guess?

I really don't think I can recommend this one, I'd say at least wait for HBO. I adored the first movie, but you have to lower the bar considerably here. For the kid half, the 2017 movie is superior by far. But for the adult half, I'd have to give edge to the 1990 miniseries.

12. MorallySound

Yeah, I felt this opening scene was rather tone deaf especially since the film is updated for today's times with its setting so this felt pretty harsh and a wee bit offensive, but apparently it's directly lifted from the book and about the only thing in the new movie that's adapted from the book right off the page. I can understand if they meant it to show Derry as still being a small cut-off town with a bunch of racists and homophobes populating the streets but they never really establish the town again as a character in Chapter Two at all since it seems to have absolutely no population other than the adults coming back and one or two scenes where
    kids get eaten by Pennywise.
    Huge misstep.

Myron Breck likes this.
  13. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Yes, this is one of the many problems with the book (that scene is from the novel). It's a sign of its times--the 80s, when so much of the social discourse was about gay issues and HIV.

Honestly, I re-read IT about 1.5-2 years ago for my book club, and we all actively disliked it (whereas most of us previously held it in high regard). It has so many flaws and is indeed tone-deaf, as MS points above, to many issues that we now deal with much more sensitively. It is also in need of a serious edit, as it is incredibly repetitive. Plus, there's the Beverly scene at the end of the novel, which really takes the book off a cliff. Inexcusable.

Yes, this is from the book.

14. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Well it's looking like I'm one of the only ones here that had a pretty good time with Chapter 2. I definitely need to sit through it again to help process my thoughts on it better due to its long runtime.
    There's things I'm curious to see if these supposed Director's Cuts that are ment to come out for these include. One being Bill's wife as she's got a bigger role in the book and movie but given one scene in the new film for example.

I've been listening to others thoughts on the film online and still think the film is pretty good.

Steel76 likes this.
  15. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

I thought it was a bit odd that Pennywise kills an adult when he usually just goes after kids--I read the book, but it was in the late 80s so I don't recall if he killed adults often as well as kids.

16. Erick H.

Much has been made of this films lengthy run time which made me curious: What is the LONGEST single horror film (not a film broken up into multiple parts) ever made ? I did some research but found no clear answer online. Anyone know the answer or at least have some contenders ?

17. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Yeah he kills both in the book. I think they mention he likes the taste of children better.

Myron Breck likes this.
  18. MorallySound

Philosophy of a Knife (2008) is just over 4 hours long, so that probably takes the cake. Kwaidan (1964) is 3 hours 3 mins. While not straight up horror, David Lynch's Inland Empire is 3 hours too.

Erick H. likes this.
  19. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

I just got back from the theater, and we also had a good time.

And I actually enjoyed the comedic moment in the film, like the scene with the
    doors and the cute dog

This is far better, than the mediocre part 2 of the mini series.
    Much thanks to the great cast, which does a MUCH better job, than in the series.

I think I like it almost as much as the first one. It's different, and not as scary as the first one, but I was entertained.
    Yes it's a long movie, but I was never bored.

Also, I loved the homage to
    Carpenter's The Thing
    :D

Zombie Dude likes this.
  20. Erick H.

Thanks for the info.I had seen listings for some silent films but couldn't confirm their status/running times .