The new Texas Chainsaw Massacre, really bad as some say?

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by Kevin, Jun 18, 2004.

1. hell ya!

hell ya! ~Go ahead, make my day~

I thought the remake was horrible. I'm not a huge fan of the original and i though this might be ok after hearing some positive word of mouth but it really was just bad. Everything about it, the acting, direction and even Leatherface were terrible. The only good thing was looking at Jessica Biel but even that couldn't save the movie.

2. Demon

Demon Don't Fuck With Dolly!

if success is taking everything that was great with the original and taking a steaming shit right on it then yeah it was very successful.

3. docdoom988

docdoom988 Guest

The subject of remaking a movie with as much of a following as the original TCM always brings about problems. There are fans who swear by the movie and any attempt to reimagine it is akin to shooting their family pet. Going into this movie I was a big fan of the original. Leatherface was the man. HOWEVER, and this is a big however, I was also aware that this movie would and should be it's own individual experience. I enjoyed it immensely. Leatherface was again the man. The only problem was they didn't have the time to flesh out the family. Lots of characters. Lots of potential. None of it really worked out enough. Only by watching the movie's dvd release with commentary could I have learned about the old man in the wheelchairs relation to the family, the origin of the Jedidiah and so forth.

Die-hard fans of the original really need to watch this movie with an open mind and leave their pre-established doubts at the door. Enjoy the movie for what it is. A horror movie. Let it stand on it's own merits.

or not, hey whatever.

4. stone88

stone88 Guest

I could go on for days about how much I detest this so-called "remake" to one of the greatest horror films ever made.
    Instead i'll offer this advice, if you have the original in your top 10 list then avoid this like the plaque!!

5. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

--Die-hard fans of the original really need to watch this movie with an open mind and leave their pre-established doubts at the door. Enjoy the movie for what it is. A horror movie. Let it stand on it's own merits.--

I don't write this to be flippant, I really don't. I actually tried to do as you suggest - with horrible results. Without the underpinnings of the original film, without my mind bolstering what I actually see by injecting some of the feeling of dread from the original film, the remake gets even worse. :(

6. horror addict

horror addict Member

locked in my room with tons of horror dvds
    Contrary to most people I really liked the new TCM. It wasn't as frightening as the original, but it was a million times better than the sequels. I mean I like part 2 and part 3 as fun cheesy slasher movies but the remake in my opinion is the only film in the series that even comes close to the quality of the original. I agree that the film definitely didn't need to be remade but it was, so get over it. I love the original TCM as much as the next person but I don't think any harm was done to it by remaking it. I don't see why everybody talks about remakes tarnishing the original. It may be a remake or a "re-imagining" as the studios like to say, and it can and should be compared to the film that inspired it, but in the end they are TWO DIFFERENT FILMS. In my opinion either a remake or sequel is a good movie or it isn't, whether it is as good as the original or not.

P.S. stone88, why would we want to avoid receiving a plaque? :banana:

Last edited: Jun 29, 2004
  7. steve_p

steve_p New Member

First off it wasn't a remake of any of the other films. It was a remake of the first so comparing the new movie and saying its better than part 2 or 4 is just dumb. this move suck it couldn't even wipe the ass of the original.

8. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

I'm just going to say I thought it was solid - not as good as the original, but hey, it had some really cool ideas. I own both versions.
    I definatley would have made Leatherface keep the Kemper mask for the whole rest of the film. I love that idea!

9. Roger Ebert

Roger Ebert Guest

I think they totally fucked the original chainsaw massacre..!

I think they totaly fucked up the series.. -Maybe no more sequels
    like; -THe Next generation.. -Mathew Mchonehey did a good job on
    that one. -Even though; -Kim Henkle fucked it up..! -And not continue
    the good third one.. -Why; -why; -Kim.. -What happen two the two
    survivalist in; -Part III..! -And; -the news chick from part 2.. -And
    why Michael Bay for fucking up the sequels.. -And the original one
    with a different story.. -I want a know if Hewitt is any way related
    two the sweyier clan..! -They where real fucked up and did a better
    job. -Excuse my french..! -Though; -I fine the new one looked kind of
    good.. -I do love; -Beils..! -Two cans...?

10. I don't think I followed that, but I recently saw TCM part II for the first time since I was about 12, and I have to say that is the least favorite horror disc in my collection by a LONGSHOT. Leatherface was the fucking comic relief AND love interest?! What the hell?!!? Anyone who complains about the remake from now on better damn well talk about how crappy part II was also. Yeah, good point, it wasn't a remake of part II. But that was a continuation of the series by the SAME FUCKING DIRECTOR as the original, and that counts for something. If TCM 04 had been called TCM part II instead, we would all be raving about it, that's all I'm trying to say (well maybe not all of us, but you know what I'm saying). I haven't seen the other sequels yet, but at this point, I'm not sure if I want to.

Oh, and after ranting like that, I should mention that I've watched the remake a few more times since my last post and it doesn't quite stand up to repeated viewing like the original does. I still like it a lot, but not as much as I used to.

Oh yeah, one more thing. Bill Moseley kicked ass in part II. If I ever watch it again it will be for his performance alone.

11. Morg

Morg Guest

I base each movie on its own merits, and I like the new TCM quite a bit. I think the direction is pretty solid, as is the script. They took the general story of the original and integrated some fresh new angles and ideas to avoid a complete mimic of the original, and succeded IMO. The original TCM is, and always will be one of my favorite horror movies. Let's face it, they could have done much worse on the "remake".

12. fcalderon

fcalderon Guest

This remake is a total crap ! The only reason that kept me watching it till the end was Jessica Biel and her tight jeans.

I'm a big fan of hers ! :evil:

Sincerely,
    Franco

PD: Best remake I've ever seen: "Invasion Of The Body Snatchers" (1978).

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2004
  13. Guyver99

Guyver99 Member

If the original TCM is rated 5/5 stars, the remake would be a 3/5 in my book. It's not exactly horrible, but it pales in comparison to the original. The characters from the remake were just too numerous and weren't fleshed out at all. At least in the original, you had a good idea what the relationship between the family members were. In the remake, there were fat ladies and little malnutritious kids that just didn't even need to be there.

To be honest, if you want to see a slasher movie that harkens back to the 70's, look no further than Wrong Turn. No, nothing about the story is original, but it follows the formula with precision. I enjoyed every moment of Wong Turn, whereas I thought a lot of things in the new TCM were pointless.

Then again, the new TCM isn't all that bad...no movie with Jessica Biel running around getting dirty in a white tank top and tight blue jeans is that bad. :D

14. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

i thought the remake held up pretty well scarier than most recent horror films

15. Paul0889

Paul0889 New Member

wrong turn was definately kick ass! i love the half decapitation scene

16. RickB

RickB New Member

I highly enjoyed it. Better then any sequel and I liked it just as much as the original version and way better then the Dawn of the dead remake.