The Killer Must Strike Again by Luigi Cozzi

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Crystal Plumage, Nov 9, 2004.

1. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

2. Jimbo

Jimbo The Bloodstained Shadow

I am looking forward to this one.Mondo Macabro is a great little company!!

3. Morg

Morg Guest

Great. I'm a fan of Contamination, look forward to this.

4. NickyDoyle

NickyDoyle Guest

Great review, but I think MM should have used the title The Dark is Death's Friend. But I'm nit picking. :)

5. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

This movie sounds very interesting... adding to my wish list. :)

6. Crystal Plumage

Last edited: Nov 28, 2004
  7. Jason25

Jason25 Moderator

Cozzi gets bashed fairly often but his films are usually pretty good.

I can't wait to get this and continue to purchase every title released by Mondo Macabro.

8. Luna

Luna Guest

Damn you, Netflix, for not carrying this one. They only have Contamination. :cry:

9. Crystal Plumage

10. John Gargo

John Gargo Guest

That's a great review...

Anyway, I plan on buying all of Mondo Macabro's discs eventually. I got a copy of their release of ALUCARDA and it's one of the best discs I own.

11. Crystal Plumage

12. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

Mondo have some great titles, but it always takes me a while to get them since they tend to be more pricey than other titles. I'd get this though, I've not seen much Cozzi, but he's no better or worse than many Italian Directors we all know and love, imo.

13. Crystal Plumage

Anyone seen it yet?
    Thoughts??

14. R. I. P.

R. I. P. Member

I've also ordered this obscure title and am thrilled to add it to my ever growing Giallo collection. All reviews I've read certainly heighten my enthusiasm and I must also confess I'm a belated fan of Cristina Galbo whom I consider to be one of the most beautiful women of the Giallo genre.

Mondo Macabro is indeed a superb company and their work on the recently released "Mill Of The Stone Women" was nothing short of miraculous! ;)

15. Jimbo

Jimbo The Bloodstained Shadow

I just watched this last night,The disk sports a stunning image and the movie itself was top notch.Great Giallo in the vein of Dario Argento.

16. Luna

Luna Guest

By the way, Netflix does indeed carry it now. It's rather high in my queue. :D

17. MartinD1

MartinD1 Guest

I bought this movie last week, and I had never heard about it until I read the reviews posted in several horror websites.
    I have Alucarda and Blood of the Virgins from Mondo Macabro and I knew that if I hated the movie, at least the extras would be enjoyable.
    I watched the movie last Saturday and really enjoyed it after all. Then I watched the extras and they're SUPERB. Since I'm a huge fan of Dario Argento's work, I knew I would enjoy listening to Cozzi, because of his involvement in Four Flies...
    Anyway, it's a pretty good Giallo, and at first you think it's a remake of Dial M for Murder, until it's obvious things start to happen very differently. ;-)
    I can add that althought the movie is framed at 2.35:1, Cozzi is not Argento, so his compositions aren't at all like Dario's.
    I suppose that if you enjoy Hitchcock thrillers, Bava, Argento and Fulci, you're sure going to enjoy this "little" movie.

18. Crystal Plumage

Just placed my order today,looking forward to this one!
    Heard only good things about it (very rare for a Cozzi flick I heard)

19. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

I watched my copy last night, so what the hell, here are a few thoughts that I posted elsewhere right after watching.

Well, this one definitely didn't disappoint. I do have to say that it reminded me more of Hitchcock's classic suspensers more than any Argento film. The film's rather subdued approach works perfectly, and the score compliments the proceedings quite well.

As usual in the giallo subgenre, virtually none of the characters are at all innocent. The protagonists steal a car, $150, and lie constantly. I also thought it was amusing how Luca is romancing this girl, only to help another girl on the side of a road and then fuck her in the stolen car. Haha, get any wherever you can I guess.

The killer himself is actually a pretty creepy fellow, but he definitely has a lot of hell in this movie. Things just never seem to go right for him. The guy blackmailing him, Mr. Mainardi, is convincingly suave. He also has some really weird sideburns. These two make for a fine pair of villains.

Cozzi's direction is great, and there's only a few small doses of the cheese that would dominate many of his later films. As usual with Eurohorror in general, there are some vivid colors, and Cozzi employs some wonderful camera tricks that he surely picked up from Argento. I also liked how he had the two very different sex scenes playing out seamlessly at the same time.

Overall, this is a fine giallo, any fan of the subgenre should be pleased. If I have any complaint, its that the climax feels a tad anti-climatic. Not a big deal at all though, and this film gets thumbs up from me.

20. ScarredGod

ScarredGod Guest

i got this from netflix the other day. the DVD itself is pretty excellent, nice video quality, interviews and extras. ive never seen a Mondo Macabro DVD before i wouldnt hesitate picking one up now.

the movie was a pretty big letdown though, well some of it. the premise and the set up was very well done, and the killer was definitely very creepy. but after the car is stolen, the next half hour is laughably bad, well apart from the nudity, and the police stuff is rather lame. it picks up again when the killer catches up to the couple and the ending is OK. but overall, i would give it about a C-