The Intruder (1975) Chris Robinson proto-slasher coming from Garagehouse

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by satans-sadists, Jul 4, 2017.

1. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Unreleased and lost for more than 40 years, now appearing on video for the first time anywhere!

Mickey (THE MANIPULATOR) Rooney, Yvonne (THE MUNSTERS) De Carlo, Ted (THE ADDAMS FAMILY) Cassidy and Chris (STANLEY) Robinson (who also wrote, produced and directed) star in a story of greed, murder and irrational madness. The lust for gold brings eleven visitors to a remote island retreat, but an unseen, seemingly unstoppable evil follows to stalk them one by one. The bodies don’t stop dropping until the final shattering conclusion. Who – or what – is the intruder? One thing is for certain: it will not stop until it kills them all.

Pre-dating the slasher movie craze that would become popular several years later, THE INTRUDER is a bloody Agatha Christie-style horror thriller with a body count that rivals FRIDAY THE 13TH and BAY OF BLOOD, with creepy photography by Jack (DERANGED, DEATHDREAM) McGowan.

Garagehouse Pictures is pleased to introduce Chris Robinson’s never-before-released 1975 proto-slasher on Blu-ray, in a painstakingly restored High Definition transfer from the only 35mm film print in existence!

[​IMG]

2. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

I've been wanting to see this ever since it got announced a handful of months back. Unseen slashers make the hunt fresh again.

satans-sadists likes this.
  3. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Just to clarify, maybe you guys can save me the retail research, but this and all Garagehouse Pictures blu-rays (The Dismembered, The Satanist, etc) are only available for sale through Amazon and Diabolik?

4. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

That's my understanding.

CPT HOOK likes this.
  5. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Looks like Intruder might only be available from Diabolik, at least judging by this Facebook post from the Garagehouse page:

6. CPT HOOK

Cool, just wanted to make sure. Diabolik wouldn't be my first choice of retailer, but they have some Code Red exclusives coming up, so I'll probably add The Intruder to my order.

7. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

The Intruder is now shipping from Diabolik if you previously placed a pre-order.

Since they are on vacation right now, normal orders for it probably won't ship until August 9th or after. It is now up on Amazon also, but who knows when they'll actually get it in stock.

zbinks likes this.
  8. CPT HOOK

Awesome, I had pre-ordered mine with Butcher Baker.

So excited to see this!!!

9. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

http://www.hillcountrynews.com/stor...chris-robinsons-the-intruder-resurfaces,75478

CPT HOOK likes this.
  10. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
    Katatonia likes this.
  11. CPT HOOK

This is a neat little riff on the Agatha Christie ...And Then There Were None formula, but it's non-essential. Slasher / exploitation fans shouldn't get their hopes up, the kills are mostly offscreen with just the bodies popping up later on. I'm glad to have supported Garagehouse Pictures, it's an interesting find and I'm excited to see what else they dug up.

12. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

I'm really into a wide range of proto-slashers, from Black Lace and Alice, Sweet Alice to Rituals, The Toolbox Murders, and Savage Weekend. But... as much as I'd like to support GP, I'm just not quite sold on this movie. Still, like you, I'm looking forward to seeing what they announce in the future.

13. zbinks

I think the backstory about finding the film is probably more interesting than the film itself, but all things considered I thought the film was actually pretty good.

14. Katatonia

I really enjoyed it...even though it's admittedly just a Ten Little Indians remake at heart. There were certainly some nice surprises in the plot to keep it unique too.

For $25,000 and some favors, it's a professional looking film. Much of the cast being "Nonactors" was surprising also, since they did pretty solid jobs.

The A/V quality of the Blu-ray is also astoundingly good. It sounds like the film reels were stored in terrible conditions for decades, and were quite faded and damaged as a result. But you can hardly tell any of that now. If it really did take 6+ months of restoration as the liner notes state, they did a hell of a great job with it.

It'll be interesting to see what other titles Garagehouse releases from the Mojave stash they rescued.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
    baggio and zbinks like this.
  15. CPT HOOK

The liner notes were probably my favorite part of this release. Love the passion these people have for this stuff. Wish there was more about that in the extra features. I'd love to hear more about the discovery and restoration (as Kat mentioned, the transfer is outstanding considering what was mentioned in the notes). The interview with the director is nice, but he barely mentions The Intruder, it's almost a footnote at the tail end of the interview.

Katatonia likes this.
  16. Katatonia

...and nothing at all is mentioned in the director's audio commentary regarding how the film was lost/rediscovered/restored either. There's definitely some interesting stuff in the commentary, but it loses steam later on in it. I was surprised that he didn't go into those details at some point during it.

17. zbinks

They posted a before and after restoration video on YouTube. It's unbelievalbe what they were able to accomplish.

russweiss, Katatonia and Steel76 like this.
  18. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Amazing results!
    I'm impressed by the color correction, since almost all the colors had faded away.

Katatonia likes this.
  19. Katatonia

Yeah no kidding, and you don't even really think "WOW! This is a restoration, and looks like it" while watching the movie. It just looks very natural. If I wouldn't have known it was a restoration, I probably wouldn't have even guessed much had been done to it and it just came from a good print that was well stored over the years.

satans-sadists and Steel76 like this.
  20. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost