The House Of The Devil (2009)

Discussion in 'General' started by Hellbilly, Jul 26, 2009.

1. bloodthrill

bloodthrill New Member

I was surprised to see the Piano/" Heart And Soul" scene back in,as I had just read about West's displeasure with the distributors having insisted on trimming it.

Having Donahue's character don Mr. Ulman's Cokebottle glasses and acknowledge the family goldfish didn't do a great deal for the picture,but it wasn't an unwelcome inclusion,either.

****************SPOILER ALERT****************************

Upon further examination,I liked that the Ulmans weren't all-powerful,superhuman killing machines,but I thought that Vivian kind of bitched out, with the one knife thrust to the back taking her out. There could've been a bit of Mrs. Voorhees -style, rolling- around -on-the-floor insanity before the big hit.She was evil enough to sustain a bit longer.

2. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Got my DVD/VHS combo in the mail today. Watched the VHS on a VCR with tracking issues and it couldn't have been better! I absolutely loved it! Completely nailed the time period and genre, and the performances were excellent. The pacing worked perfectly and kept the suspense tight. An absolutely great horror film.

Oh, and I stumbled across this alternate version of the poster which I think is pretty awesome:
    [​IMG]

3. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Looks like it was inspired by the Deadly Friend (1986) poster. Looks great though.

4. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Does anybody know the name of the font that's used on that poster? Specifically the "Talk on the phone. Finish your homework. Watch TV. Die." part.

5. David Levine

David Levine New Member

Its "Serif Gothic".

6. horrorlover

horrorlover Active Member

I got the blu ray yesterday and watched it, and I thought this movie was pretty great. Can't wait to listen to the commentary tonight on it. We need more satanic movies!

7. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Sweet thanks!

8. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

9. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

10. Iron Jaiden

Iron Jaiden New Member

So out of all the "alternate" posters the only one that's actually been produced is the second in on the top row. The Silent Giants did that one as a limited edition screensprint for the Alamo Drafthouse showing in Austin, TX. It was available for a short while and sold out from Mondotees (I snagged one).
    They have a couple left on their site so if you guys are interested in snagging a rad collectible print you should jump on it.

11. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

OK, count me in as one who liked this movie a lot.

I had a chance to see this back in October, on HDNet. I (stupidly) chose not to record it, because it was during my film festival where I was essentially busy every night for two weeks. So I only recorded important stuff, like my regular TV viewing and football games. I didn't want to risk filling up the DVR with (what I thought would be) a tepid straight-to-video horror film. D'oh!

First of all, those of you complaining about how slow it is, god, you remind me of Bart and Lisa when they were reading Poe's The Raven.
    Lisa: "Darkness there and nothing more".
    Bart: "You know what would have been scarier than nothing? ANYTHING!"
    Lisa: "Bart, he's establishing mood"

Yes, the movie is simplistic, but it really works. , I grew up in houses like this. When I'd watch a late night horror movie, then have to turn off all the lights and go up to my bedroom, it was a terrifying ordeal. And this movie really re-creates that. It's not like the house is particularly scary in itself (like a typical haunted house movie), it's just the feeling of being alone, and in the middle of nowhere (I grew up in rural areas). The setup and buildup were classic.

It's not perfect. I was left wanting a little more, and the "stinger" was predictible and cliched. But it's yet another example of good horror that gets buried, while shitty remakes get wide release.

12. Iron Jaiden

Iron Jaiden New Member

Yeah but it's finding legs on video right now. I run a video department at a bookstore and we can't keep this one in stock (admittedly I'm promoting the shit out of the thing). It's still in the top 100 selling horror DVDs over at Amazon. Couldn't have cost more than a couple week's allowance to make so I'm sure Ti and crew are very happy with how this landed.
    Sequel most certainly on the way :)

13. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

On the one hand I agree, but on the other I don't know... I don't think the gripers are completely wrong, either. I liked the movie quite a bit, and loved that it had ample amounts of character development before anything happens, but I still feel like it wouldn't have hurt the film to have something happen at around the 50-60 minute mark.

14. Bad_Ronald_1983

Bad_Ronald_1983 New Member

Just watched this movie again. Awesome! I picked this up on VHS, and it was even more enjoyable than the first viewing, this was indeed a movie meant for VHS!

-MATT-

15. Conal Cochran

Conal Cochran New Member

Hi,

Does somebody knows where to buy the poster?

Thanks

16. MorallySound

17. Horrorphilly

Horrorphilly Active Member

18. MorallySound

Other than what gets sent to the theatres through the actual distributors, who knows... That was also the only link I could find that was at least full size. Everything else was an 11 x 17 reproduction.

19. Horrorphilly

Horrorphilly Active Member

Thanks man.

sean

20. Conal Cochran

Conal Cochran New Member