The Lodge (2020)

Discussion in 'General' started by Colin, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

2. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Hammer. Looks interesting .

3. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I swear someone mentioned this movie somewhere. I remember parts of that trailer. And I think it's already on my list. But more winter horror movies is always good.

4. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Trailer looks interesting, but I'll keep my expectations in check.
    Most of these movies, featuring reviews in the trailer, telling us it's "Scary as hell", "Mind bending", "Shocking", "Original" bla bla bla, mostly end up being a big disappointment.
    But I'll still check it out.

5. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

So true. I don't think I've ever seen a poster or trailer with this movie sucks, not scary at all, or you can see the twist from a mile away tag lines.

6. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

This was released on HULU earlier this week, same day as the disc release. I had already ordered the blu-ray though, which is completely barebones save for the trailer. I ended up digging it, so I don't regret my purchase.

This definitely won't be for everyone though. It reminded me a lot of Hereditary, so if you enjoyed that it's probably a safe bet. It's a slow burn, but it's both winter and Christmas horror. I was completely drawn in by the first half, but something happens around the half-way mark that led me to believe this was headed for a boring and predictable twist ending that has been done to death. Fortunately, the movie flips again and heads in a different direction, one that got me completely back on board. Great cast, great atmosphere, great cinematography, and a really twisted final act.

Love it or hate it, I think it's worth seeing. And if you have HULU, it's already at your fingertips.

Myron Breck likes this.
  7. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

The Blu is also available via Netflix for those who still get discs delivered by mail. Like me. I'll be watching it this weekend.

Myron Breck likes this.
  8. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

After a promising start (I'm fascinated by doomsday cults and movies about them) it became quite the slog and I lost interest. One of those movies where you think it must be almost over, then you look at the running time and realize you're only an hour in. And it's not a case of not being into slow movies; the night before I watched Roma, where nearly nothing happens for a full 2 hours and I was riveted to the screen.

The Lodge is already in the mail heading back to the nearest Netflix location

studio1 and Colin like this.
  9. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

I also caught this over the weekend.

There were some beautiful moments but it didn't blow me away. I'm glad I caught it, it was a decent watch on a miserable and rainy afternoon....but I'm also glad I didn't buy it.

Really annoyed by the older child. He was a fucking pussy. Especially towards the end.

Cool ending though.

Colin likes this.
  10. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I should also mention, the Blu Ray was so dark and murky, it was nearly impossible to make out anything in the indoor scenes

Last edited: May 18, 2020
  11. CPT HOOK

Weird, I had no issues.

12. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

"Goodnight, Mommy" + "Martha Marcy May Marlene" - "Hereditary" = "The Lodge"

That's the easiest way to describe this film, but I'll dive a little deeper.

I was very much anticipating this film considering I loved Fiala & Franz previous film "Goodnight, Mommy" and I can honestly say I'm beyond disappointed. It's frustrating because there are so many elements of this film I like. The direction and cinematography are absolutely fantastic, complementing the bleak atmosphere perfectly. The score from Danny Bensi and Saunders Jurriaans is fantastic as well, often subdued and dreadful at the most appropriate moments. And I want to give a big shout out to Riley Keough who does a fantastic job as an emotionally broken abuse victim, you really feel her pain and are concerned about her well being.

But even with all these things I like I was not a fan of the end product because the storytelling is so piss poor that it drags the quality of the film down dramatically. The film starts out strong with a huge shocker in the opening few minutes
    After finding out her husband wants a divorce so he can marry his mistress, Alicia Sliverstone's character commits suicide out of grief.
    . That was fantastic and I was eager to see where this was headed. But as the story unfolded I quickly lost interest. The second act of the film is absolutely painful to sit through as a whole lot of nothing happens, featuring one of the more pointless scenes in a film where Riley Keough and the kids watch John Carpenter's "The Thing" only to switch over to Michael Keaton's "Jack Frost" movie. Even worst is how incompetent and cold Richard Armitage's character is, and that is where most of the failings of this story stems from. Armitage seems gleefully aware Keough is unstable and yet leaves her alone with his children so he can "Go into the city for a few days" so the story can happen. He also shows little remorse for what he did to his previous wife, and is emotionally unavailable to his own children. Also, his pattern of dating/marrying emotional unstable and dependent women is a big indictment on his part, it makes him come across as a total sociopath. The finale is quite interesting, but I thought it rang hollow, not so much because it leaves a lot to your imagination, but nothing about the grim and disturbing ending felt earned, unlike other contemporary horror films that have treated this type of subject matter better (i.e. "Eyes of my Mother," "Midsommar," "The VVitch," ect.).

On a side note, I'm surprised Universal Studios would back and give a major release to a film like this considering how bleak and depressing it is. But at least they are willing to take risks.

13. CPT HOOK

For me, this wasn't a flaw, it was a major part of the story. So much so I was even starting to suspect that
    Armitage was also playing the role of Grace's cult leader father whom we only see in fleeting glimpses, although it turns out that role was actually played by Keough's real life father Danny Keough.

14. m@ggot

m@ggot Active Member

Based on just the last few posts in this thread, I can't wait to see this. I totally focused on the part of Colin's post regarding the father character and then Cpt Hook quoted and commented on the same passage. As soon as I watch and send back "Underwater," "The Lodge" is next in line in my Netflix physical media queue...

15. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

It's got a lot going for it..... There's one long shot towards the end that I was in love with.

The Lodge really is pretty fucking dreadful lol