The Hills Have Eyes (2006) Official Reaction Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by Peter Vincent, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Hey peoples. I started this thread early 'cause I scored me some press passes for a screening TONIGHT...2+ days before the movie opens nationwide. I'm kinda psyched since I've been craving a hardcore horror flick for a while and from what I've read from early reviews, I'm in for a gruesome treat.

I'll try my best to give my opinion mañana.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2006
  2. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I'm really looking foward to this as well. I'm a huge fan of Haute Tension and I trust Alexandre Aja will do a good job with "Hills". Whether or not you agreed with how he ended Haute Tension, Any fan of the genre can tell this guy has talent.

3. Bloddy-disgusting had an article a while back that after his next feature The Waiting, Aja wants to make an "Evil Dead" type movie. Now THAT would be cool to se. Raimi should lobby to hire him as the director of the Evil Dead remake.

4. Watched this at a screener last night and as promised, here goes my comments with no spoilers:

As a stand-alone movie, all in my party enjoyed the film (only me & my sister saw the original). U gore hounds will be pleased to know the level of blood & gore is quite substantial to fit your needs. Of course, I can’t help but compare it to the 1977 original and some of you might be happy to know it pretty much follows the original’s formula almost exactly. Its been roughly 2-3 years since I saw the original (for the first time no less) so it obviously isn’t fresh in my head, but the layout of the progress of the story followed it exactly with a few added twists & turns here & there (its no Psycho remake guys). Alexandre Aja was no doubt the best candidate for this remake. The pace is a little slow at times, and the character build up, though present, does NOT make you sympathize with the characters for the most part, but nonetheless necessary so its not one of those "mindless slasher flicks". All and all, quite an enjoyable 100+ minutes at the movies. People were cheering when the bad guys got there's...what a bunch of blood thirsty mofos!

Pros & cons:

Pros:

-Nicotero & KNB’s terrific make-up, as always.
    -Terrific suspense build-up (especially toward the end)
    -The film’s loyalty to the original with a couple of extra spices to make it just right.
    -“The Town”…’nuff said
    -Plenty of blood & guts (for you gore hounds out there).

Cons:

-Slow, quiet pace at times, could hear a lot of popcorn being chewed around me.
    -One of the freaks looks a little too much like Sloth from The Goonies (I couldn’t take him seriously at times because of that).
    -A bit of political undertones (Democrat thinking vs. Republican thinking).

As U can see, the Pros outweigh the cons nearly 2 to 1. Its a definite recommend from me (Though I still think the Texas Chainsaw remake is better) I’d give it a 7/10.

5. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Nice review, man. Will check this out. Thanks.

6. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

2 of your 3 CONS sound like PROS to me.

I'm still not interested in seeing this. The original is good enough for me.

7. Vincent Pina

Vincent Pina New Member

I also got to see it last night at a screening in Austin. Here's my reaction:

WARNING! SPOILERS AHEAD!!

Aja keeps to the original for the most part through the first half of the film. Some of the characters do exactly the same things and die the same way. After the pivotal trailer massacre/baby stealing scene, things change somewhat and Aja decides to make the last half a little longer and more violent and tense. The gore is definitely present with a shotgun blast to the head and many other sharp objects to the cranium making it to the screen. I have to say, though, that the Hill Dwellers aren't what they were in the original movie. There's hardly any talking from them (save for one invalid), one of which is simply a juggernaut (the Sloth-looking charcter as mentioned by Peter). The Ruby character isn't as prominent and sympathetic and the Papa Jupe character is reduced to practically nothing. Although the rage of the husband character is still there at the end, the movie opted to soften the last scene by capping off with a survivor reunion...the credits, however still run over a red background. Overall, I came out rather entertained.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2006
  8. studio1

studio1 Member

9. Vincent Pina

Vincent Pina New Member

Oh, yeah, I forgot fatass and his cronies were there.

10. studio1

studio1 Member

Poor Harry :lol:

[​IMG]

11. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

If they ever made a live action Simpsons movie... He'd be a good Comic Book Guy. :)

12. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

This sounds great, I will be seeing it for sure.

13. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

This is one remake I'm really looking forward to. Hell, I'm afraid I might like it more than the original.

14. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I thought the texas chainsaw remake was awful and i just cant see this one being any better- seems like they are just taking movies that were great at that particular time and glossing them up a bit and making them a little more brutal with less character just to try to make a quick buck- cant hollywood come up with anything somewhat original or new? oh well- it is kinda sad...

15. Doombear

Doombear Member

This movie was great! It had almost everything a horror fan would like. It had a few new creepy settings the original didn't have. Highly recommended. Maybe one of the best horror films in the last ten years.

I didn't like the Texas Chainsaw remake whatsoever, but I loved the Hills remake. I went in expecting hip teen crowd pleasing fare, typical of most remakes these days, but got lots of cool primal post-nuclear mutated violence which made some of the weaker members of the audience squeam. This movie delivered the horror goods with fresh twists.

16. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
  17. Surge92

Surge92 Guest

The only thing I want to know is if the movie is free of CGI, bullet-time shots, annoying MTV-style editing, etc..

18. You'll be pleased to know Aja uses no "bullet-time" shots. Not a whole lot of quick MTV cuts either. Only place I noticed possible use of CGI is for some of the squirting blood (Land Of The Dead style) and maybe the 1st kill...but barely noticable and much, MUCH less than most of the dreck released nowadays.

19. Anyone who did research on the director would know that's not his style...I mean so many of those techniques were used in Haute Tension.

20. Surge92

Surge92 Guest

It sounds like I will be checking this one out then. What ever happened to the good old days of fake theatrical blood though? It must be the influence of those unholy Japanese video games.