The Last Matinee (2020) - Movie Theatre Slasher from Uruguay

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by MorallySound, Sep 21, 2021.

1. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

[​IMG]

Synopsis: On a stormy night in Montevideo in 1993, an engineering student named Ana takes over the duties of her father, a projectionist at a declining movie theatre, due to his ill health. Unbeknownst to her, the audience watching the film that she is running are being murdered by a black-gloved killer.

Trailer:

I recently caught this new slasher from Uruguay at a local one-off theatrical showing and I really, really dug it! It's quite gruesome and does a great job at balancing a pretty bleak and serious tone with a wee bit of camp sprinkled in. It's a taught 90 mins and does the absolute best with it's premise, characters, and minimal location. This is probably the best horror film to take place in a movie theatre since Demons and Anguish, and one of the best I've seen this year so far so I highly recommend it! It's currently available to rent on some VOD platforms like iTunes.

2. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I rented it a few weeks back and thought it was just okay. It is very much slasher movie paint-by-numbers. The location is fun, but the characters are bland and the kills are just okay. Needed more cat-and-mouse. If I recall, you can spot posters for movies like Opera and Anguish in the theater.

The blu-ray goes up for order on October 1st via the Vinegar Syndrome website.

[​IMG]

In addition to Maximiliano Contenti‘s The Last Matinee, the release also includes:
    • FRANKENSTEIN: DAY OF THE BEAST (the film playing in the movie theater in The Last Matinee)
    • MUNECO VIVIENTE V (Maxi’s first feature, a black comedy horror take on Puppet Master)
    Other special features include:
    • Behind The Scenes (11 min)
    • VFX Backstage with VFX Director Chistian Gruaz (3 min)
    • Urban Legend: The Matinee Massacre, Presented by Guillermo Lockhart (3 Parts, total time 14 min)
    • Short: Hobby Metal (10 min)
    • “Hobby Metal” Shortfilm behind the scenes (9 min)
    • Short: Movie Day Urguay(1 min)
    • Short: Fruit Stairs (1 min)
    • Short: Thank You For Your Visit (1 min)
    • Short: Popping Eyes (3 min)
    • Short: The Cookie(4 min)
    • Short: Maxi Contenti’s FEAR (19 min)
    • Espada Music Video by Phoro (original theme made for The Last Matinee)
    • Storyboard Kills – A Gallery, Storyboard Artist: Pablo Praino

3. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Nice!
    Found it online, with the alternate title "Red Screening".

hots4 likes this.
  4. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

I heard about this one a while ago. I had no idea it's a Latin American film.

5. sinister

sinister Active Member

^^ "Terrified" is another South American movie worth checking out. Has been out for a few years but just released on Blu-ray in the UK last week.

Natas, hots4 and Steel76 like this.
  6. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Yeah really enjoyed thus, if you have shudder you can find it there or on disc.

I brought the US disc as I never expected it to come out in UK, so was surprised and happy to see it last week, they appear to be releasing a lot of shudder movies in UK which is great news.

7. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Terrified is probably the creepiest flick I've seen in years. Specifically the boy in the kitchen sequence. Eerie as fuck.

hots4 likes this.