The Kingdom

Discussion in 'General' started by Werner Von Wallenrod, Oct 16, 2002.

1. So, I'm not crazy, am I?
    The PAL DVD is cut? Missing stuff like the opening meeting, at the beginning of the film, that Stig is late to?
    That sucks. :cry:

2. joltaddict

joltaddict New Member

My PAL The Kingdom has that scene. :eek2:

3. Wait. Your PAL DVD of The Kingdom has the scene where Helmer requests the CT Scan because Stig isn't there, or your DVD just jumps into the meeting with Stig arriving late to the meeting, and everybody's already getting up and leaving?
    ...Is your disc the ICA Projects one?

4. David666

David666 Guest

There is a Canadian disc of this film that I would love to get. Does anyone have any info on it? Thanks

5. joltaddict

joltaddict New Member

Yes.

Maybe the DVD is borked, sounds like its jumping ahead a chapter.

6. OK. I've checked it out, and the DVD is definitely not skipping. The only scene of the first morning meeting has the young doctor asking Helmer about the sleep lab, and then Stig walks in and the meeting is already over.
    I used to have the NTSC DVD (I upgraded), and I could SWEAR there was a scene earlier on, at that same meeting, where everyone decided not to wait for Stig to begin the meeting because he was late, and Helmer requested the CT Scan he knew Stig wouldn't've allowed... Are you sure that's in your PAL version, Jolt? Could there be two versions of this DVD or something? Can anyone verify that this scene exists in the NTSC version (and not some crazy hallucination on my part)?
    ...There are a few other scenes in this DVD which seemed trimmed for pacing, too.
    :nervous: <---me going insane

7. joltaddict

joltaddict New Member

Its definitely in mine. I bought this blind and the only version I have seen is this disc. I absolutely saw that scene you describe. I have the Zentropa R0 PAL. It has a logo for "Forel" on the cover and the DVD itself. All the other branding seems to be in Japanese though, not sure if thats enough info. I can take a pic of the cover if you want.

8. Ummm yeah, could you scan it? I thought there was only one NTSC disc, and one PAL disc.

9. joltaddict

joltaddict New Member

[​IMG]
    My scanner sucks, my digicam is better. Is this a different version?

10. joltaddict

joltaddict New Member

Holy crap youre right. :eek:

I dont use Poker for anything but PAL DVDs I cant find anywhere else. SORRY! I think I may be coming down with a bad case of retarded.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2002
  11. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

I've heard a lot about this movie and read some about it in Fangoria. I'd like to check out the NTSC version sometime. Hopefully its as good as I've heard.

12. The Kingdom rocks, dude.
    Lars Von Trier does horror.

13. Fart Lighter

Fart Lighter Guest

okay, so where do I get the uncut one? The UK disk is the cut version then? is it the 3 disker from Poker to get? Isn't that availabe from generral r1 retailers?

14. Yeah, the 3-disc is the one to get, but the (cut) r2 does still have some advantages: a substantially better picture, accurate subtitles (the NTSC discs have crazy typos and poor translations in almost every line), subtitled speeches (in the closing credits of each episode, Lars Von Trier talks to the audience... the NTSC cuts all the closing credits out, except the final one on each disc, and doesn't even subtitle those, so you're like, "what's that guy saying at the end?!?"), and a roughly hour-long documentary on Lars Von Trier's work up to and including The Kingdom 2.
    Basically, the PAL disc blows the NTSC disc out of the water - except it's cut (which is a very big exception, obviously). So, each make your own decision (or get both versions, like I'm doin').

15. McBride_01

McBride_01 Guest

The Kingdom is AWESOME! A friend taped me the first one from his DVD (the opening meeting was intact) and I got the second one on IFC. They show both on IFC from time to time. Check them out!

I've also got a copy of Lars von Trier's The Element of Crime taped from IFC but haven't watched it yet. Any comments on this one?

16. Yowie

Yowie Hologram

Not a big von Trier fan, but "Element Of Crime" is (together with "Zentropa") my favorite of his, very atmospheric with its yellow look. As most von Trier movies it's a little weird, more than a little weird actually, and not to everyone's taste. Actor Michael Elphick, who plays the detective, died recently.

17. Bish

Bish Guest

The choices for The Kingdom are.....

Taiwan R0 (NTSC) as pictured earlier (Forel)
    All the Von Trier monologues are on the disc but none of them are subtitled. This is uncut.

UK R2 (PAL)
    This only has two of the monologues but they are subtitled. Sadly this disc is cut, only by about 5 seconds for animal cruelty (rat shooting scene). To make up for this the disc does contain an hour long documentary 'Tranceformer - A Portrait of Lars von Trier' Directed by Stig Bjorkman. This is also available on the Criterion disc of "The Element of Crime”

Canadian R1 (NTSC)
    If you’re not bothered about the documentary then this is currently the best version. It’s uncut and is complete with all the monologues fully subtitled

Werner Von Wallenrod: what country is your PAL disc from?

18. Mine's the UK R2 PAL disc (you can get from Blackstar, etc). It's definitely missing more than 5 seconds (see my previous posts). Where can you get this Canadian disc? This is the first I've heard of it... And is there a Canadian version of Kingdom 2, as well?

19. Never mind. I found the Canadian version easy enough. Thanks for the heads up; it shall be mine. :glasses: