The future of Blu-ray. What are your thoughts?

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by buck135, Feb 2, 2011.

1. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Do you think Blu-ray will continue to co-exist or eventually replace DVD? Will 3D have any impact on its future? Will streaming cause Blu-ray to be the last of the optical disc format? What are your thoughts?

2. Dave

Dave Pimp

I think it's going to be a niche but certainly a much bigger niche than laserdisc ever was. People have HD displays and want content. Sales have been pretty good so I think bluray has nothing to worry about in the near future. I think downloadable content will have its place and I can understand that. Many of my family and friends don't have the desire to rewatch movies - perfect for downloadable content. I do, at least for my favorites.

3. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

I don't see DVD going anywhere for a while yet, but the new trend in commercials saying "Own it now on Blu-Ray or DVD" has to say something about Blu sales over the last couple of years.

4. Sam

Sam Member

I honestly don't know. I'm pretty content with the merging of Blu and sd sd in the same package as long as price is still competitive. It's probably tough for the big wigs to completely drop dvd at this point since compatibility's so insanely high.. just about every computer and laptop out there has a dvd drive and almost all homes own a dvd player by now. I'm most worried about catalogue titles since they're poor sellers and it's looking like many classics may never see the light of day or maybe we'll get lucky and Best Buy will carry as an exclusive.

5. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Good point about the catalogue titles Sam. I braved the elements outside to pick up Heavy Metal today. I'm concerned not only about the titles that haven't been released, but the ones that have that go out of print so fast. The Watchmen Ultimate Cut is OOP and goes for about $90 already (it's only been out for a year!). I understand that it was limited, but my god! Bluray.com members have speculated about Fincher's Zodiac being on it's way to the OOP list as well. It isn't available anywhere for under $30 right now. I'm concerned the studios won't double dip in the future and these titles will cost me later because I didn't get them while they were available the first time.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  6. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I definitely think DVD is very slowly on its way out. I don't really think this has to do so much with blu-ray as it does with the emergence of digital downloads. Now if blu-ray will still be around long after DVD disappears, only time will tell. I'll say this, though, 4 out of 5 people I sell a TV to walk out of the store with a blu-ray player as well, so it's definitely catching on.

7. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

Thanks to backwards compatability, there is no reason why Blu-ray won't eventually completely replace DVD. Soon, the price of Blu-ray players will fall to a point where the manufacture of DVD players is no longer economical. Once we reach that point, you will start to see Blu-ray players in the majority of homes and Blu-rays start to replace DVDs as "standard fare" in chain stores.
    In the end, it won't be the superiority of Blu-ray that will guarantee its dominance; it will be its similarity.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  8. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

I'd predict that BluRay will be the last of the physical medium. Not necessarily thinking that I like this, but I think the relatively near future will include all your movies being stored on servers in the Cloud playable on all your media devices. You will be able to download high-quality to some sort of local storage system if you want, possibly for extra charges. But, that's down the road a bit. I'm pretty sure Blu will be around for the next decade or so. But, after that, any advances in technology/quality will be file based.

I'm not enthused by this, but it is where I see things heading. At least it means less crap to have to dust. And, I think it does mean that catalog releases and small indie films will have a better chance of distribution as the overhead costs will be significantly lower.

9. blu

blu New Member

I think Blu-ray will eventually become the only way to buy new releases. That said, DVD will still be around for a few years. Some of the top selling movies are getting 50% of their sales from BD versus their DVD counterparts. I'd say the niche stage of Blu-ray is already over. BDs are selling brand new for as little as $5 now. And tons of them are available for $10 or less. Prices have really been dropping these last few months. That's a great sign for its staying power. I also think that by the end of the year we'll see dozens of BDs in a $5 bin at Walmart. So I have no doubts that Blu-ray is going to continue to grow but I really wish the studios would pump out more catalog titles... enough with the double dips already!

10. blu

blu New Member

I agree with both points. Blu-ray will be the last physical medium and I'm not happy about that. There's something to be said for having a tangible movie collection.

11. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

I've stuck to my own New Year's resolution so far...no more DVDs. The only exception I will make are gifts and really good deals on TV seasons that I don't foresee crossing over to BD. Oh, and of course, the DVDs that are enclosed in combo packs with BD.

BD will be with us for at least ten more years, I predict. I'm not totally sold on it being the last of the physical media. I think there could be one more significant spin on the whole HD at home movement that we haven't considered yet that will enable more viewing possibilities of our favorite films than we ever imagined.

12. Dobby

Dobby Banned Mofo

I think DVD and blu-ray will both be on they're way out. What will replace both formats eventually I do not know.

13. tropical marsh

tropical marsh Member

I think saying that BD's will be around for the next decade is a little too optimistic. I'd give it five or six years, at most. Netflix is already trying to phase out physical dvds, and stores like Best Buy and Borders have reduced their move sections dramatically. :(

14. Dave79

Dave79 New Member

I think Blu-ray is possibly the last format. With so many people watching flicks online that will more or less be the wave of the future. Of course its possible for another format, but I honestly don't think there will be.

I don't see DVD going away anytime soon. I prefer BD, but DVD still looks fine and some people don't care about picture perfect quality the DVD is good enough.

But also the prices. BD isn't nearly as expensive as it used to be, when the BD is 25 and the DVD 15 I can see why people would go with the DVD and times are tough for many so go for the cheaper option.

If the prices are closer I think more people would switch to BD. For instance Hatchet II was 12.99 on DVD and 14.99 on BD. Prices close IMO will give BD the edge. But as for as formats go again I personally think BD is the last.

I like the idea of buying a movie and owning it. Guess its the film geek in me so I sure hope watching movies online doesn't replace BD or DVD

15. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

You'd have to think that after 3D, then either holograms or some other form of interactive experience would have to be next. There's nowhere else to go but surround vision.

16. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

17. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Until the US updates the entire country's high speed internet, downloadable movie content will not surpass physical media. I see that taking way more than a decade, so in that aspect, I do not believe BD will be the last physical format. As long as the next format plays DVD and BD, I'll be a happy camper (I'd be really happy if it played HD-DVD as well! lol).

18. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

anybody know what the first film released exclusively on dvd was? i remember a few years ago seeing a giant bin of new shrek vhs tapes for sale for $1 each at HMV, and it made me curious. i know things like the matrix had vhs releases, but by the time the sequels rolled around, they didn't.

19. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

That's pretty much what I was going to say. There will ALWAYS be physical media because there will always be a demand for the highest quality possible. High speed internet technology will never be able to keep up the pace. We don't have the infrastructure for everybody in the country (let alone the world) to download blu-ray quality films, and by the time we do then there will most likely be a more advanced format on the market like hologram discs. No matter what, internet streaming will always be a step or two behind unless society en masse decides that the quality of internet streaming is "good enough".

20. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Questions like that are usually as simple as "google". Supposedly it was TWISTER, which was more or less my first guess as initial releases are usually some lame current blockbuster and never a classic from the back catalog.