The Hitcher (Remake)

Discussion in 'General' started by Agent Z, Feb 18, 2005.

1. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Yeah, I thought it was worth a watch.

2. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

I saw the original, I don't need to see an "updated" carbon copy. Thanks though.

3. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I remember being so bored watching this in the theater when it was released. Gave it another shot, over a decade later, and actually kind of dug it this time around. It is at its worst when it's referencing the original film ("I want to die", tied between two trucks, etc), but the rest of it is a shiny, stupid, pretty-people-in-peril thrillride. If it hadn't been called The Hitcher and had just been a rip-off ala Joy Ride (which admittedly, is much better than this movie), then it might have been easier to stomach the first go-around. Taken as just a silly little 80 minute thriller where cars randomly fall out of the sky for the sake of a jump scare, it's a lot of fun. Love the "Closer" car chase.

Goes without saying that it doesn't come close to the original, but it's certainly way better than that belated direct-to-video sequel.

fceurich39 likes this.
  4. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I actually have the original on my list to rewatch. I was tired and fell asleep when I tried to watch it years ago. I did watch the remake and I only remember the pretty girl changing her clothes or something like that in the opening. Typical summer movie stuff in a movie from these producers. And the truck scene which I couldn't believe happened. Also, I think the credits music was pretty good. Sean Bean is a good actor though so I thought it was worth a watch for his crazy performance.

5. The Joker

The Joker Well-Known Member

On a related note, why the hell is the original not on bluray yet????

Mutilated Prey likes this.
  6. sinister

sinister Active Member

There's a good German blu-ray release of the original. Just be sure which one you're ordering from amazon.de , I ordered the re-make blu-ray at first by mistake (still haven't even watched that one yet) before finding the correct page for the original version.

They released mediabook versions of the re-make at exactly the same time as the special edition mediabook of the original version was released, apparently just to confuse fools like me who didn't even know there was a re-make. :rolleyes: Guess I should have paid more attention to this thread.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
  7. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I remember checking out the original last year and really enjoying it. Tried the remake and made it about 10 minutes before switching it off. Just felt teeny bopper with it's music which took me out of it. Not sure it's worth the time.

8. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

I'm not going to lie, I totally forgot they remade this one. I'm also pretty sure I saw it but can't remember a single thing about it. :confused:

Zombie Dude likes this.
  9. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I've seen the remake but not since its original release. I remember it being OK. I liked how the truck scene played out how I always wanted it too in the original. The downer for me is Sean Bean the casting is all wrong there.

When I do get round to revisiting and I end up hating it. It will never be with as much hatred as I have for the sequel to the original. Now that's an abomination!

10. Zombie Dude

I do want to see the scene of "person" being pulled apart by the truck. It surprised me that the original never showed this.

11. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

They definitely show it in the remake.

I first saw the original on the USA network way back when, and they put a commercial break at the end of that scene. I couldn't believe that had actually happened and spent the entire commercial break convincing myself they were still alive. When it came back and they were discussing at the police station, I was in disbelief. I was pretty young at the time, and I'm not sure I'd seen a movie where that type of character had been killed off before.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  12. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

There you go :D

Zombie Dude likes this.
  13. Zombie Dude

Thanks Steel!

Jeeze that was bad. I didn't realise they role reversed who was tied up to the truck. I didn't like that at all.
    Plus don't remake a movie with good characters and dialogue and leave that out of your movie. Just that small clip cemented that I don't have any desire to watch this through. I do however want to watch the original again. You may not see the split there but boy does it hold more weight.

Steel76 likes this.