The Funhouse

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by J-Dub, Jan 30, 2005.

1. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Haha, indeed.

2. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Oh, and how F'd up is Amy's family? Seriously. The lack of respect Amy has for both of her parents. And the relationship between her and her brother? Yeah, that was a bad prank he pulled on her at the movie's opening, but does it warrant such a hate-filled rant from her? Then, when he KNOWS she's in grave danger, does he say anything? Naw, he's remembering the rant and doesn't wanna even save her. I've heard of sibling rivalry, but these two genuinely HATE each other.

Hooper did something similar with the less-than-ideal protagonists of Texas Chainsaw Massacre (and a nasty family relationship with Sally and Franklin) but he went off the charts with this one. I wonder if he doesn't get along with his own family very much?

3. Funhouse

Not Tobe Hooper's proudest moment.

4. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Nice, looks like I have the Universal release.

5. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

watched this for the first time after picking up the 4 movie marathon package with serpent and the rainbow, phantasm II, and Sssssss. As a movie, it was pretty decent, and one I'm glad to now have. But imagine my surprise when I realized that it was the same as the Dean Koontz novel "The Funhouse" that I had read in high school! I had no idea that they were the same, and apparently the book was meant to be a novelization. When the movie took so long to be released, the book ended up being published first. Pretty interesting, actually. I remember liking the book. The book was even sleazier than the movie, if I remember correctly. The lead girl was pregnant, and I believe the other girl who gets it by the air vent was more or less fucked to death by the creature.

6. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Yep. I recall reading that book when I was young and couldn't wait to see the movie afterwards. I was quite bummed that the film was so tame in comparison. Everything you remember is exactly what I remember, so it must be right.

7. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I too, read the book before seeing the movie. I saw it at a used book store not long after seeing the TV trailer (not the one on the DVD, but the one where Amy and Buzz are running though a funhouse that is different than the one in the film. You can find it on Youtube).
    I finally saw the film one hot August night on Showtime and was a little disappointed in the thrills and chills because I had been conditioned by "Friday the 13th's" creative effects at that point.
    I did, however, love that ending sequence which is a cinematic thrill - all that flashing light, machine noise and screaming is signature Tobe Hooper.

8. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I like a lot of what Hooper has done in his career, but I gotta think how disappointed people must have been showing up to film after film labeled as "from the director of the texas chainsaw massacre" and finding stuff that really wasn't anything like it.

9. saint211

saint211 New Member

good movie. a tad slow. but good.

10. Copyboy

Copyboy Well-Known Member

Had no idea this was the same as the Koontz novel. May have to pick it up. I used to read him a lot as a kid but stopped when his books all seemed to have the "and they all lived happily ever after" ending. I much prefered the darker and more realistic Stephen King stories because he wasn't afraid to kill off one of your favorite characters at the end of the book.

The only thing about this movie I really hate is the unmasking. The first time I saw the movie, I thought he was wearing a mask underneath his (very fitting) Frankenstein's monster mask. Could they have possibly made this guy look any more ridiculous? I always thought the handjob scene was very sad. I mean, he saved his allowance for how long just for THAT? He was just such a sad and tragic horror villain who deserved better than he got.

11. Zillamon51

Zillamon51 Member

I like this movie, though I haven't watched it in several years. I'd like to pick up the new 4-pack DVD, as I never upgraded from Goodtimes to Universal.

I've heard that Eli Roth is remaking this. I think it should be Rob Zombie (and in 3-D).

12. Drama Queen Die

Drama Queen Die Banned Mofo

There are boobs in it.

13. wago70

I agree about the unmasking - I wanted him to look just like the movie poster/quick shot at end of the trailer which looked more dynamic than the stiff mask.
    I actually started to not even be afraid of the monster halfway through the film when they showed him with the Madame Zena and then interacting with his father. By the time the cast is getting stalked, the monster was so humanized that I just wasn't scared for them. I HATE when movies make their villian sympathetic.

14. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

It's funny that you guys talk about the monster. This came out as I was maybe a pre-teen, just getting into horror. The monster was on the cover of Fangoria, and that photo just scared the crap out of me. I'd watch horror movies on cable, but when The Funhouse came on, I suddenly was "tired" and decided to go to sleep instead.

I never saw the movie till later in life, and of course by then the monster didn't bother me. I took that to being a little more thick-skinned as an adult. But after reading your comments, I realize that while the monster make-up made a great still photo, it just didn't "work" when seen in action.

15. hallo37

hallo37 New Member

16. Justin Kerswell

Justin Kerswell New Member

17. wago70

Will purchase, FOR SURE!

18. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

wow, this is too serendipitous not to pick up.

19. dickieduvet

dickieduvet Member

Easily on my most wanted BD list, Thanks Arrow, Please don't **** it up ;)

20. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

I have to agree especially when you go in with low expections after seeing Eaten Alive. I find it funny how Hooper has this whole hit & miss thing going for him.