The Exorcist finally announced on blu-ray!

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Matt89, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

From blu-ray.com:

Warner Home Video has announced The Exorcist for release on October 5, in a two-disc Digibook edition, packaged with a personal letter written by director William Friedkin inside a 40-page booklet. Both the extended director's cut and the theatrical version of this 1973 horror masterpiece will be included, remastered from the original camera negative. Three new documentaries, produced by acclaimed documentarian Laurent Bouzereau, are also included exclusively in the Blu-ray edition.

Regarding the two versions, director William Friedkin says, "After my final cut of the original The Exorcist, I took out 12 more minutes before we actually released it in theatres. Years later, Bill Blatty asked if I'd consider reviewing some of that rejected footage (which he always felt should have remained) with an eye towards putting it into a new version. Bill gave me the best piece of material I've ever received and because of that and because the film had such a major reputation over some 25 years, I agreed to revisit all these scenes. When I saw them, I came to realize that Bill was, in fact, right. With technical advances, scenes that didn't work then could now be fixed with CGI and there were others that I thought strengthened the spiritual aspect of the film. Warner agreed and released a whole new theatrical print in 2000 which we called The Exorcist: The Version You've Never Seen. And I now agree with Blatty that this is the best and most complete version."

Said Jeff Baker, WHV Executive VP & General Manager, Theatrical Catalog, "Generally speaking, sourcing relevant and provocative film assets for older films (30 years and older), is difficult, and more often than not, proves to be unsuccessful. The never before seen behind the camera treasure trove of material that consumers will see in The Exorcist Blu-ray release is one of the great finds in modern day home entertainment history. Laurent Bouzereau, an acclaimed documentarian, has blended this archival rare footage with updated present day interviews to create a masterpiece that will be treasured and studied for decades to come."

Disc contents are as follows:

Disc 1: - Extended Director's Cut (2000) plus Special Features

• Commentary by William Friedkin
    • Raising Hell: Filming the Exorcist – set footage produced and photographed by Owen Roizman, camera and makeup tests, and interviews with director William Friedkin, actress Linda Blair, author/screenwriter/producer William Peter Blatty and Owen Roizman (new; Blu-ray exclusive)
    • The Exorcist Locations: Georgetown Then and Now – Featuring a tour of the iconic locations where the film was shot (new; Blu-ray exclusive)
    • Faces of Evil: The Different Versions of The Exorcist – with director William Friedkin and author/screenwriter/producer William Peter Blatty discussing the different versions of the film and featuring outtakes from the film (new; Blu-ray exclusive)
    • Trailers, TV spots & radio spots from the film's 2000 release
    Disc 2 - Theatrical Cut (1973) plus Special Features
    • Introduction by William Friedkin
    • Commentaries:
      • William Friedkin
      • William Peter Blatty with Special Sound Effects Tests
    • The Fear of God: 25 Years of The Exorcist [1998 BBC documentary]
    • Additional interviews with William Friedkin and William Peter Blatty:
      • The Original Cut
      • Stairway to Heaven
      • The Final Reckoning
    • Original ending
    • Sketches & storyboards
    • Trailers & TV spots from the 1973 version
    I'm diggin' that cover art too. Good thing they stuck with the original.

~Matt

2. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Wow, I hope this is region free. I have yet to buy the Exorcist in any form and this seem like the way to go. Plus I've never seen the theatrical version which a lot of people say they prefer to the new one.

3. shithead

shithead Death By Ejaculation

Well, now I HAVE to get a Blu-Ray Player...

4. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

One of my most anticipated Blu-ray releases of the year. This and the Alien movies.

5. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

You shouldn't have much to worry about. To date, I believe every single North American (and foreign I believe too) blu-ray release from Warner has been region-free. I think it primarily has to do with the fact that Warner owns the most titles out of any major studio, so it's very rare that a title owned by Warner in North America is owned by another company in foreign countries. Therefore, no reason or need to region-lock their titles.

~Matt

6. Zombie Dude

That's good to know then. I should probably pick up Poltergeist while I'm at it.

7. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I'm even more surprised that William Friedkin now prefers the version you never seen.

8. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Not a word about his "pastel look" so we'll have to see. French Connection didn't really have any heads up warning though. I wouldn't pre-order this until I saw a review.

9. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Glad both versions are included!

10. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

That's exactly what I was thinking as well. I don't know what I'm looking forward to more; this or a correct transfer of the French Connection.

11. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

I'm diggin' the specs! The Excorcist (and Psycho) are going to be the best horror Blus of the Fall.

12. Darryl Revok

Darryl Revok New Member

looks like a day one purchase to me

13. blu

blu New Member

Awesome that the theatrical version is being included. One thing I don't like about this is the digibook. I'll import the UK version which should be in a standard BD case. Call me anal but I like uniformity on my movie shelf.

Knowing Warner they won't include a lossless mono track either.

14. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

There seriously isn't much benefit from lossless mono. Criterion always uses original audio on their blu-rays (and most often it's lossless mono) and I dunno...lossless mono does nothing for me.

~Matt

15. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Yep. I'm pumped for this release, but I'm not selling my DVD until reviews are out stating that Friedkin didn't screw with the transfer.

16. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

I cannot wait. This is a must buy. Both versions to boot!! Woohoo!!!! :banana:

17. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

I like the packaging and both versions included. Anxious to read those reviews when they come out.

18. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Yeah, same here. I'm going to wait for some reviews just to be sure Friedkin didn't go Lucas here...which I really wouldn't doubt at all.

19. Zombie Dude

Actually I do remember reading about this before. Hopefully this release doesn't muck around with that.

20. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

That was my first thought as well.....god help me. I really can't afford this!