The New Daughter (2009)

Discussion in 'General' started by Ash28M, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

[​IMG]

I decided to give this one a try as I heard it was Directed by the writer of Rec and I ending up enjoying it much more then I thought. It stars Kevin Costner and Ivana Baquero (Pan's Labyrinth). I thought the characters were nice and fleshed out and the story got progressively creepier as it went along. The plot is pretty been there done that. A father moves into a isolated country home with his two kids after a divorce and finds his daughter acting progressively strange the more she visits the mound behind her house. It's not perfect but it does a very good job in it's execution. I say give it a shot.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  2. Chunkblower

Chunkblower Member

I gave it a whirl after an enthusiastic blurb in Rue Morgue. I found it pretty meh. Lacked a lot of technical polish that would have given it a bit more oomph - the creature stirring on the roof was a total missed opportunity. Not quite a recommend from me, but no warning against watching it, either.

3. bigwes15

bigwes15 Active Member

I liked this one a lot more than I thought I would. It was solidly acted all around, had some solid suspense and a surprising ending that I would never have predicted. Unfortunately, not many people will give this a shot because of Costner, a terrible cover, and a PG-13 rating....all of which almost kept me away from a rental. Give it a shot- I doubt you will be disappointed!

4. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Just watched this and I thought it was pretty good for what it was. Total blind rent and wasn't expecting it to be the type of movie it was. If there's nothing else to watch one night definitely give a whirl. It won't win ant awards, bujt it should keep most horror buffs entertained.

5. RJ Fielder

RJ Fielder Member

This was a blind watch for me and I ended up enjoying it pretty well. The cover and description on the back made it seem like it was just another ghost possession flick, but I was pleasantly surprised by the Lovecraftian turn it took. This is definitely one that is best watched without any foreknowledge of what to expect.