The Haunted (1991)

Discussion in 'General' started by It's me Billy, Mar 22, 2011.

1. It's me Billy

It's me Billy New Member

I think this 1991 made for TV movie starring Sally Kirkland and Jeffrey Demunn is the creepiest, scariest, most terrifying film dealing with the paranormal/supernatural that I have ever seen. It has never been released on DVD (why?), but I found a seller online that is selling DVD-R copies of it, most likely taken directly from the Fox Movie Channel because it is labeled as being uncut and commercial free. My copy shipped today and I should have it by the end of the week. The film centers on the happenings of the Smurl family haunting. How many of you have seen this film?

2. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

I have Billy and I can't stress enough when I say everyone should see it. This movie is the scariest I have ever seen sooooooo creepy. This film is very powerful and right up there with films like Dark Night of the Scarecrow. I really wish this would get a legit release. Sadly I just don't think it will happen any time soon. If fox decided do the DVD on demand format then that's the only possible solution. I do believe fox owns this movie unless if I'm wrong.

3. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Is this the movie where the wife gets possessed and forces herself on the husband? And I think at one point they go camping, and the orbs follow them to the campsite. And if I remember correctly, an apparition appears in the rocking chair in front of the grandma.

I might be mixing a couple different movies together, but if it is the movie I am thinking of, then I would love to see it again! I remember it being very good, I think I caught it on the SciFi Channel a looooooong time ago (late 90s maybe?).

4. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

No a ghost forces itself on the husband. Anyway yes, yes that's the same movie. This film is just insanely creepy and crazy.

5. It's me Billy

It's me Billy New Member

Thank you, Dobby. I feel just as strongly about this film. This film creeps the hell out of me, big time...still, everytime I see it. It's funny how a little TV movie with such a small budget and very little special effects can be so much more effective than a million dollar Hollywood theatrical film.
    When the mom hears the bath water splashing around upstairs like someone's taking a bath. As she goes upstairs to check, there's no music on the soundtrack (Here is where a theatrical film would have ruined this scene.) Nothing. No music. Just the natural elements. She enters the dark bathroom and faces directly infront of the shower curtain, still hearing the splashing water. She rips open the shower curtain. Nothing. No water. No one there. An empty bathtub.

And then there's that apparition from hell (This is where music was appropriate and this film got it exactly right, 100%. The sound of evil incarnate when that thing appeared.)

(For those of you who haven't seen the film, you might not want to spoil yourselves by watching the clips.)

By the way, I purchased my DVD-R copy from here. It was only $7.00 and shipping was free. When it arrives I'll post here regarding the quality.

6. It's me Billy

It's me Billy New Member

The rape scene is another in a long list of cold as ice creepy moments. The face on the young girl as she has the dad pinned down. :eek:

And who can forget..."Janet?"... "I'm down here, mom!"... "Janet?"... "Yeah mom, I'm down here!"..."JANET!"

7. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Sounds great - let us know. I would love a copy :D

8. NaturesMistake

NaturesMistake Member

I have a copy of it, loved it as a kid.
    The rape scene is one of the most hilariously goofy moments in any horror film. The rest of the film is fairly spooky though. The book was much better.

9. It's me Billy

It's me Billy New Member

I received this in the mail today. The image quality is very good. It was taken from Encore's Mystery channel. During the end credits, Encore's "You've just seen The Haunted" graphic pops up. Since this is a TV movie, image is 1.33:1, of course. And this is the uncut edition with no commercials. Whenever this film airs on a channel with commercials like TBS, Sy Fy, etc. the rape scene is cut down to almost nothing and the profanity is edited. Not so here. Very much worth the $7.00 I paid.

10. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Glad to hear it's good!

Did the seller give you any kind of artwork/case and is there a menu?

11. It's me Billy

It's me Billy New Member

No menus. When you insert the disc into the player, the movie begins playing. I'm not sure if there are chapter stops. I didn't try skipping around. The disc was housed inside one of those slim plastic cases, like Family Guy, King of the Hill, etc. And yes, cover art is included on the case, but it's very basic and generic.

UPDATE: There are chapter stops.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
  12. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I started a thread a few years back trying to remember the name of this movie.

http://www.horrordigital.com/vb3forum/showthread.php?t=34259&highlight=haunted

This movie creeped me out as a kid and I have been waiting for a legit release for a while now. I just may have to pick up that bootleg though as I don't see it getting a legit release anytime soon and $7 won't break my bank too much. Glad to see lots of people on here remembering/ being fond of this film!

13. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

The Haunted is now on Shudder. I watched it last Friday night and got nice and creeped out. I think Shudder would be a great place for made-for-tv horror with no physical media prospects to be exhibited. Would love to see them get Don’t Go to Sleep, The UFO Incident, or Alien Abduction: Incident in Lake County.

14. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Any chance the Shudder version is an HD transfer?

I could be wrong, but I heard the rights are with Fox. With Scream Factory dipping into the Fox catalogue recently, I wonder if there is a chance we might see The Haunted from them?

15. fattyjoe37

Not in HD, but free of logos and promos that have been seen on bootlegs.

I think Scream Factory have said they’re out of the TV movie game after the failure of their TV Terrors line several years back. Would still love to see this on disc, there’s gotta be a point where many of the favorites and obscurities have been snapped up by the various home video distributors and we start getting a good number of TV movies on Blu.

16. fattyjoe37

Head's up: The Haunted is already leaving Shudder after being available only a couple of weeks. Its premiere date on the service was delayed as well, so rights could be in a tangle. Watch it while you can!