The Hand?

Discussion in 'Classic' started by dwatts, Jul 17, 2003.

1. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I checked my DVD of The Hand (and Someone's Watching Me) and they both still load and play with no problems.

2. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

Best make a back-up while you can. Mine played fine a year ago, but now there is ZERO recoverable data on the 2nd layer. I tried to rip the disc in uber-slow mode with several different reliable programs. No dice.

3. youthief

youthief Member

I checked my copy and it froze at the door knock. I bought the box set when it was first released but I've sold the other titles and can't check them. It joins the other Warner titles I have to replace.

4. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear it. That's where the layer change occurs. Amazing. I don't think I've ever had a DVD-r fail, even those that are older than this box set. It's hard to believe the second layer is completely unreadable for so many of us.

5. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

So, the plot thickens!

I was thinking about selling my Someone's Watching Me DVD from the Twisted Terror set, as I own the Scream Factory blu-ray.

After the issue with The Hand, I figured I'd better check it before putting it up for sale. I'm glad I did!

When I put the disc in, the menu wouldn't even load. I was able to start the movie by pressing PLAY on the remote, which plays fine up until chapter 16 around the 57 minute mark. After that point, the disc is unplayable. So both dual-layer discs from this set have now crapped out, and both worked at one time. Disc surfaces are immaculate on both.

I'm just glad I checked it before selling it to someone and having to pay shipping! At least there is a blu-ray of this one.

6. gobad2003

gobad2003 Active Member

I had the same issue with my copy of The Hand from my set also so it's not only you. Whatever pressing plant WB used from around that year must have sucked because I have a couple from them that have crapped out from 2004. Let's hope they all get blu-ray releases so I can replace them.