The Kingdom

Discussion in 'General' started by Werner Von Wallenrod, Oct 16, 2002.

1. I'm back.
    OK, how come the description for the Canadian discs says the Kingdom was "Filmed for Danish television in four separate hour-long episodes--'The Unheavenly Host,' 'Thy Kingdom Come,' 'The Living Dead,' and 'A Foreign Body'," while my UK disc has five ('The Unheavenly Host,' 'Kingdom Come,' 'Hark & Ye Shall Hear,' 'The Living Dead,' and 'A Foreign Body')? I got that from videoflicks.com. Are they just wrong, I hope, or is that version missing something, too? :eek2:

2. Bish

Bish Guest

As far as I’m aware the series was shown as 4 episodes running for just over an hour each. Later this was changed to a 5 episode structure running approx 50 min each.. I always thought that the Canadian disc was the 5 episode version. Can anyone who owns this confirm it?

I’ve sold my Forel disc and I can’t remember if it had 4 or 5 episodes.

3. Fart Lighter

Fart Lighter Guest

where can I get the canadian one then? IS there supposed to be a monlogue at the start of each episde or something like that?

4. Bish

Bish Guest

The monologues appeared at the end of each episode. Try Canadian suppliers like DVDBoxoffice, Amazon.ca & DV-Depot.

5. I just got it - yes, the Canadian disc has all five episodes (videoflicks was just stupid). And, yes, for the record, it features that opening meeting scene (and all of Lars' talks, translated!). ;)

6. Bish

Bish Guest

So just to clarify the UK version actually has a scene missing and is not cut by just 2 seconds as previously thought.

7. Yep - It has more than just that one scene missing, too. I just picked that one scene 'cause it was just easy to find (right near the beginning) to reference. ...And it's missing three of the Trier monologues.
    Canadian = the best disc.

8. The new Kingdom boxset (PAL, R2) kicks all the other DVD releases collective asses.
    It features both the Kingdom I and II, is uncut (unlike the UK disc), includes all of the speeches, with good subtitles (unlike the HK disc) and is loaded with extras (audio commentary by Trier, Niels Versel, and Molly Stensgard, a 25 minute documentary on the series, a 40 minute doc on Trier, a collection of "outrageous newspaper commercials" directed by Trier, a really weird music video for the theme song starring Trier, bloopers for tha music video, and a collection of trailers for Trier's films - all with English subs!). ...The Kingdom 1 is the four episode version, though; not the five.

9. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Sorry for the late reply to this thread. :evil: I was searching to see if there was ever a thread about (Riget) The Kindom.

I have the boxset also, it kills all the other versions...and I've had all the other versions at one point or another. The VHS set at first, then the Hong Kong DVD's of 1 & 2, and then I bought the Canadian 2DVD set of part 1...and now I am the proud owner of the 4 disc boxset. It is indeed fully uncut and the subtitles are much better and removeable, not to mention being available in 7 or 8 languages! I was also very surprised that all the bonus material from the featurettes to the commentary tracks all have optional English subtitles! I didn't know this before I raked out $80 for it, I was pleasantly surprised having accepted that the bonus material would probably be in Danish/Swedish.

Xploited still has it in stock at a nice price if anyone is interested in getting the boxset. It is strictly limited, so I would recommend buying now or forever hold your peace. :fire: http://www.xploitedcinema.com/dvds/dvds.asp?title=1249

10. MaxRenn

MaxRenn Active Member

11. It was originally limited to just a certain Danish supermarket chain, but it has now been re-released through normal retail channels in Denmark. I originally thought that the re-release wasn't going to happen until January, but at least one Danish e-tailer has it in stock. Anyway, even after the re-release, Xploited is probably the cheapest and easiest way to import the set into the US.

FWIW, I had a very strange dream last night about getting the Danish set in the mail and being entranced by the extras. Very odd, but hopefully a positive sign for when I finally do really get it. ;)

DJ

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2003
  12. A Stephen King remake of the Kingdom, huh? Let me just go take a shower now to wash away that image.

I doubt a domestic R1 release would be up to the new, special edition anyway.

13. Funny that people didn't know about the King remake, it's been common news for over a year now. 15 hour miniseries set to air in February...

ANDREW McCARTHY, DIANE LADD AND BRUCE DAVISON ARE FIRST TO JOIN THE CAST OF THE STEPHEN KING’S NEW DRAMA SERIES, “STEPHEN KING’S KINGDOM HOSPITAL”

Two-Hour Premiere Airs Thursday, February 5, 2004, on ABC

Andrew McCarthy (“Monk,” “Pretty in Pink”), Academy Award nominee Diane Ladd (“Primary Colors,” “Rambling Rose”) and Academy Award nominee Bruce Davison (“X-Men II,” “Longtime Companion”) have been cast in the haunting new fifteen-hour drama series, “Stephen King’s Kingdom Hospital,” created directly for television by the award-winning, best-selling master of horror. The two-hour series premiere airs THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 5, 2004, (9:00-11:00 p.m., ET/PT), with subsequent one-hour episodes airing Thursday, 9:00-10:00 p.m., ET, on The ABC Television Network.

McCarthy will play the role of Dr. Hook, a brilliant surgeon who resides in the hospital’s basement and has a penchant for collecting medical equipment. Ladd will play Mrs. Druse, a psychic hypochondriac whose strong connection to the spirit world repeatedly draws her to the emergency room of Kingdom Hospital. Davison will play Dr. Stegman (“Steg”), whose absent bedside manner and arrogance are paralleled only by his ineptitude as a physician.

Using Lars Von Trier’s Danish miniseries “Riget” (a.k.a. “The Kingdom”) as a point of inspiration, Stephen King gives this series a unique, darkly comedic and menacing American touch. King himself describes it as “ER” crossed with “The Shining.”

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2003
  14. Katatonia

I knew that King was a big fan of Part 1 of The Kingdom, after renting it no less! I've heard rumors that he wanted to make a US version for a long time. I doubt it will be as good as Von Trier's original, but King may surprise us.

Also, since Part 3 was never made, several key actors are now dead anyways. Hopefully the entire story will at least be continued to a 3rd act in the US version. I look forward to that if it is so. I think the US miniseries is supposed to be 21 hours long or something like that?

15. MaxRenn

MaxRenn Active Member

I wonder how that they are going to handle Udo Kier's
    birth scene
    Something tells me that that image is not ready for primetime ;)

16. Katatonia

If anybody is interested in a great deal...

Amazon has The Kingdom 1 & 2 DVD set for $11.49. I'm pretty sure it's only a Cyber Monday "boxset" deal (it's listed in that section at least) – and doubt the price will stay that low for too long.

I already have the R2 (PAL) 4-DVD Set, but I went ahead and ordered this, since I friggin' love the series so much.