The Funhouse

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by Cujo108, Nov 18, 2003.

1. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

The Funhouse is a fantastic little gem, and is easily Hooper's second best film right behind TCM! Its been a big favorite of mine for years! The carnival atmosphere is just fantastic. More horror films should take place at carnivals if you ask me. I love how they take a good while to tour the carnival before getting into the main storyline.

The funhouse itself is a great and claustrophobic setting. Very colorful too. Being trapped inside it is a nice and creepy setup.

While the creature is rather frightening, I truly feel very sorry for him every time I watch the movie.
    Especially when he meets his very painful demise.
    Also, the guy who played the creature's father was wonderful. Very good performance, and he believably cared for his son in a touching way despite his physical and mental problems.

Hooper's direction is spot on, and I enjoyed the film's style and visuals. Hooper really is great when he's at his best, and this film and TCM prove that..

Great film, and very underrated! Deserves a SE in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2003
  2. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

This one pops up quite often on here - and most everyone seems to like it:

http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/showthread.php?t=10861&
    http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/showthread.php?t=5928&

It is a great little film, and for some reason I don't seem to get bored with it.

I'm not going with the inevitable "it deserves an SE" because, quite frankly, people don't seem to be able to exercise any judgment in such things (let's face it, when was the last time someone asked for anything BUT an SE of one movie or another.) It does, however, deserve to be more readily available (I think it is now OOP). That's a crying shame. A reissue with a cleaner print and anamorphic would be nice.

3. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

At the very least, (as I'm sure I've probably said in one of those other threads), if you have a Laserdisc player, get a copy on LD. The picture quality isn't much, but the sound is great (with good surround effects), and it does have the rather creepy theatrical trailer.

4. geekcccp

geekcccp Guest

I bought this film awhile ago for dirt cheap and everytime I go to watch I'm asleep in the first half hour. It's odd because it looks so good and the first half hour is great.

5. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

That's a pity, because this film builds. I can see how that would happen though. Hooper spends a lot of time situating everyone, getting you used to the craziness at the funfair. Stick it out - it gets even better.

6. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

I own it on LD.

Wouldn't mind a anamorphic DVD release of this film though.
    Still a great movie. One of Hooper's finest.

7. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

Count me in as another fan of this movie. I love the way Hooper captured the carnival atmosphere flawlessly. I've watched my Goodtimes DVD many times and I will watch it again.

8. betterdan

betterdan Guest

I love this movie too. I agree the carnival is a very cool place for a horror movie. The insides of the funhouse are just so damn creepy with those mannequins and stuff. The sound rocks on the dvd also.

9. zombi3

zombi3 Pure Evil

I caught some of this flick on TV around Halloween. It looked really creepy from what I saw, but it was on pretty late on a weekday and I couldn't stay awake to watch the whole thing. I'll have to rent this one day.

10. betterdan

betterdan Guest

Just buy the Goodtimes dvd. It's very cheap and a pretty decent (although not anamorphic) transfer.

11. booper71

booper71 Lord of the Thighs.

the dvd that is out there definitely needs an upgrade, let's hope a better supervised edition comes out in 2004.

12. etale

etale Guest

It's been awhile, but I agree that it's one of his best, along with LIFEFORCE and of course TCM.

13. Tawny

Tawny You guys got sour balls?

The Funhouse has been OOP for some time now. (Although I do see it on eBay from time to time.)

14. Rock

Rock Member

I've been shouting this out for years...it begs a SE DVD w/commentary from Hooper and cast (I want to know why it had so many problems during production), and using the original poster art and tagline (Something is Alive in the Funhouse!)...the Goodtimes DVD is barely adequate...Universal should be ashamed of themselves for dumping this off...

15. etale

etale Guest

Perhaps Anchor Bay or Blue Underground?

16. betterdan

betterdan Guest

Really? wow I see it at Best Buy all the time.

17. oxbaker

oxbaker Guest

I read the book long before I ever saw the movie and, for once, the movie totally did the book justice.

18. etale

etale Guest

The book was written by Dean Koontz under the "Owen West" pseudonym.

19. oxbaker

oxbaker Guest

I'm actually glad you mentioned that coz it's long been a source of discussion between one of my friends and I. He said it was a Dean Koontz book but I don't remember his name being associated with it. I suppose I could've looked it up on the internet but this was easier. Thanks.

20. etale

etale Guest

You're quite welcome.
    I read about it in some article about Koontz's pseudonyms.