The House Of The Devil (2009)

Discussion in 'General' started by Hellbilly, Jul 26, 2009.

1. Cydeous

Cydeous Axxon N

No offence but that just sucks :) That was one of my all time pet peeves and I never want to relive that frustration. Besides, my TV is 16:9 so it just doesn't make sense anymore.

I don't know anything about this movie, by the way. I'll have to rent it.

2. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Same here. It's cool that they're releasing it on VHS in a vintage style, but it really just doesn't interest me. Now, if it was the soundtrack being offered on Vinyl... :evil:

3. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I came extremely close to ordering this on amazon a few days ago late at night when I was drunk on my birthday, but in the end I just couldn't do it. I had enough in my shopping cart already with the first volumes of the Creepy and Eerie Archives and Grounded For Life Season 4. My total with those three things were already up to $90, I really didn't want to go over $100. Cool idea though.

4. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

interesting i asked my buddy today at bestbuy if they are getting house of the devil dvd and blu-ray they are getting just 2 copies of both

but on the dvd it was listed as video/dvd disc when i look up movies it just says dvd disc or blu-ray since this said video/dvd disc i wonder if bestbuy is getting the dvd/vhs combo for 14.99 i thought it was an online exclusive for amazon i really doubt bestbuy will have it as it probably is just the dvd but very curious

5. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

6. Katatonia

7. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I love the look of the film and the reviews sound promising. I'm pretty enticed so far!

8. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

I rewatched it last week and liked it alot more. Love the slow build and the final 15 minutes.

But the ending still doesn't work for me. It's not terrible but I just can't put my finger on why I don't like it as much as I should.

I'll pick up the DVD when it's cheap.

9. Katatonia

I loved it. It really did capture that 70s/80s vibe nicely, and wasn't insulting as some other recent efforts have tried to pull that off have been.

The Blu-ray looks great, gotta love that vintage 16mm grain! I can't really imagine watching it in anything less than 1080p now. The lossless DTS Master Audio track also does the job well for a low budget flick. The next time I may watch the film with the uncompressed PCM stereo track just to see what it sounds like in comparison to the 5.1 mix.

I haven't gone through all of the extras yet, but it looks like a solid release from Dark Sky/MPI.

10. bloodthrill

bloodthrill New Member

I nabbed THOTD on DVD today (with slipcase),and was quite pleased with it overall.In fact,I've watched it twice today,not counting listening to both commentaries,(neither of which are all that rich,to be honest).

I think this was a rare case where I actually benefited from reading up on it ahead of time,and knowing what to expect, (ie snail pace).
    Greta Gerwig as Megan cracked me up.
    What a quirky actress.The actual 80s tunes were ace.

Seeing Dee Wallace in a small cameo,and Queen of Camp Mary Woronov was a treat.I thought the film could've used a male teen love interest who shows up to scare Sam or something,and ends up getting dragged into the gory proceedings.That would've added to the throwback-feel in my opinion,even if he just called her on the phone to talk,and the story opted to leave her left her isolated.

Bottom line: Loved it,will be watching it again soon.Nice one,Ti West!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  11. Bad_Ronald_1983

Bad_Ronald_1983 New Member

This movies looks awesome. Looks very similar to 'Babysitter Wanted.' Like almost 100% identical.

-MATT-

12. bloodthrill

bloodthrill New Member

Where can you see Babysitter Wanted? For awhile,it was talked about everywhere,now.. nahthing. Was it even released in the U.S.? I'd love to see it.

13. Bad_Ronald_1983

I don't think it ever was released in the U.S. I had a friend download it for me and made a VCD of it. Awesome movie indeed, very similar to what this movies looks like.

-MATT-

14. bloodthrill

bloodthrill New Member

What's the quality of the VCD like,Ronald? I'd gladly throw a few bucks your way for a decent copy.After taking in "House", more babysitter mayhem is definitely in order.

They ought to release it as an Afterdark Horrorfest flick if nothing else,sounds like its deserving of some attention.

15. Bad_Ronald_1983

I'll look for it again and check out the quality. Last time I recalled, it looked really good, almost DVD quality. I'll have to check and see if my old dvd player or 360 will play it. I'll keep you posted.

Peace
    -MATT-

16. bloodthrill

bloodthrill New Member

Thanks,Matt. I appreciate it.

17. Vlachio

Vlachio Guest

I went shopping today for some shampoo & cheap clothes. If it wasn't for cheap clothes I'd walk around naked. Sure shit I saw this at the Target for $14.99. Now how in the hell did this film end up at Target wtf? :hum:

18. highclassrob

highclassrob Member

I think you can find it on eMule, they have tons of old horror stuff on there.

19. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

It ended up at Target because Target is the COOLEST of the big box stores. Don't you go knockin' my Target! A lot of kick ass titles in my collection have been bought there over the years.

20. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

Babysitter Wanted wasn't very good. I caught it On Demand last year and I wasn't impressed. The films are actually very different, aside from a few small plot similarities.